Lymm School uniform poll

Gary

Should Lymm High School have a new uniform?  

54 members have voted

1. 1. Should Lymm High School have a new uniform?

• Yes
    • No
    • Not bothered either way

• Replies 190
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't think all issues have been resolved - I have just reported both sides of the story now! :roll:

I get the impression this uniform issue is split right down the middle with half in favour and half against - perhaps I should have the casting vote! :lol:

So presumably we can look forward to you fearlessly publishing the latest fact: "Top local magazine editor retracts claim of 10 to 1 opposition to controversial new uniforms after a storm of protest from sensible parents is supported by his own online poll results"?

I think that's in your style - and I've reused your two favourite phrases "controversial new uniforms" and "storm of protest".

I don't think all issues have been resolved - I have just reported both sides of the story now! :roll:

I get the impression this uniform issue is split right down the middle with half in favour and half against - perhaps I should have the casting vote! :lol:

So presumably we can look forward to you fearlessly publishing the latest fact: "Top local magazine editor retracts claim of 10 to 1 opposition to controversial new uniforms after a storm of protest from sensible parents is supported by his own online poll results"?

I think that's in your style - and I've reused your two favourite phrases "controversial new uniforms" and "storm of protest".

You can look forward to me reporting the facts as they are when we go to press.

I was at Lymm today and the vast majority of people who spoke to me are still not entirely satisfied with the way the whole saga has been handled by the Head Teacher and the board of Gorvenors.

In fact not a single person spoke in favour of what has been going on - and that was talking to a lot of influential people in the village !

and that was talking to a lot of influential people in the village !

So people who are not influential don't get asked for their opinions? It is relatively easy to get the result you want by selective interviewing.

If you were seeking opinion that Liverpool are the best team in England you wouldn't ask Wolfie, Peter and myself would you?

and that was talking to a lot of influential people in the village !

So people who are not influential don't get asked for their opinions? It is relatively easy to get the result you want by selective interviewing.

If you were seeking opinion that Liverpool are the best team in England you wouldn't ask Wolfie, Peter and myself would you?

Keep trying to ruffle my feathers old balding Eagle - of course everyone is entitled to their opinion but it is the school governors who make the decisions.

All I can say is they are upsetting a lot of influential people.

I don't get to make the decisions I just report the facts.

Now stop trying to twist my words and go back to your nest!

I'm not entirely sure why you are so interested in this issue being a gobin from Glazebury! :wink::lol:

Ah, now, that's a different matter. I think you can accurately say that the majority of us are a bit disappointed that Governors who are familiar with our community didn't give a little more thought to avoiding trouble. Not to say they acted improperly, simply that if a bit of butt-kissing could have avoided all the tantrums, then maybe puckering up was the way to go..... :)

Still, the war's over and both sides have their main objectives - new uniforms are coming in AND all the kids currently at LHS can come back in September in the same kit they're wearing today. Hopefully there'll be something a bit more interesting in the Borough of Warrington for you to report! :wink:

I think it's more a case of people who want their opinions in print seeking Gary out, don't you? Being an editor makes a difference to the way people interact with you. But with 12000 residents and almost 4000 of us with kids in school, he had a hell of a night if he spoke with a truly representative sample... :lol:

I think it's more a case of people who want their opinions in print seeking Gary out, don't you? Being an editor makes a difference to the way people interact with you. But with 12000 residents and almost 4000 of us with kids in school, he had a hell of a night if he spoke with a truly representative sample... :lol:

Like I have said - I can only report the facts as I am presented with them.

Like any self respecting journalist I seek comments from both sides of any controversial story - if no response is forthcoming or takes a long time to arrive you can only report the facts you have got.

Unfortunately I don't think we have quite heard the last of this on going saga.

Like I have said - I can only report the facts as I am presented with them.

Like any self respecting journalist I seek comments from both sides of any controversial story - if no response is forthcoming or takes a long time to arrive you can only report the facts you have got.

Unfortunately I don't think we have quite heard the last of this on going saga.

Excuse me? Comments from both sides? 300 kids signed a petition, 1700 did not and you published the unedited views of the 300 without ever attempting to get comment from anyone who chose not to sign. In your second article, one pupil got a voice - the pupil responsible for organising the petition. Where in either article is the quote from a parent or pupil in favour of the new uniforms? Or indifferent to them? You painted every single one of us, parents and pupils, in rebellious colours and it was an offensive misrepresentation to a great many of us. Asking the Head to comment before the official consultation period closed was also unfair - a man of your experience knows she can't do that. You knew when you asked her that the only comment would be "no comment".

I respect your right to spin stories and publish whatever you think will boost circulation and safeguard your ad revenue - you're a journo, not a social worker and Lymm Life is a moneymaker, not a professional journal - but this "I can't help it if publishing the noble truth upsets people. It's my calling." is getting right up my nose!

No, please don't devalue her, she's actually a really nice, intelligent girl who was expressing her opinion in a perfectly appropriate and constructive manner. I meant no criticism of her or the petition itself at all - of all the things that have gone on, the petition is the one example of how to do it properly. I have no quarrel with her views or their publication, and the quote in the second article showed more maturity and grace than a lot of adults have managed! It's just that it wasn't the full picture, only part of it.

However, I am starting to wonder whether offering Gary lunch with Gerrard might get the balance shifted!! :lol:

LymmParent...... don't you think you are being a bit OTT.

I have just read the Lymm Life magazine and it seems a reasonable and fair bit of local reporting to me.

Presumably those who wanted the new uniform (including parents and kids) didn't bother to contact the press themselves to get their side of the debate and reasons 'for' across. :roll:

Strange considering it was getting so much 'bad' publicity. :wink: :

Anyway it's sorted now :D

It's my fault I have been misrepresented in print because I don't make a habit of updating the local press with my satisfaction that LHS is being run appropriately? Are you related to Gary? Is he entitled to print that I am an international jewel thief if I don't ring to tell him I'm not?

Read the Lymm Action Group notice of meeting for yourself in the comments online. Something about stopping this woman before she destroys our school. Clearly we are in for more unrest. I'm not OTT or aggressive, I'm not looking to stop them getting into print, I respect their right to an opinion - BUT I am after Gary to realise that the situation is not "parents and pupils versus Head and Governors" and a balanced view of the facts needs to reflect that.

I was pleased with the letter I received from the school this weekend. That they are phasing in the uniform was inevitable I belive but I cannot help feeling that the strength of feeling that has been shown by the pupils, parents and forums / blogs, including the school one, has led to a more considered consultation process moving forward. They are now 'asking' us for our opinion on make up, shoes etc. and getting the kids involved in designing the 6th form uniform. Even if they don't get their way (and we all know you can't all of the time) at least they will feel involved. There is a parents meeting in the evening with adequate warning rather than during the day with 2 days notice like last time.

I am very positive that all of this bad publicity and discussion will have long reaching positive effects on the new head as she moves forward.

It's my fault I have been misrepresented in print because I don't make a habit of updating the local press with my satisfaction that LHS is being run appropriately? Are you related to Gary? Is he entitled to print that I am an international jewel thief if I don't ring to tell him I'm not?

Read the Lymm Action Group notice of meeting for yourself in the comments online. Something about stopping this woman before she destroys our school. Clearly we are in for more unrest. I'm not OTT or aggressive, I'm not looking to stop them getting into print, I respect their right to an opinion - BUT I am after Gary to realise that the situation is not "parents and pupils versus Head and Governors" and a balanced view of the facts needs to reflect that.

Lymm Parent - I have scoured all of the online comments I can find and I cannot find one from lymm Action Group which says anything about stopping this woman before she destroys the school. In actual fact I can't find any comment at all from Lymm Action Group although some of their members may have commented individually. I don't know if you're aware but Lymm Action Group sent an extremely professional and well written, positive, constructive letter to the governors and I cannot help but think that their actions were in part responsible for some consessions that were made. By attacking them without fact or details you are just as guilty as those you are criticising!

It's my fault I have been misrepresented in print because I don't make a habit of updating the local press with my satisfaction that LHS is being run appropriately?

No of course not although you are taking it all rather personally. Considering the amount of bad press the head teacher, governors and school were getting I just wondered why no-one openely spoke out in favour and backed them etc... Lymm is a wonderful school by the way :wink:

Are you related to Gary?

EEK I hope not !! ..... :shock::lol: I don't think for one minute Gary would want to be related to me either would you Gary :roll::roll::lol:

Is he entitled to print that I am an international jewel thief if I don't ring to tell him I'm not?

:?:roll: Now you are being silly as I'm sure you would ring to correct him on that one :wink:

I am after Gary to realise that the situation is not "parents and pupils versus Head and Governors" and a balanced view of the facts needs to reflect that.

But it was "parents and pupils vs head and governors" although admitedly not all of them :wink:

A balanced report is easy..... just make sure that the press have both sides of the story next time it all kicks off :wink:

No, please don't devalue her, she's actually a really nice, intelligent girl who was expressing her opinion in a perfectly appropriate and constructive manner. I meant no criticism of her or the petition itself at all - of all the things that have gone on, the petition is the one example of how to do it properly. I have no quarrel with her views or their publication, and the quote in the second article showed more maturity and grace than a lot of adults have managed! It's just that it wasn't the full picture, only part of it.

However, I am starting to wonder whether offering Gary lunch with Gerrard might get the balance shifted!! :lol:

I am totally satisified with the way I have reported this "ongoing" story.

The parents and pupils I interviewed were directing their comments at the Head Teacher and Governors, not other parents.

From what I have seen my article has encouraged a lot of healthy debate on this situation. I have reported the schools side of the story and parents and pupils have had the opportunity of freedom of speech on a local website and forum.

If you wish to continue to publicly critise me please have the decency of making yourself known to me.

Otherwise I will have to ignore your personal attacks on my integrity as a journalist of 30 years experience and publisher of 10 years experience.

gail123 wrote:

LymmParent wrote:

Lymm Parent - I have scoured all of the online comments I can find and I cannot find one from lymm Action Group which says anything about stopping this woman before she destroys the school. In actual fact I can't find any comment at all from Lymm Action Group although some of their members may have commented individually. I don't know if you're aware but Lymm Action Group sent an extremely professional and well written, positive, constructive letter to the governors and I cannot help but think that their actions were in part responsible for some consessions that were made. By attacking them without fact or details you are just as guilty as those you are criticising!

Suggest you scour again, because underneath the article online where Miss Walsh details decisions, you will find the following:

LHS Action Group ( Author)

said this on 25 Jun 2009 9:49:42 AM BST

lymm High School action group set up by the parents are holding a meeting at the Little Manor, Thelwall at 7:45 on Monday 29th June. Lets stop this woman before she destroys our school.

I don't tell lies and I don't make accusations I can't prove, and I don't misrepresent other people.

As an ex-Lymm high school pupil, I believe that changing the uniforms won't change how the pupils "wear it " Skirts will still get rolled up, shirts will still hang out, and ties will still be worn anywhere but where they should be !!

It was 13 (ish) years ago when i left Lymm high, and to be honest left with little respect for teachers and head alike, I didnt wear make up, or roll my skirt up, but for the ones that did, it seemed teachers were far too afraid of the confrontation of asking a girl to remove her makeup or wear the skirt at correct length !

It seems to me, that this change in uniform will not solve any issues, unless the teachers get a back bone and confront the students who dont dress appropriatly. But that will never happen :?

Maybe school was just one bad experiance after another for me, but im happy to say my kids wont be going there !