Why no cheap petrol?

observer

the last rise just a few days ago was an increase in tax by the government. supposedly this was the increase that was deferred when the price was rising faster than a builders estimate.

mind you they have to find the money to pay for all these banks they are bailing out somehow i suppose :wink:

the last rise just a few days ago was an increase in tax by the government. supposedly this was the increase that was deferred when the price was rising faster than a builders estimate.

mind you they have to find the money to pay for all these banks they are bailing out somehow i suppose :wink:

Might well go up again in the Budget next week....given that last year the Chancellor saw that motorists were prepared to pay over ?1 per litre :wink:

Might well go up again in the Budget next week....given that last year the Chancellor saw that motorists were prepared to pay over ?1 per litre :wink:

In fact, many people were NOT prepared to pay over ?1 per litre. There was a noticeable decrease in traffic at that time - so much so that I found although the petrol was dearer I spent little more than usual on it. I can only assume the time saved on queuing in traffic jams meant I got more mpg. So if dearer fuel clears all those people who normally make unnecessary journeys off the road I am all for it!

depends what you class as an unnecessary journey I guess. Most people will tell you their journeys are important; I guess that depends on what the rest of the populous deem as necessary!!

The person taking little Johnny to school will tell you that is as important as you driving to work. Why shouldn't the kids be driven to school if a lot of people are prepared to sit alone in their cars for a 20 minute drive to the office?

Egg, has a point. :? IF folk used their cars less, there would be more road space and less congestion for those who are making "necessary" journeys. :? The school run is totally "unnecessary"; made by lazy mums with fat lazy kids, for a distance of less than a mile; OR by "working" mums, frantically dumping the kids at school on their way to the office. :roll: The "school run" is estimated to produce 20% of peak hour traffic. :shock:

Obs, why is a mum dropping a kid off at school on the way to work an unnecessary journey? I don't get that one.

If you drop your wife off at her work then carry on to your office; is the first part of the journey unnecessary by that logic? Why not let the wife walk to work and you drive past her workplace on the way to yours instead? :?:?

No, but breakfast clubs and after school clubs are now part of modern life for many people because that is the way the country has gone. You can't blame Maggie for this one mate; this is full and square in Bliar and Browns court with their ambitions that every woman should be in work so they can pay their taxes so the MP's can hype up their expenses!