Pandemic on it's way.

observer

I think you will find as many failed States, I don't remember saying I hated our History, The World is still trying to sort out the mess we made in the Middle East, and people are still dying, India is now a solid state, but how many lives did partition cost.

Are you going to use Australia and New Zealand as good examples :?:

It is you who needs a history lesson :wink:

This post is an example of how you hate Britain's past, putting the blame for everyone's woes on her shoulders. You are unwilling to give any credit for the good that came out of Empire. Aren't people in other countries responsible for their own actions? They aren't naughty children! These people were killing each other before the British arrived and have carried on where they left off as soon as they left. Britain did not invent religious and ethnic hatred and the Empire was largely peaceful. I don't need you to teach me anything thank you, I know a self taught "expert" when I see one :roll::roll::roll:

• Replies 176
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Oh dear asperity as clim downs go that was good, :wink:

No support forth coming.

What did the Romans ever do for us :lol::lol::lol::!:

The British Empire was good for the British, not so good for the others :!:

Your view of Empire is very Rudyard Kipling and probably as dated :wink:

:lol::lol::lol::lol::wink:

The British Empire was good for the British because it was errr the "British" Empire (clues in the title methinks!)

You don't go half way round the world conquering folk for the conquered and subdued to be the prime beneficiary. That was then and now we are a sad and deflated and once powerful nation. Defeated by our own politicians who are ashamed of our great and victorious past.

We have a daft scenario where Bliar apologised for the slave trade (long time ago; get over it!) and yet Brown wouldn't apologise for all of his cock ups which affect us now. The apologists we have in power now continue to dole out apologies for this and that; I am half expecting Labour to apologise to the Germans and the Argies before they leave office

Our Empire in fact created wealth for all of its citizens and not just for the British and also created a massive legacy of invention and creation which is still with us today and still being expanded by the likes of India even now.

On another note, do people really think that the likes of India would be as technologically advanced as they are without being part of the Empire?

I doubt it somehow!

Our Empire in fact created wealth for all of its citizens and not just for the British

Completely disagree :!::wink:

It created wealth for the British,exploited everyone else, they had to buy from the British, they could not exploit the free market, isn't that some of your problem with the EU. Stange when the British had a closed market it was glorious, when the Eu do it, its crap, Part of the reason the Americans did not like the Empire is because it was a protected market they could not trade with these countrys unless though the UK :wink:

Is this still about the swine flu pandemic or should I start another thread :lol::P:?

Online V-news today reported that

Legal advice on dealing with swine flu has been issued to private schools across the country as it was confirmed that another person has the virus.

Why Legal Advice and not medical advice :?::?:roll:

Also why only private schools ??

It also says

Earlier the Independent Schools Council issued guidance to more than 1,200 fee-paying schools, suggesting they consider setting up "quarantine rooms" for pupils suspected of having the virus.

Sounds to me that the private school sector is more worried about being sued if a pupil catches it than anything else.. but then again the media have probably reported it like that to make whinging people like me question it :lol:

:lol:

Another attempt to put this "pandemic" into some sort of perspective. Last year in the USA there were some 13000 cases of Tuberculosis diagnosed with a 5% mortality rate. Was there widespread global panic? Were flights to the USA stopped, or calls for health screening of everyone coming back from seeing Mickey Mouse in Florida? Of course not. So why the worldwide panic about a mild case of flu which, to my knowledge, has actually caused the death of 19 people out of a world population of 6.7 billion? Maybe the drug companies could see that the anti-viral drugs, which they had stockpiled for the avian flu pandemic that never was, were reaching their "best before" date and they needed to recoup their potential losses. Just a thought :wink::wink::wink: Conspiracy theorist? Moi? 8)8)8)

There is no vaccine that can cure a virus. The flu jab only protects against certain strains of infection by introducing antibodies of that strain. They usually pick out the 3 most likely strains to be expected in any given year.

The government advice that hygiene is the only way to defeat flu is correct. The trouble is that if, for instance, someone sneezes over you in Sainsburys you can't jump into a shower to get rid of the detritus. By the time you reach home those nasty little bugs will have made their inexorable way into your system.

Swine flu is no worse than any other, it's just more prominent at the moment. Flu kills the vulnerable, sad but true.

The scoffers clearly don't get it - it's not the degree of aggression of the virus, and thus fatalities: it's the rate of spread, which the authorities were clearly unable to contain. :shock: Now, hopefully, we've had a warning about just how readily such viruses can spread throughout a population; the WHO and Governments can tighten up on their procedures - cos, coupled with the absolute complacency of a large number of the population -IF (and this particular virus ain't finished yet); we do get a full blown killer, the scoffers will be scoffing all the way to the crematorium. :shock::roll:

Obs, I am a scoffer so bugger off and leave me in peace.

Sooner or later the point scorers on this forum will accept that occasionally they are crying wolf.

BTW, 'experts' now believe that catching this relatively mild flu will help your immune system cope with the next PANDEMIC. Where do I queue?

The scoffers clearly don't get it - it's not the degree of aggression of the virus, and thus fatalities: it's the rate of spread, which the authorities were clearly unable to contain. :shock: Now, hopefully, we've had a warning about just how readily such viruses can spread throughout a population; the WHO and Governments can tighten up on their procedures - cos, coupled with the absolute complacency of a large number of the population -IF (and this particular virus ain't finished yet); we do get a full blown killer, the scoffers will be scoffing all the way to the crematorium. :shock::roll:

Don't hold your breath. :wink:

on a lighter note

KABUL (Reuters) - Afghanistan's only known pig has been locked in a room, away from visitors to Kabul zoo where it normally grazes beside deer and goats, because people are worried it could infect them with the virus popularly known as swine flu.

MADRID (Reuters) - A Spanish man who sought treatment for a rash found himself locked in a mental ward by doctors concerned he had contracted a deadly flu on holiday in Mexico.

i have also heard rumours that some farmers are banning unnecessary visitors to stop their pigs catching swine flu from humans.

and finally wonder if i will still be able to watch peppa pig safely :shock::twisted: