Wind power

Duh!!! Exactly LtKije. They are too expensive and too unreliable to be our main source of electricity. So why is boy Millipede expecting us (the taxpayers) to pay to build thousands of these monstrosities, and then to pay through the nose in quintupled bills? Is it me or has the whole world taken leave of the collective sense? :?:?:shock:

Asp.... the link just gives an error. Maybe just me.

Noticed this weekend that even more wind turbines have popped up in the sea at Llandudno since our last visit. They do tend to spoil the sea view a little (why don't they paint them sea/sky colour so they are less noticeable). None of them were actually turning though even though there was a good sea breeze :?:roll:

I read there are currently 2,120 odd wind turbines around the Uk. This number makes up LESS than 1% of the national electricity production.

On that basis, we would need around 212,000 to maximise " clean power "

My question is, When we take off who has the relevant qualifications in island steering?

I love wind power!!!! The problem is that it's unreliable and very expensive. However this country has loads of coal reserves, the world has (contrary to popular "Green" propaganda) oil reserves for hundreds of years yet. And there's always the clean nuclear power option. Don't listen to the doom - mongers, thats what they do - predict doom, it's what floats their boat. Solar power is also a great idea, except at the moment it won't meet our electricity requirements. So we're left with all the options the "Greens" don't want us to have. But actually if we found a way of producing all the electric power we required without using fossil or nuclear fuels I bet the "Greens" would find some objection to it. :roll::roll::roll:

What's your solution to the impending crisis LtKije? Bury your head in the sand time? :wink::wink:

Fusion power could solve all our energy problems but it?s still quite a long way off and we just need to be able to fill the gap until it?s up and working.

As Asperity says, there should be more than enough coal and oil reserves to see us through provided we don?t have any major world issues that cuts off supplies before then.

Bill :)

I think we have more than enough coal and oil reserves to keep us going for a long while but at the moment it?s just cheaper to import the stuff.

If push really came down to shove though, coal would become our lifeline and pits that previously were classed as uneconomic would suddenly become viable again.

Bill

If you google the question how long till we run out of crude oil, there are thousands of different answers but alot seem to think oil will peek in the next 10 years. Have you got a decent report

Yes I do know it is not the most reliable way to do it. googling that is :wink:

Well as I see it there can?t be a definitive answer when nobody really knows just how much is left and when expert opinion differs so widely. The only thing that?s certain is that the easy to get to stuffs getting harder to come by and as we have to look further and dig deeper the costs will increase and so its more an economic question.

The only reason we moved to oil and gas fired power stations was that the basic fuel was cheaper than our home grown coal. If the demands on oil from developing countries force up the price then it makes sense to start burning coal again even though the greens may throw a bit of a wobbler.

As for the windmills, I don?t think they offer much but more worryingly, if left in the hands of get rich quick private companies could actually do more harm than good by completely destabilising the power generation industry. :roll:

Consider this. If we all had our own wind generators and the wind was guaranteed to blow for 360 days a year, who would we turn to during the 5 days when the wind doesn?t blow? Ok, unrealistic numbers but the issues here are just the same and with our current system tethering on the edge of collapse at times, it wouldn?t take much to tip it over the edge.

Food for thought. :roll:

It is estimated that only about a third of the oil in the oil fields so far exploited has been recovered because of the difficulties involved. However with improved tecniques more of this oil will become available to recover. Peak (or peek for the uneducated) oil is a myth that has been bandied about for at least 40 years to my certain knowledge, and yet we are told that there are new reserves being found all the time. All thats needed is the will and resources. :wink::wink: