Global Warming or Not

Lt Kije

Egbert

You say, in effect, you won't change until you have 100 per cent proof.

Please don?t try to twist my words around to suite your argument. What I?m saying is that there?s just no consensus between the scientist as to the fundamental cause of climate change. Furthermore, an ever increasing number of these scientist are concluding that man's contribution is almost insignificant in comparison to the natural forces that have caused climate change since the world began.

So given that scientific opinion is divided, it?s not really surprising to find similar divisions in public opinion hence you on your side of the fence and me on mine.

Now you could give up your comfortable home, live in a cold dark cardboard box and eat lentils till you die and you wont stop the climate from changing and that?s a fact. But as you say, if you?re happy to make cutbacks in your lifestyle just in case the scientists are right, well that?s your personal choice and I can respect that.

My decision to take no action has nothing to do with me being an uncaring person although I accept how it must look from the other side of the fence. As long as the jury?s out we each have to make our own decisions based on the facts as we see them and from where I sit, it appears that trying to change a natural global phenomena is a pointless exercise.

Bill :)

• Replies 200
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Lt Kije

Using a fifty-watt bulb instead of 100 watt will do one thing for certain and that?s make it darker, but can anyone be certain if it?ll really have any affect on climate change? :roll:

The piece of coal example was mine by the way and it was relevant. If as you say our parents were ignorant about climate change while we are enlightened then answer this. Has the burning of that additional piece of coal that kept them warm caused us to suffer in any way?

Would anybody seriously wish that their parents had been more considerate and cut back more than they did by necessity to protect us in the mistaken belief that we (their future generation) might not be able to cope?

I have every faith that future generations will adapt and deal with whatever climate change brings and that they, like us, would not have wanted to see their parents and grandparents going without in the past for what to them at their time in the future will appear quite normal.

Does that make sense?

We were told a few years back, that we would get a mini ice age in the "near" future.

That, if my memory serves me correctly, was dependent on whether the Gulf Stream stopped, or which direction it moved in.

I wonder if are ancestors blamed the last ic age on global warming and stopped roasting dinosaurs?

We were told a few years back, that we would get a mini ice age in the "near" future.

That, if my memory serves me correctly, was dependent on whether the Gulf Stream stopped, or which direction it moved in.

Global warming man made or not is slowing the gulf stream, for which we depend upon for our mild weather, ironically as the Earth warms up the Uk is in for colder weather similar to Canada's. :wink:

Global warming man made or not is slowing the gulf stream, for which we depend upon for our mild weather, ironically as the Earth warms up the Uk is in for colder weather similar to Canada's. :wink:

Another untruth spread by the warmists based on a computer model that was wrong (nothing new there then!) :roll::roll::roll:

And if you look at Canada's climate (and don't forget that Canada is very much larger than the UK) the west coast around Vancouver has weather very much like ours. :lol::lol:

Lt Kije

So is Britain going to get hotter or colder then? Given our best meteorologists with the aid of the most sophisticated computer models still can?t predict the weather accurately for much more than a day or two in advance, what?s the chance of them getting it right for a hundred years from now? :roll:

These are the sort of questions you should be asking before concerning yourself about the effect of my use of a fifty watt bulb verses a 100 watt one. :lol::lol:

We can expect Winters similar to Moscow, or any other city that has a similar latitude to us, It is the gulf stream that brings us our warmer more temperate weather :wink:

And when can we expect them? Recnt winters have been anything like Moscowesque!

I think you are just guessing Sgt.... just like all the scaremongering warmists (as Asp calls them!!)

We can expect Winters similar to Moscow, or any other city that has a similar latitude to us, It is the gulf stream that brings us our warmer more temperate weather :wink:

I've already mentioned Vancouver having a similar climate to ours (similar latitude but no Gulf Stream!) The reason Moscow has more severe winters (and hotter summers) is because it is on a large land mass which has a large anticyclone situated over it during the winter months.

The Gulf Stream does not operate in isolation. It is part of a global network of currents which transport water around the world's oceans. Are you trying to have us believe that all these currents are going to stop? Where is your evidence apart from The Grauniad and its normal AGW scaremongering?

The warmer more temperate weather comes to us courtesy of the low pressure systems that come from the (relatively) warmer Atlantic and which are driven by the jet streams. 8)8)

we all have the right to do what we like

Yep, it's great isn't it?

It's a pity that more people don't accept that they have a responsibility not to be greedy and selfish and to consider the effects of their actions on the rest of the planet. This belief that we all have a right to do this or that often seems to boil down to a me me me culture of selfishness. Don't use what you don't need and live a little simpler, you never know you might find that you actually like it!

No, what I am saying is that the Gulf Stream isn't the main driver of our weather and also that it isn't going to stop. As for your latitude point (I presume you're trying to make a point!) Vancouver's latitude is 49 20N, London's 51 30N, Warrington's 53 25N, Moscow's 55 45N. In other words the latitude of these places doesn't differ very much at all. 8)8)

we all have the right to do what we like

Yep, it's great isn't it?

It's a pity that more people don't accept that they have a responsibility not to be greedy and selfish and to consider the effects of their actions on the rest of the planet. This belief that we all have a right to do this or that often seems to boil down to a me me me culture of selfishness. Don't use what you don't need and live a little simpler, you never know you might find that you actually like it!

Nope.... I am going to be dead for a long long time and this is the only chance I have to enjoy what I have worked hard for all of my life.....

I tried simple when I was growing up and believe me I aspired for something better and I am not going to give it up because some half cut, soap dodging swampy lookalike tells me that my car is causing the world to warm up. It is a complete load of nonsense and unless all of the scientists tell me that it is not nonsense, then I will continue to drive my car and use my 60 watt light bulbs

Alison, if you are so worried about my lack of help in saving the planet feel free to double your efforts and do my share.

BTW, your reference to "greedy and selfish" is typical of the santimonious claptrap thrown at us unbelievers.

You don't know me and don't know which if any of my actions damage the planet, I find your comment about living a little simpler distasteful when living simply is the best a lot of people can afford to do.

I have worked for everything I have got so bugger off and leave me to a bit of 'me' time.