Statute of limitations?

observer

How long does this refer to? :? Seems two Kenyan's have lodged a claim for compen, for being imprisoned in a concentration camp by the British during the Mau Mau rebellion, in the 50s and 60s. :shock: This was standard military practise at the time, used to seperate local populations from supporting insurgent terrorists. :? Wonder if any of the British servicemen's families will be claiming against the Kenyan Government, for their loved ones being tortured and dismembered by the terrorists who later became the Government of Kenya? :twisted: btw guess we could all claim against the French for 1066! :roll:

I notice that David Cameron is saying that the only two areas safe from spending cuts if he comes to power are the NHS (could do with some fat trimming, but ok I can live with that) and International Development (what??????).

I don't understand how overseas aid can ever be prioritised over Law & Order, Defence, Old Age Pensions, Education, Highways - in fact, I can't think of anything I would put LOWER down the pecking order.

the statute of limitations is a bit of a complex thing and the time varies depending on what claim is for, varying from three years up to about twelve years or more in some cases.

however, it is said to run from the time the offence was committed, but exceptions do occur. one example is people only remembering something that may have happened twenty or thirty years back as in the case of some of the child abuse cases that were brought some time back. another is the asbestosis and silicocis claims as the effect of those substances on health were not evident at the time of exposure.

it also takes into account what proof is available and what people recall. also the reason why all the accident compensation adverts only ask if you have had a trip or fall in the last three years. any longer back than that and they are on very shaky ground unless you have definite proof.

I notice that David Cameron is saying that the only two areas safe from spending cuts if he comes to power are the NHS (could do with some fat trimming, but ok I can live with that) and International Development (what??????).

I don't understand how overseas aid can ever be prioritised over Law & Order, Defence, Old Age Pensions, Education, Highways - in fact, I can't think of anything I would put LOWER down the pecking order.

My guess is that Mr Cameron is thinking that much overseas aid has already been pledged on a long term basis, covering many years hence. He might of course like to consider the corruption in recipient countries....and the lifestyles enjoyed by their leaders.

That being said, given the dire state of the UK's finances, ALL departments' spending should at least be reviewed, that is not to presume in advance that they will all be reduced, indeed some might well require increasing, whilst for some there will be scope for reductions. I think the criteria should be "need" rather than "want".

Don't look at me Rifles I never said I agreed with it, I just wanted Obs to post the full story and not half of it, things look a little different when you have the whole story, You could have the whole of Israel sueing the state of Germany if your not careful :!:

Not aware that "statute of limitations" alters with the nature of the alleged crime? :? No doubt (in an insurgency) folk were killed or mutilated on both sides - it's called "war" - so I fail to see how this claim has`anymore relevance than the Boudica family making a claim against the Italians! :roll::wink: