Vitamin B complex - did you know?

Tilly

How important Vit B's are???

This info below is off one of many healthy eating etc websites, it fascinating :wink:

"The Vitamin B Complex comprises of the essential B Vitamins - Vitamin B1, Vitamin B2, Vitamin B3, Vitamin B5, Vitamin B6, Vitamin B9, Vitamin B12 plus the vitamins Biotin, Choline and Inositol. Vitamin B Complex is needed for the proper functioning of almost every process in the body.

1. Energy Production

Stress Help

Women's Health

Migraine Solutions

Vitamin B1 is needed to help convert the carbohydrates we eat into glucose. The following B Vitamins are needed at a cellular level to convert glucose into energy - Vitamin B2, Vitamin B3, Vitamin B5, Vitamin B6 and Biotin. A Vitamin B deficiency in any of these vitamins can lead to decreased energy production, lethargy and fatigue.

2. Healthy Nervous system

The Vitamin B Complex is essential for the healthy functioning of the nervous system. Vitamin B5 is needed for the correct functioning of the adrenal glands and the production of some hormones and nerve regulating substances. Vitamin B1, Vitamin B6 and Vitamin B12 are essential for the regulation and correct functioning of the entire nervous system including brain function. Vitamin B9 is essential to prevent neural tube defects to the foetus during pregnancy. A deficiency in any of the Vitamin B Complex vitamins can lead to feeling stressed, anxious and depressed.

3. Good Digestion

The Vitamin B Complex is essential for correct digestion, production of HCl (Hydrochloric acid) and to assist in the breakdown of fats, proteins and carbohydrates. Especially vital for good digestion are Vitamin B1, Vitamin B2, Vitamin B3 and Vitamin B6. A deficiency in any of these B Vitamins can lead to impaired digestion and deficiency of essential nutrients.

4.Healthy Skin, Hair and Nails

The Vitamin B Complex is essential for correct RNA and DNA synthesis and cell reproduction. As our Skin, Hair and Nails are constantly growing and renewing themselves we need the following B vitamins to ensure the good health of these structures - Vitamin B1, Vitamin B2, Vitamin B3, Vitamin B5, Vitamin B9, Vitamin B12, Biotin and Choline. Deficiencies of any of these B Vitamins can lead to dry, grey skin, dermatitis, wrinkles, acne, rashes, falling hair and weak, splitting nails.

5. Synergy

The B Vitamins work so closely with one other that a deficiency in any one B Vitamin can lead to poor functioning of any or all of the others even if they are in good supply. Always take the B Vitamins in a Complex and then top up with any individual Vitamin B, if needed.

B Vitamins are water-soluble which means any excess will be excreted through the urine. This also means that B Vitamins need to be taken on a daily basis, as the only one we can store is Vitamin B12."

All or most of the B vitamins are found in protien based foods, eg, dairy, meats etc and some are found in whole grain - note the bit about beriberi :

"When grains and grain products are refined, essential nutrients lost during processing are put back into these foods through a process called enrichment. Among the nutrients added during the enrichment process are thiamin, niacin, riboflavin, folate and iron. Some examples of enriched grain products are white rice, many breakfast cereals, white flour, breads, and pasta.

For some populations, rice is the main dietary staple. When "polishing" rice (removing its outer layers) became popular, thiamin deficiency, or beriberi, increased significantly.

In the early 1900s, the most widespread vitamin deficiency disease in the United States was pellagra, or niacin deficiency. At that time, pellagra caused thousands of deaths and many cases of mental and physical illness among the poor in the Southeast. The enrichment of flour, rice, and wheat products helped to eliminate the deficiency problems found in people who depended on these food items for most of their daily calories."

I may be wrong but am sure this is something that triggered early studies into vitamins a nutrition, it's fascinating stuff...

From the food standards agency website:

Most people don't eat enough fibre. Foods rich in fibre are a very healthy choice, so try to include a variety of fibre-rich foods in your diet. These are all rich in fibre: wholegrain bread, brown rice, pasta, oats, beans, peas, lentils, grains, seeds, fruit and vegetables.

Fibre is only found in foods that come from plants. There are two types of fibre: insoluble and soluble.

Insoluble fibre

This is the fibre that the body can't digest and so it passes through the gut helping other food and waste products move through the gut more easily.

Wholegrain bread, brown rice, wholegrain breakfast cereals and fruit and vegetables all contain this type of fibre.

Insoluble fibre helps to keep bowels healthy and stop constipation. And this means we are less likely to get some common disorders of the gut. Foods rich in this sort of fibre are more bulky and so help make us feel full, which means we are less likely to eat too much.

Soluble fibre

This fibre can be partially digested and may help to reduce the amount of cholesterol in the blood. Particularly good sources of soluble fibre include oats and pulses such as beans and lentils.

The importance of soluble fibre

Fibre can help to reduce IBS symptoms and prevent spasms. But be careful what type of fibre you eat and how much you consume because people can react very differently. In diarrhoea, fibre may firm up and slow down the passage of stools, but some people with IBS also get constipation and then fibre can bulk up and soften stools, making them easier to pass.

But fibre can aggravate both constipation and diarrhoea. Current thinking is that soluble fibre is probably most helpful for people with IBS. High levels of soluble fibre are found in vegetables, such as potatoes, and some fruits (apples and citrus), dried beans, oats and barley.

Insoluble fibre may also be helpful for constipation. Good sources include wheat bran, whole grains, cereals, seeds and the skins of many fruits and vegetables.

Fibre supplements may be worth a try, too. You may find an increase in gas and bloating at first, but this will soon calm down.

Tackle stress

Try to get as much sleep as you need, ensure there's a least one set period each week when you can have some time exclusively for yourself (ideally, you should do this at least once a day) and take up some relaxation therapies.

If you overdose on a specific B vitamin the symptoms listed below may occur

Vitamin B1, also known as Thiamine: hypersensitivity, heart palpitation, agitation, high blood pressure and skin rashes.

Vitamin B2, also known as Riboflavin: low blood pressure, fatigue, vomiting, anemia

Vitamin B 3&4, also known as Niacin: heartburn, skin rash, insomnia, headaches, vomiting, jaundice, high blood sugar

Vitamin B5, also known as Pantothenic Acid: fatigue, gastrointestinal problems, dehydration, depression

Vitamin B6, also know as Pyridoxine: numbness in hands or feet, insomnia, cramps, high blood pressure, low blood sugar, mood swings,fatigue, headaches

Vitamin B7, also known as Biotin: increased blood sugar, skin rash

Vitamin B8, also known as Inositol: vomiting, high blood pressure, liver and kidney disease, skin rash, cardiovascular problems

Vitamin B9, also know as Folic Acid: anemia, high cholesterol, bloating, loss of appetite

Vitamin B10, also known as Para-aminobenzoic Acid: hypothyroid, decreased estrogen, jaundice, vomiting, liver disease

Vitamin B11, also known as Choline: vomiting, high blood pressure, liver and kidney disease, skin rash, cardiovascular problems

Vitamin B12, also known as Hydroxy: panic attacks, heart palpitations, hyperthyroid, tingling on right side of body

Vitamin B15, also known as Pangamic Acid: fatigue, skin rash, depression, headaches, shortness of breath

:shock::shock::wink:

Confusing stuff indeed.

From Tilly's post I thought that I was definatley lacking the B Vits ...

And then Wolfies post made me think that I was overdosing on them :shock:

What do you do if you fall into both symptom categories do you take A and C instead :wink:

Vitamin B1 - thiamine: Helps convert blood sugar to energy, forms red blood cells, maintains skeletal muscle. Sources are pork, sunflower seeds, whole grains, beans, seafood.

Folate: A B vitamin called folic acid, aids in metabolism and all of the body's biological reactions. It has recently been found to be especially important in pregnancy, as it aids in development of the fetus while preventing neural tube defects such as spina bifida and incomplete brain formation. sources are beans, spinach and other leafy greens, wheat germ, oranges, and mushrooms.

Vitamin B2 - Riboflavin: Aids in production of body energy. The more active you are the more B2 you need. It also protects against cancer and anemia. Sources of B2 are milk, yogurt, chicken, leafy green vegetables, fruit and almonds.

Vitamin B3 - Niacin: Required for proper metabolism of carbohydrates, fats and protein, as well as production of digestive acid. It is also essential for healthy skin, proper blood circulation and the functioning of the central nervous system. Sources are chicken breast, canned tuna, Brewer's yeast, peanut butter, beans, and sunflower seeds.

Vitamin B5 - pantothenic acid: Vitamin B5 has been found to help fight depression, reduce stress, metabolize carbohydrates, fats and proteins, and aid in the functioning of the gastrointestinal tract. Its presence is needed to produce healthy red blood cells, antibodies, cholesterol and Vitamin D. Sources are organ meats, fish, grains, egg, peanuts and peas.

Vitamin B6 - Pyroxidine: Often hailed as a wonder vitamin as it aids in the treatment of many disorders, such as: PMS, carpal tunnel syndrome, depression, nervous disorders, hyperactivity, diabetes, kidney stones, asthma, skin problems, acne, schizophrenia, and maintains a strong immune system. Sources are bananas, chicken, baked potatoes, chick peas, fortified cereals, oats, and peanuts.

Vitamin B12: Increases energy, reduces stress, improves memory, and aids the digestive system and strengthens the immune system. Sources are fresh fish, dairy products, beef and pork, and eggs.

Does this help?

So who's right - you or Wolfie?????? :?

We both are in a way - my post was inteneded to highlight what the B's are for which Mary has kindly gone into detail about - any vitamin or mineral deficiancy can cause a variety of problem, and so can too much.

Wolfie has done what seems to be something he can't help - challenge, disagree or shoot down. Why on earth when someone just tries to give some helpful advice does he have to come back with a post to completley unravel mine I have no idea but if this makes him happy and he wants to un do my well mean't intentions let him, people can make their own minds up, either way whether they need to consider looking at their diet or not etc.

Too much or too little of something and anything can will cause problems, all symptoms can similar type for millions of things - did you know anti depressants can cause depression, you can go on for ever.

I was only trying to help and having taken extra B complex myself myself ( not every day as I do take care 90% of the time with my diet) and I felt much better so for me ( and I'm not saying for everyone) a little extra B Complex helped me so that is why I was sharing the info which was NOT intended for anyone who didn't want to know, it's not like I'm trying to frog march everyone down to Boots, Wolfie and "make" everyone buy 60 days worth suppliment - have a day off will you...... rest might do you good :roll:

I've good mind to contradict evey post you make from now on and see how you feel but it would be soooo boring...........

I think we all know what is good and bad for us :roll:

The supermarkets even have coding on their packaging, and Observer, you of all people are not daft, just use your sense or google it or ask Mary, she's fab and knows loads or put query on the forum. You could then also have added value and the entertaimment of me posting a reply with a view to trying to help and Wolfie completely disagreeing with me for the sake of it, :wink::roll:

I was toying with a theory that your body tells you what food (thus vitamins) you require, via your appetite and taste? :? Then I thought of all those obese folk queuing for a take-away, and thought again. :roll: Then I thought how animals get their share of vitamins; EG: the Lion only eats meat, so no fruit or veg; so how do they do it? :?:wink:

Then I thought how animals get their share of vitamins; EG: the Lion only eats meat, so no fruit or veg; so how do they do it? :?:wink:

They don't have official bodies telling them what they should and shouldn't be eating and taking.

Nature has a very good way of dealing with the obese and the infirm. The others kill them. Survival of the fittest. :wink:

There's something wrong, when the more knowledge we get about things, the worse we become.

I've good mind to contradict evey post you make from now on and see how you feel

What a wonderful person you are Tilly, so clever and beautiful with it. :wink:

Very funny, work have sent for an ambulance :roll: , you've never met me so how could you know :?:

Observer - there is a lot to be said for the phrase " a little bit of what you fancy does you good" :)

Mary - a little squirt like Wolfie wont stop me :wink:

Peter T and Ob's - I don't think all animals etc all need the same things. Erm ,what makes my cats eat moths then?? ( at 3am in the fippin mornink on MY bed :shock: ) - I'm still in shock - blerk!!!