Definition of Fly Tipping?

ReaderComment

Origional Report

Mike said

So putting out too many bags of paper for recycling is now a criminal offence.

It would seem that Lesley has been the victim of green fascism.

Oh and I would expect that a local "newspaper" would actually check a street name? Avenue?

Not on any map I have seen of the area.

Bill said

Isn?t it time to say stop here because this is all wrong.

When I went to school, fly tipping was the criminal act of dumping rubbish in a country lane, not putting waste outside your own home for recycling.

Who gives these people the right to change the definition of fly tipping and make the act of simply putting your own rubbish out for collection into a criminal offence?

It doesn't actually say that the fan mail was unopened; however the sensationalist headline leads one to believe that was the case :D

If you think that is sensationalist god knows what you would have made of the national headlines! :roll:

Anyone would think she was about to be locked up!

I?m sure it won?t come to that but issuing an arrest warrant demonstrates just how far these self-important jobsworths are prepared to go. Defra?s guidance on fly tipping are very clear however the interpretation of certain councils (Liverpool in particular) is so far off the mark as to make a complete mockery of Defra?s figures.

Fly tipping by definition is covertly disposing of rubbish and that?s far removed from putting bin sacks outside your own home and anyone who say?s differently is either an idiot or must work for the council. The administrative costs of this sort of fiasco (just like the bloke who stands at the tip asking for your postcode) is born by us the taxpayer. :x

Sack the bloody lot of em I say and return us to the situation where bin men just take your rubbish away without all this fuss.

If there were 15 bags, couldn't she have taken them to the tip, must admit it seems a bit scruffy to dump them outside of the house.

It would be interesting to know if somebody visited her to tell her to get them shifted, or if she was just sent a letter telling her she was to be prosecuted.

At Stockton Heath, a camera takes your car registration number :shock:

Why do they do that then ? I can't see the point. Must admit I've not seen the camera there :lol:

Are there any signs advising people that they are being photographed or video'd :wink:

Anyway back to Georges S...... maybe his family could be issued with extra blue bins to solve the problem......that would be much cheaper than court warrants and such costs ..... although I would imagine his fans wont be too pleased to read that their fan mail is being binned :shock::wink:

Like already mentioned... people tend not to 'fly tip' outside their own homes :roll::wink: so goodness knows why it's got the massive headlines it has... it's even on the Virgin Media front news page today :roll:

I agree with Bill...... things should return us to the days where bin men could just do their jobs and take the rubbish away without worrying about all the pathetic rules and fuss :roll:

From what I?ve read, she hasn?t lived in the house for almost a year and the fist she knew about it was when it appeared in the papers. Who put them out (or dumped in your words) the reports don?t say but it doesn?t alter the fact that such actions, probably done with the best of intentions, shouldn?t be classed as a criminal act and result in such draconian measures.

As for using cameras to clock registrations; who pays for all that and what does it actually achieve? :roll:

Bill :)

Sorry Dismayed but I just didn?t see your post.

I got my registration taken at Woolston for refusing to disclose my postcode. I asked what they intended to do with it and was told to just wait and see, so I?m probably on some council blacklist now for recycling an old printer.

We shouldn?t have to disclose any information in order to visit the local tip and certainly we shouldn?t be faced with threats. The Gestapo mentality that?s evolved in recent years seems to be getting carried away with itself and I think the time has well and truly come to say enough is enough. These people seem to have lost sight of the fact that they?re public service employees; not our masters.

If there were 15 bags, couldn't she have taken them to the tip, must admit it seems a bit scruffy to dump them outside of the house.

Why? She got 15 sacks of unsolicited mail, perhaps she should have asked Royal Mail to take them away?

Or perhaps, and this is just a bit of a wild thought, but perhaps, just perhaps, the refuse service that she pays her bloody council taxes for could have taken away the refuse packed so nicely in refuse sacks?

Why? She got 15 sacks of unsolicited mail, perhaps she should have asked Royal Mail to take them away?

Or perhaps, and this is just a bit of a wild thought, but perhaps, just perhaps, the refuse service that she pays her bloody council taxes for could have taken away the refuse packed so nicely in refuse sacks?

Rather than unsolicited mail, I would guess that it is fan mail from the fans who voted for her son, and in so doing gave him a substantial income. I would suggest that with such fame comes an element of responsibility. Personally if the mother did not want the letters then as I said before the easiest thing would be to take them straight to the tip....or to ask Royal Mail to divert them elsewhere. Anyway on the upside it has created a Forum topic. :wink:

It has been reported that last year she did not pay her council tax and that baliffs had to persue the debt. :wink:

Not sure what that has to do with anything at all, unless you are suggesting that WBC would take that into consideration in a case like this.

The point is that the WBC refuse collection service, has low levels of service compared to other local councils. Salford, for example, collected twice over the Christmas period, whereas in Warrington there would be a 2 week gap in service. There don't appear to be any council snoopers going through bins in Salford, and their priority appears to be to remove household refuse, not prosecute for minor digressions of the, quite frankly, stupid rules in place in Warrington.

Paul, as a councillor, could be questioning why this sort of thing happens in Warrington, however the policy was put in place by Council officers, who are unelected, not really accountable to anyone, and really make a mockery of any sort of democratically elected body. How could a voter in Warrington get this policy changed? At the ballotbox? No, whichever party is "in power" is really there to rubberstamp the officers who make policy that affects the population of Warrington.

As for asking for identification at recycling centres.. What purpose can this achieve? Apart from collecting data on those people willing to use the centres... Big brother gone more mad!

Paul Kennedy wrote:

It has been reported that last year she did not pay her council tax and that baliffs had to persue the debt.

I?m glad someone else responded to that. The fact that this person had a problem in the past paying their council tax has no bearing on the matter. Attempting to dig up dirt to discredit an individual and distract from the issue is a political tactic that has no place here.

This issue is, should simply putting out too much or the wrong type of rubbish for collection be classified as a crime with threats of fines and possible imprisonment?

This weekend, my wife accidentally emptied grass cuttings into the recycling bin and ended up getting so upset about it that it wasn?t funny. There?s no way on earth that some unelected plonkers at the council should be allowed to created a situation that reduces my wife to tears over something as trivial as this. :(

She has now been remanded on bail to appear at court at a later date according to Gary's updated news page this afternoon.... and NO I do not think it is at all relevant if the lady has, for whatever reason, fallen behind on her council tax payments in the past either. :roll:

As I've already said on the news page.....

Zzzzzzz :(

'Warrant for her arrest' and 'remanded on bail' and never ending news articles about it both locally and nationally.

It's bags of paper outside her house for god sake....carrier bags or bin sacks who cares. How long were they there for and why didn't the recycling people just take them away (guess they couldn't if they were placed inside plastic bags as that goes against the rules)

Pity not as much effort is put into catching and prosecuting criminals, vandals and all the other law breakers in Warrington and everywhere else for that matter. Grrrrr....

Captain Chaos is absolutely correct, our councillors should be indeed be asking questions.

I think though the elected councillor here has made his position on this quite clear when he called putting out bags of waste ?dumping?, made reference to their ?substantial income? then went on to discredit the family for their past inability to pay council tax.

Oh I?ve just remembered, I didn?t vote so I have no right to complain about anything, have I Paul?

Bill

Since this woman hasn't lived in the house for quite a spell could these bags of mail have been "dumped" by the postman?

If only crimes against people and property were prosecuted with as much zeal as crimes against the environment.