Councillors ONLY accept a 2.5% payrise......

Bazj

When all around is doom and gloom, you can always rely on the local councillors to cheer us up with the happy story that they have decided to accept a 2.5% pay rise instead of 3%

Now don't get me wrong, but aren't we in a recession with people losing jobs and having pay cuts?

Being a councillor is also about serving the community and having some form of giving up your time to do it as a labour of love or a passion to help the community?

I notice that the front page points out that the basic is only about ?7,500 but when you add in the various comittees that they serve on; quite a handsome sum to be earned (didn't the one that Paul ousted get over ?35k a year? and now that they Tories and Lib Dems are in power, they will get the pick of the comittees to be on so all the best allowances too by all accounts......

I notice the Cllr marks said that as the Council Staff are only getting 2.5% we should pay ourselves the same.....errrr no, you should pay them nothing extra and take nothing extra too and be grateful that you still have a job and a wage to rely on every month. after the recession is over, then will be the time to start taking payrises again; especially when I as a poll tax payer am paying for it

At least we know where some of the increased Poll tax is going now; as well as the Police and fire wanting more money (the latter to provide beds for them to sleep in during the shifts probably!) now the councillors are at it....

and now that they Tories and Lib Dems are in power, they will get the pick of the comittees to be on so all the best allowances too by all accounts......

Not if you're the Tory who removed the aformentioned Warrington's most senior L/D you don't. :wink::)

Worth noting that the allowance is reduced by 45% as a public service discount, the discount has been increased from the 20% used in previous years.

There should be no increases Paul.... AT ALL not while we are in a recession and people are losing jobs etc.

My mums council tax has gone up by 4% and yet because she relies on her savings to generate her income; that has been reduced to almost zero because of the interest rate cuts so in effect because of the Poll tax rises, she is worse off. Now councillors may be happy in taking a pay rise when pensioners are worse off, but I think it is a little out of order personally

So what's new Baz; MPs have awarded themselves the same too cos they can! :roll: Most public service employees reluctantly accepted a 3 year deal last year, so placing a contractual obligation on employers. :roll: Seems the Council have been trimming "top posts" to save some cash, but didn't consult the NuLab opposition, so they could have hummed and arred about it for the next two years! :wink: