Holiday in Warrington anyone?

Bill

Just last week, the news page here ran a story about how Warrington had tremendous potential for tourism with a very nice picture of all those involved in this great meeting of minds. I made some sarcastic comment about betting that none of these people would ever choose to spent their holidays in Warrington but it all seems to have vanished now which is exactly why it?s pointless even commenting on the news pages (Gary please note)

Any how it seems odd that only a week later, and having just hosted such an event, the council say?s it now considering closing down the tourist information centre at the main bus station.

Seems to me a case of one hand not knowing what the others doing or am I missing some point?

Bill :)

I was wondering exactly the same Bill... and I did see your comment at the time :wink:

In answer to your question... no I obviously wouldn't take a holdiday in Warrington but guess that's because I live here :lol:

On the other hand though my elderly relatives are coming over from Australia this year. Australia VS Warrington IMO no comparrison but they say they miss living here :shock: Bet they will have a shock when they see how it's changed :shock: They are going down south too so guess it will be a balanced holiday of sorts :lol:

Must remember to tell them to keep the doors locked and not go out after dark :lol:

Bit daft putting the tourist information in the bus station in the first place. :shock:

People get off the bus, take a quick look at the town, notice all those brochures of lovely places to go.......get back on a bus. :wink:

I thought it more than a bit ironic to see a picture of this 'great meeting of minds' celebrating their success especially this week!

Wish the pic had gone in on the same day as the pic of Bewsey Hall. :wink::D

Totally agree Obs!

Warrington has a fantastic history.

It really depresses me to see our heritage so neglected and year by year destroyed.

Whilst other towns protect their heritage and make the most of it, the powers that be in our town seem intent on wrecking ours! :cry:

Warrington is being marketed as a 'thriving business centre' which anyone can see from all the boarded up shops it's not!

They are focused on attracting visitors (business links) rather than tourists.

Their idea of promoting 'tourism' is to focus on the 'hospitality' industry. The quick quid syndrome. :roll:

Which they believe will produce quick profits and employment opportunities. (unskilled and low paid...some opportunity)

Other towns are more forward thinking.

The tourist industry according to UNESCO is fast overtaking both the Chemical and Automobile industry, and other towns have recognised the benefits of protecting heritage, not only to ensure pleasant surroundings but also to create employment (interesting and well paid)

After writing that last post I feel even more depressed.

But I'm really interested in our heritage, so.........I thought it may be nice to discuss it in a more positive way. Instead of annoying myself about what THEY are doing, I thought it might be interesting to promote some discussion on what WE would do.

Starting with Bridge Street.

Where in the north could you find anywhere to rival Bridge St as a really fine example of a Georgian main street.?

Granted, it was mutilated by cutting through it, but it could still be restored to it's former glory. Would be a fantastic tourist attraction!

Firstly I would close most of the pubs!

Then I would suggest getting rid of Academy way and restoring it with appropriate infil.

Clean up the buildings, ban the use of those cr***y plasticy shop signs, so that all that beautiful architecture can be appreciated!

Wow, that's made me feel one hell of a lot better!! :lol::lol::lol:

Anyone got any ideas of what to do next?

Just last week, the news page here ran a story about how Warrington had tremendous potential for tourism with a very nice picture of all those involved in this great meeting of minds. I made some sarcastic comment about betting that none of these people would ever choose to spent their holidays in Warrington but it all seems to have vanished now which is exactly why it?s pointless even commenting on the news pages (Gary please note)

http://www.warrington-worldwide.co.uk/articles/5322/1/Towns-tremendous-tourism-potential/Page1.html

They don't disappear - all you have to do is click on Full News Index where you can see the last months news before it is archived - once archived if you use the site search facility and put in a key word from the article you are looking for it will also take you straight to the story. e.g tourism

We can't keep every story on the front page.

:roll:

As I said: we don't exploit our history or culture: there was supposed to have been a "culture or heritage trail" through the Town, for the express purpose of leading visitors to sites of historical note; mind you, most have been destroyed now. :shock: Also, Warrington has historical connections from the Romans, Vikings, English Civil War, Industrial Revolution periods, which could provide the basis for a visitor attraction centre similar to the Jorvick Centre in York (but much bigger); with re-enactment groups, folk employed to dress up in period dress etc, Viking long-boat on the Mersey etc - could actually create some jobs and bring in some money. :roll::wink:

Gary

I know you can?t keep all the stories visible and that?s my point. Adding comments to the news page for me is a waste of time because it soon becomes a case of out of sight, out of mind. In an ideal world, any story that attracts comments might automatically trigger a post into the local section where it could be debated further thereby increasing public interaction. None debatable stuff like Betty the Rose Queen has a lovely smile would by it's lack of comments not be ported over.

I know this is side tracking from my original post but you asked if we need more sections, well perhaps one dedicated to your news stories with a direct link from the front page. Although this would be similar to local issues, at least there would be constant new input and the opportunity to comment without loosing sight of your postings within 24 hrs. Plus any occasional visitor wanting to check on a story could just click on a front-page link to be directed to news stories worthy of comment.

To my knowlege, no forum has such a unique facility and if it could be done, you'd have another first. Food for thought eh?

I've noticed that too Bill.... It's always the same posters posting and other than obvious regulars on here there definately seem to be a lack of posts or comments from any new people :cry:

Do you think we have scared them all off :shock: or maybe normal forums are slowly dying out in the bigger shadow of facebook and twitter etc.

Never mind I still like it on here and here I will stay :D

egbert, I take on board that you think the replies to news items are unworthy but I don't give a monkey's what you think.

A facility has been provided to comment and I sometimes comment, I am certainly not going to run my thoughts past a nomark like you for approval. Join the human race you may enjoy it, then again perhaps not.

Gary

I know you can?t keep all the stories visible and that?s my point. Adding comments to the news page for me is a waste of time because it soon becomes a case of out of sight, out of mind. In an ideal world, any story that attracts comments might automatically trigger a post into the local section where it could be debated further thereby increasing public interaction. None debatable stuff like Betty the Rose Queen has a lovely smile would by it's lack of comments not be ported over.

I know this is side tracking from my original post but you asked if we need more sections, well perhaps one dedicated to your news stories with a direct link from the front page. Although this would be similar to local issues, at least there would be constant new input and the opportunity to comment without loosing sight of your postings within 24 hrs. Plus any occasional visitor wanting to check on a story could just click on a front-page link to be directed to news stories worthy of comment.

To my knowlege, no forum has such a unique facility and if it could be done, you'd have another first. Food for thought eh?

To achieve what you are asking for would involve a considerable amount of investment, hot on the heels of a hefty investment to bring the website into the 21st century.

You may have noticed not many people are investing in anything at the moment.

A simple way perhaps would to be to put a link on the forum in local issues to the story in question whereby people can add all their comments under the story?

:

Do you think we have scared them all off :shock:

It has been known. It was said, that people looked in and saw all the political arguing and misconstrued it. :shock::?:wink:

Mabe could 'lock' the political section for a while and see if it helps :D:lol::wink: It is boring :wink:

Actually, Bill, I thought the issue here seemed to be that forum members were NOT making comments. Certainly I haven't recognised too many names on the comments. However, I will certainly withdraw the comment as far as you are concerned, although I think you will agree that being a member of the forum does not necessarily mean the comments will be particularly erudite.

As for Eagle (who I was also not referring to, but if the cap fits he might wish to wear it) I would only say that I am already in the human race and prefer to remain there rather than join the Accipitridae family.

Looks like I?ve well and truly hijacked my own original post but what the heck.

What I was trying to suggest was basically a way of opening the door a bit wider onto the forum in the hope of attracting some new input and fresh thinking. The comments added on the news pages by and large seem perfectly acceptable to me and ok, you do get hit and run merchants but they?re unlikely to want to join into a real discussion anyway.

There?s a simple way this could be done provided someone?s prepared to make just a little effort.

(1) At the bottom of all your articles, you insert a footnote that reads

?Comments here may be transferred to our discussion forum?

(2) Any genuine comment is cut and pasted into the new section under an appropriate heading

(3) Then you insert after your footnote a "Read More? hyperlink directly to the new thread.

This is exactly what I do on other forums and it works perfectly and in any case your only going to be spending a couple of minutes two or three times a week which I?m sure even you can fit into your busy schedule.

I?ll do my half to demonstrate but obviously I can?t hyperlink from your news page as you can.

Bill

Where in the north could you find anywhere to rival Bridge St as a really fine example of a Georgian main street.?

Granted, it was mutilated by cutting through it, but it could still be restored to it's former glory. Would be a fantastic tourist attraction!

Firstly I would close most of the pubs!

Except not much of Bridge Street is Georgian.... (most Victorian or early 20th century) Try Whitehaven for a Georgian town centre.

And the pubs on Bridge Street are listed....