More ammunition for us Luddites

Latchford Locks

Last weekend in that forgotten backwater of Rugby League (one of many) Barrow attracted a capacity crowd of 6,275 for the visit of Wigan.

Harlequins attracted just 3,883 for the visit of Wigan to their opening match of the 2009 SL campaign.

Yesterday (despite season ticket holders from both clubs getting free tickets) Harlequins gate was just 2,500 for the visit of Huddersfield.

Barrow fielded NINE locals in their clash against Wigan.

Harlequins fielded ONE local in their match against Huddersfield.

WHICH CLUB OFFERS OUR GAME A BRIGHTER FUTURE? :wink:

Harlequins aren't bothered if they attract a ZERO crowd..They could always do what they did last time they went bust...Shut on Friday and open up on Monday under another name which is all well and good just as long as you aren't owed money from them. A bit like a dodgy double glazing firm really.

For many people, the Halliwell Jones seems to have become another forgotten backwater of Rugby League.

What sort of fans stay away because their team isn't doing very well?

Now I ain't a rugby fan by any stretch of the imagination, but JH, I would imagine that people will not pay to go and watch something that is rubbish and that is why fans will stay away. You would't pay to go and watch a film knowing that everyone says that the director of it makes rubbish pictures would you?

I am actually going to my first ever rugby match on Friday at Salford (I am 45!!) and looking forward to it. I am going with a bunch of lads from round here (one of whom was a Salford 1st team player in the 70's) so they can all tell me what is going on I guess!

I'll tell you on Saturday if Warrington were rubbish or not!!

Baz

For many people, the Halliwell Jones seems to have become another forgotten backwater of Rugby League.

What sort of fans stay away because their team isn't doing very well?

Me for one...I've stood in the pouring rain at Wilderspool for decades...I've been on every single ground in the RL following the Wire. I've skipped weddings, funerals and other family duties to support the Wire but in recent times I was just watching the game and wondering more and more...Just what am I doing here ? I've decided that when they are worth watching again I'll return. A person can only beat themselves up for so long over a game of Rugby League. Tony Smith will need an extension on his present contract to get them summat like. One bad apple has left the club let's get shut of the rest.

Actually I might go to see a film which others thought was rubbish because I make up my own mind - not let others do it for me.

As for fans who don't watch Wolves (or any other team) because they are not winning, surely there are skills displayed by the OTHER team. You go to see a spectacle - not necessarily to see your team win. Or at least, you should

It's not the matter of losing or winning it's the manner of losing. Like two or three thousand others I'm totally kissed off with the attitude of some of the players at Warrington...They couldn't care less just as long as they have the lucrative contract in their back pockets.

Got a feeling the gravy train is going to run dry pretty soon,the freeloaders days seem numbered :wink:

• 1 month later...
It's not the matter of losing or winning it's the manner of losing. Like two or three thousand others I'm totally kissed off with the attitude of some of the players at Warrington...They couldn't care less just as long as they have the lucrative contract in their back pockets.

So have you got your cut price season ticket yet? :roll::wink:

The last game I attended was the Easter game v Castleford. It was so achingly boring I attempted to leave a few minutes before the end. Some spotty kid on the gate wouldn't let me out !! At the moment I just can't be bothered to attend home games because you are treated as a potential criminal / hooligan...Don't swear...Don't stand on the yellow lines..heaven forbid you have the temerity to bring a vacuum flask to the game...Can you imagine an old fart such as myself using it as a weapon ? The HJ is a soul-less place and I'd rather not bother. I've been following the game on TV at home... a much friendlier place.. I can swear at the TV to my heart's content....Perhaps have a hot drink at half time and I've chalked a yellow line on the carpet to stand on just so I can defy the jobsworths.

The last game I attended was the Easter game v Castleford. It was so achingly boring I attempted to leave a few minutes before the end. Some spotty kid on the gate wouldn't let me out !! At the moment I just can't be bothered to attend home games because you are treated as a potential criminal / hooligan...Don't swear...Don't stand on the yellow lines..heaven forbid you have the temerity to bring a vacuum flask to the game...Can you imagine an old fart such as myself using it as a weapon ? The HJ is a soul-less place and I'd rather not bother. I've been following the game on TV at home... a much friendlier place.. I can swear at the TV to my heart's content....Perhaps have a hot drink at half time and I've chalked a yellow line on the carpet to stand on just so I can defy the jobsworths.

And a sneaky fag as well :D

WillsWildWoodbines10.jpg