Pandemic on it's way.

observer

• Replies 176
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Not "scaremongering" Pierre, merely repeating "the news", and advocating preparedness. :roll: However IF it's a fatal strain of flu, your complacency, and the complacency of the Health Minister, assures me that we've got no chance halting a spread. :roll: Folk are being "asked" not to attend places of public congregation; yet he (the Minister) has not halted travel to and from Mexico or other affected areas, has no heat screening devices (like the Japanese) at airports/ports; has no quarantine facilities to house any affected visitors etc etc. :roll: I really do hope I'm being pessimistic, but if this thing kicks off, we don't stand a cat in hell's chance, with the public attitude and Gov laxity we have - the 1918 pandemic killed around 20% of the population. :shock:

Certainly hope I don't fall sick on your ship Asp! :shock: Some strains of flu prove generally untreatable, where vaccines havn't yet been produced or anti-viral drugs prove ineffective; fortunaltely in this case "Tami-flu" appears to work, but don't count on this Government having enough stocks or adequate distribution mechanisms. :roll:

No chance of you falling sick on my ship Obs. I wouldn't let you up the gangway! :wink::wink: You can't cure flu with a vaccine, you can only try to prevent people catching it. In any case I think that 80 deaths in one country hardly deserve the title pandemic however callous you might think that sounds. :roll:

And there was me presuming I just had the usual aches, pains and sniffles of hayfever... I was shopping yesterday and there were a lot of foreigners around... should I be worried. :shock::?:wink:

My skin looks pinker than usual (which I presumed was the start of a sun tan) and my nose looks a little odd too ..... OINK