Team G.B.?

observer

The Welsh and Scottish FA's are afraid of FIFA taking away their staus as "national" Associations, so they're refusing to take part in anything which might suggest that they are actually part of GB.

Looks to me like they'd rather be on the international scene just making up the numbers than be part of something bigger which could give most other nations a run for their money.

The Welsh and Scottish FA's are afraid of FIFA taking away their staus as "national" Associations, so they're refusing to take part in anything which might suggest that they are actually part of GB.

Looks to me like they'd rather be on the international scene just making up the numbers than be part of something bigger which could give most other nations a run for their money.

Some of us are not blessed with the 'glory hunter' gene, but are blessed with national pride, and would rather take part as ourselves, than bastardise ourselves in the pursuit of vicarious glory.

It's also far bigger than that, which seems to have escaped Coe and his cohorts. If the individual national teams go, so will the associations, and if the associations go, so will the leagues. You would end up with the British league under one British governing body.

Blatter has categorically stated that if a team GB is formed, he cannot guarantee to protect the home nations status.

Why the English are so hell bent on jeapordising that for a mickey mouse tournament is the most baffling thing in this whole misguided farce.

We know why Coe wants it, but why have the English Fa been suckered?

There have been plenty of examples in recent years of top class British players who could have easily held a regular place in a GB side, but who've been a bit wasted playing their international football alongside lesser player in Wales, Scotland or Northern Ireland shirts.
...or England.

What's the problem with fielding a proper "national" footy team for the Olympics? :?:roll:

Two points really

1. There is no GB FA, so a 'proper' national team would be England, Scotland, NI or Wales.

2. It's not a 'proper' tourney, so why is anyone bothered about entering a team?

Some of us are not blessed with the 'glory hunter' gene, but are blessed with national pride,

But our nation is the United Kingdom.

Nations issue passports.

Nations have governments with full legislative powers.

Nations have their own armed forces.

Principalities and semi-devolved regions don't.

Some of us are not blessed with the 'glory hunter' gene, but are blessed with national pride,

Nations issue passports.

Stop trolling. Your lack of national pride does you no credit.

Coe wants it because football is the sport that interests more people in this country than the majority of the daft sports that are increasingly creeping into this overblown gathering of blazers, takers and egos.

What Coe doesn't realise is that the average football fan doesn't give a monkeys about the Olympics, GB team or not.

Bring back the Home Internationals.

Coe wants it because football is the sport that interests more people in this country than the majority of the daft sports that are increasingly creeping into this overblown gathering of blazers, takers and egos.

What Coe doesn't realise is that the average football fan doesn't give a monkeys about the Olympics, GB team or not.

Of course it is, that's all it is about, a very lame attempt to curry favour with the British public who have much less inetrest in any of the spoerts at the games, than they do football.

Bring back the Home Internationals.
Ironically, there is only one nation against that :wink::roll:

Nations issue passports.

Stop trolling. Your lack of national pride does you no credit.

I'm British first, Lancastrian second, English third. Proud of all of them, but British is my nationality and will always take precedence.

I'm British first, Lancastrian second, English third. Proud of all of them, but British is my nationality and will always take precedence.

Fair enough, each to their own.

But the thing is, the English especially will call themselves English before British, and use English when they mean British, more than the Scots or Welsh (and half of Norn Ireland :lol: ) ever do, so you're not talking for your countrymen, and you're not talking for the other countries of the UK either, who are happy enough with Britain, but want to be represented by their own national teams in football.

I reckon that most Northern English feel more affinity to the Scots and the North Welsh than they do to the Brummies, the Home Counties Hooray Henry's or the Essex chavs. (I know that they're stereotypes, but isn't that what cultural identity is all about?).

That's why I think of myself as British by nationality, culturally Lancastrian, and English only really by strict definition.

I reckon that most Northern English feel more affinity to the Scots and the North Welsh than they do to the Brummies, the Home Counties Hooray Henry's or the Essex chavs. (I know that they're stereotypes, but isn't that what cultural identity is all about?).

That's why I think of myself as British by nationality, culturally Lancastrian, and English only really by strict definition.

I am Lancastrian and I feel insulted that you would even assume that I feel any affinity to the Scots. Independance from that shower couldn't come soon enough for me and my taxes

Pete, what have stereotypes got to do with it? Isn't making one's own mind up better?

I am a Lancastrian who was moved into Cheshire against his will, my dad was Scottish which means my affinity with the Scots was encouraged from an early age. The political changes have watered that down somewhat but my brother now lives in Kent and after many visits I prefer the Scots.

Fats, the relevence is; why should you have a "national " team, when you don't (like the Scots and Welsh) constitute "a nation" - nations have their own passports and Armies. :roll:
Think you'd better check your facts there :roll:

In any case, as usual you're just trolling, if you have something constructive to add, fire away, otherwise why bother posting?