Global Warming or Not

Lt Kije

• Replies 200
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 3 weeks later...

I must belatedly thank Asperity for pointing out to me on March 30 that "An Inconvenient Truth" was on TV. I have only just watched it as it was "inconvenient" to watch it at the time.

Now I agree it was an extremely badly made film. I agree that Al Gore's performance was appalling and that it was a bit of a struggle to watch the whole film.

But I still think there was some compelling evidence that climate change is happening and IS being speeded up or made worse by human activity.

I still believe that those who are so outspoken in their view that there is no point in doing anything to combat climate change are motivated by the fact that it is, well, "an inconvenient truth" - the title was about the only good thing about the film.

I have said before that I am not sufficiently technically qualified to fully understand the arguments for and against the global warming issue. I simply keep seeing it stated that the vast majority of scientists believe man is having an impact. Only on this forum have I seen anyone putting forward the contrary view (that the majority of scientists dismiss the argument that is).

I still believe it is better to be safe than to be sorry.

But ignoring the global warming issue for a moment, should we not be changing our lifestyles just a little because of diminishing sources of oil and the slow progress of any alternative if for no other reason?

Don't think it's within the nature of mankind to "give up" on life-style habits/comforts, unless physically forced to; and one has to be suspicious of Governments, that are endevouring to save motor car production - thus proving that political and economic factors always come before enviromental ones. :shock: BTW. the so-called scientists, are telling us now, that our sun has gone "dimmer", so perhaps we'll get global cooling?! :wink:

Only on this forum have I seen anyone putting forward the contrary view (that the majority of scientists dismiss the argument that is).

I don't think anyone has said any such thing? It is a fact that some scientists are urging caution, and that they feel many climate change models are flawed. It's certainly not the majority, but they are there.

20 years ago the scientific community had us convinced that we were heading for an ice age, now it's the opposite. A total about face. Let's just say I need far more conclusive evidence than we have seen so far, that what we are going through is anything more than a normal cycle of the earth.

As for it only being here, well I've seen it on many forums and elsewhere, indeed even the kids seem to be doubting some of the evidence nowadays, my own daughter only recently expressing the view that it is just the earth's natural cycle. I should point out that we'd never discussed it before, this just seems to have come from discussing it at school.

[/i]

Kids having doubts? Ah well, we've no need to worry then!

Seriously though, I too am not 100 per cent convinced. It's just that I believe the issue is so serious that it can't be left to chance.

If you think no-one on this forum has suggested that the MAJORITY of scientists no longer believe man's activities have any connection with climate change, just take the trouble to read back. You will find a few who have been quite outspoken.

Observer is quite right about the nature of mankind as a whole. But there are many people who are prepared to give up a little for the greater good. Unfortunately when they express this view on this forum, they attract abuse.

Some scientists are saying that global warming might cause the gulf stream to stop, If it does the UK will get a lot colder :shock:

You shouldn't be counting on an "outside source" such as the Gulf Stream! I wish there would be some global warming .. I'm sick of heating bills and of looking out my bedroom window to see snow on all the roofs!

Although if Yellowstone Supervolcano should blow there'll be a lot of changes ahead for everybody ..

:(

Kids having doubts? Ah well, we've no need to worry then!

I'm pretty sure you know that's not what I was alluding to? But just in case it needs clarified, I've always thought the young uns were totally sold on all the hype, she certainly is when it comes to drinking, eating right, just about any currently fashionable cause in fact, and yet here was a totally unexpected view from a totally unexpected source, as in general those of studenty age tend to get behind all the causes of the day.

Not saying that means anything, just that there are sceptics out there in far more numbers than the green nazis would have you believe.

If you think no-one on this forum has suggested that the MAJORITY of scientists no longer believe man's activities have any connection with climate change, just take the trouble to read back. You will find a few who have been quite outspoken.

Nope, I don't believe it. Find me the quote.

It's a bit like the EU. Some think it's good to be in and others don't.

The problem with global warming, is that no-one can establish what is causing it. Nature or man?

Man needs to look at his behaviour and consider what actions can speed up the ultimate death of the planet, BUT he cannot control nature and what happens underground.

The main problem at the moment is the hype of various governments and the people who see it as a means of making lots of money.

I wonder where these "pro" scientists get their funding from?

It's a bit like the EU. Some think it's good to be in and others don't.

The problem with global warming, is that no-one can establish what is causing it. Nature or man?

Man needs to look at his behaviour and consider what actions can speed up the ultimate death of the planet, BUT he cannot control nature and what happens underground.

The main problem at the moment is the hype of various governments and the people who see it as a means of making lots of money.

I wonder where these "pro" scientists get their funding from?

A good post Peter, But you could turn your question round and ask where do the scientists who are against get there founding from, A good example of this Mr Bush used to surround himself with scientists that were in denial because alot of his election money came from coal and oil companies :wink: