H.G. Wells THINGS TO COME 1936

Jerry

I suppose I should seek out the book and compare with the film released 73 years ago. It was on Turner Classic Movies (cable) last night and I saw it for the second time. Can't remember the first time, so long ago. Anyway Ralph Richardson made a good Boss of Everytown, and Raymond Massey made a good Wings Over the World ambassador. His great grandson then decided we should shoot the moon gun and explore that terrain. But noooo, Cedric Hardwicke, the conservative insists it is foolish, man had survived endless warfare and needs a rest, need to just enjoy....

He was before both of our popular reading ages. In the film an all out war begun in 1939 ends in 1966 -- a headline with a specific date that turns out to be his 100th birthday, if he had been alive. The moon shot date isn't spelled out, but it's undertaken by the 1970's Leader's great grandson. But it's really about ideas. Life is too short for a man, but mankind must ignore individual life spans and reach out for full knowledge and domination of the universe. Progress!

Curiosity! I love it! Umm. I guess I love it only 90 per cent. There are some science experiments I don't want to imagine. And my father said, (have I posted this before?) there are some things you must experience to be a philosopher. But there are some things that if you experience twice -- you are a pervert! Another guideline I have it: even moderation should not be practiced to excess. I guess I love ambiguity more than is normal.