School uniform row

Gary

• Replies 158
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Woolston got a new uniform back in about 1993. No-one was particularly impressed, it seemed like a case of the new head coming in and trying to make a name for himself. I wouldn't say "lipstick on a pig" as it was and still is (just) a great school, but all seemed to be of the opinion that it was a bullet point on the head's CV for when he applied for a role at a more prestigious school...

Having said that, there were considerations made for older pupils. Anyone in the top two years wasn't required to get a new blazer that they would not see much use of. A new tie and a black jumper (instead of the grey one) was all that was required.

Lymm always had a recognisable distinctive uniform.

It certainly will have a recognisable one if any of the new options are chosen. Blazer in option 3 MUST be a joke and I think Eagle has hit the nail on the head :lol::lol: Poor kids :?

Kate's comments made me wonder.... .... IS the boys uniform changing too or just the girls one? Surely the boys won't be expected to wear the same style blazers or checked trousers :shock::shock::?:

Talk about tacky and cheap looking... options 1 and 3 certainly meet that criteria :shock::lol:

Perhaps they should all refer to the DirectGov and Teachernet websites etc regarding the implementation of new school uniforms too :wink:

PS It's the Governors who make the decisions not the Headmistress :wink:

I believe the "preferred" uniform, preferred by the Head anyway, is the one on the left with the red piping and the black and white kilt. Apparently, Dismayed, the boys will wear black trousers with that hideous blazer. Just imagine if they had to wear tartan trews - they'd look just like Billy Bunter. :shock:

The uniform is being set back by more than half a century. The unrest and disruption (there's more at issue than just the uniform here) may set back the pupils' education immeasurably.

But if they do, in some instances, it will make the position of the Head Teacher untenable...with all of the implications that that brings. So it is sometimes best for all parties to have informal discussions to see how the land lies, otherwise it can all become a bit of a power struggle and a strength of wills.

the blazer on the right belongs to my old school (can tell by badge) not sure they will be too pleased to have their blazer copied especially as there was never any love shown towards our school buses by Lymm school kids (used to throw eggs and stuff at us - good job Crosville buses used to break the speed limit leading up to Agden Brow to make us all sick!!!!!!!!!!!!!)

Oh happy days I hated our uniform we were sticks of rock - talk about punishing kids for going to school wonder how many will truant rather than wear the chosen uniform (whichever awful one is chosen!!!!) :roll::roll::cry:

PS they still wear the same blazers today :cry:

Thought the theory was that the Govenors are elected (some of them anyway) by the parents, and the rest appointed by the local Council (who in turn is an elected body); so again (in theory) they should be reflecting the views of the parents and Council Tax payers - NOT the Head?! :?:shock:

Thought the theory was that the Govenors are elected (some of them anyway) by the parents, and the rest appointed by the local Council (who in turn is an elected body); so again (in theory) they should be reflecting the views of the parents and Council Tax payers - NOT the Head?! :?:shock:

Do you mean like MP's reflect the views of the electorate? :?:?:lol:

Hurrah :wink: ....and not forgetting that it is also the board of governors who actually interview and appoint any new head teacher (and they also have the power to sack them :shock: ). The BOG also have a duty to follow the DFeS and DirectGov etc guidelines over uniform policy and change too.

I still have the opinion that the new headmistress is getting all the flack when she is just following orders as the issue of a new school uniform at Lymm seems to have been talked about for quite a while and was apparently part of the interview process according to one of the elected council BOG members :?:wink:

PS Eagle.... 1st blazer without the tacky piping or make the piping a LOT thinner to give it a bit of class rather than a looking like a sown on piece of surplus hair ribbon :lol:

The time the meeting was held was benefitial to whom? This consultation process is a joke. The choice of new uniforms i feel are awful. Replacing the current uniform, which is totally adequate, when worn correctly, is unnecessary. The moral in school is shot. My confidence in the head is non-existant.

Families once moved into Lymm because of the excellent school, i doubt that will continue as so many teachers are leaving or have already left. Is it obvious there is a major problem, i would name and shame but i don't feel i need to as it is obvious who the major problem is

Replacing the current uniform, which is totally adequate, when worn correctly, is unnecessary.

I just posted this on the other thread, perhaps I should have put it here as this one's being going longer :oops:

A lot of what is said seems to relate to the current uniform not being worn correctly etc. If the pupils appearance is that bad how is a new uniform going to make it any better. Skirts can still be rolled up, ties worn half mast, shirts untucked etc etc.

Maybe an option would be to say.... "right you lot... START WEARING YOUR CURRENT UNIFORM PROPERLY... right style skirt (no shorter than just above the knee), ties tied nicely, shirts and blouses tucked in. trousers around the waist boys and NOT hanging under your buttocks showing your undies and we'll say no more about it.....

If you don't you get STRIPEY BLAZER No. 3 and CHECKED SKIRTS/TROUSERS... end of consultation"

That should sort it out :lol::wink:

The moral in school is shot. My confidence in the head is non-existant.

Families once moved into Lymm because of the excellent school, i doubt that will continue as so many teachers are leaving or have already left. Is it obvious there is a major problem, i would name and shame but i don't feel i need to as it is obvious who the major problem is

I can understand moral being low at the moment but surely teachers aren't leaving just because of a proposed change of uniform :shock: That seems a bit over the top :?

Dis, I get the impression that there's a lot more going on at the school than just the uniform change. That's just the main issue which has sparked the parents and kids into action.

Amongst other things the school day is being re-organised to shorten lunchtime and squeeze in an extra lesson. This has a number of knock-on effects.

It means that different school years have their lunch break at different times which, in turn, will mean that lunchtime clubs covering multiple yeargroups such as drama or certain sports will simply cease.

There is the increased workload staff are being asked to take on preparing for, conducting, and marking from an extra lesson each day, and there have also been questions over whether the new timetable will guarantee that each staff member actually gets a lunchbreak at all.

From what I've heard staff morale is as low as it's ever been, and this can only be a reflection of the new heads managment style.

When we first moved to this area, 33 years ago, we chose Lymm because it had an excellent grammar school. Our elder daughter was already a grammar school pupil and our son was coming up to 11+. They both went to Lymm Grammar, or Lymm High as it became, and our younger daughter followed 10 years later. It was still an excellent school.

There were 4 "houses" when my children were there. I believe they now call them "halls". Belonging to one of the halls is a matter of pride, reflected in sporting and other prowess, and up to now the colour of the tie has shown which hall the pupil belongs to. I am told the new Head wants to abolish the halls and the tie colours as well as the changes that Inky Pete has pointed out that have resulted in teachers resigning.

Had things been, in 1976, as they are now, I think we might well not be living in Lymm. It was, definitely, the school that swung it for us but it wouldn't influence anyone today and it isn't the children who are at fault.