100th cap?

observer

I thought that it had over the last 20 years.

Most of the England managers have been reluctant/afraid to drop any big name players for fear of the verbals from the Press and spectators.

At this level, creating a team for his tenure will be Capello's aim, NOT how many caps someone has.

IF Beckham hadn't got sent off for his act of petulence, he would have got his 100 anyway.

I would like Beckham to get his 100th cap but only if he achieves the necessary levels of fitness. There has been too much sentiment applied to team selection in the past, Beckham himself was one of the beneficiaries of Sven's misplaced loyalty when not fit, so it is a good start for the Capello regime.

Good to see young players being a chance. Using the friendlies in this manner is what they were designed for, not using two different teams in one match like Sven and not trying to salvage a draw with a strong side like Maclaren. We have seen this stamping of authority and new regime clear out of England regulars under Maclaren, but some how I think Capello has more substance than him and will continue to manage in a similar vein.

Perusing the squad leaves me with a distinct worry about the strike force, this is not a criticism of capello just a comment on the shortage of class English stikers.

Rooney is the best of the bunch but while putting in good performances does not exactly score a lot. Owen is a spent force;Heskey despite having the build has never been good enough, Crouch is bread and butter to international defenders and whilst Agbonlahor is promising, promises don't win any trophies.

I would agree with you about the quality up front eagle, definately lacking in that department. However, I think Crouch poses more of a threat than you give him credit for. Defenders can't deal with his height and his international record of 12 goals in 19 games is impressive. In fact he's scored the same amount as Rooney in fewer games. I think this aspect will be a test of Capello as he will have to come up with other technical ways of making us an attacking threat I.E. set plays, counter attack etc.

• 1 month later...
Originally posted by James P:

I would agree with you about the quality up front eagle, definately lacking in that department. However, I think Crouch poses more of a threat than you give him credit for. Defenders can't deal with his height and his international record of 12 goals in 19 games is impressive. In fact he's scored the same amount as Rooney in fewer games. I think this aspect will be a test of Capello as he will have to come up with other technical ways of making us an attacking threat I.E. set plays, counter attack etc.

Seems that Rafa doesn't agree with you. :wink: