Problems with wireless internet connection

de-stress

Trying to give an answer from far away is always hard but hows the reception? you should be ablet to find that out on the lappy by searching for a Wlan and it will show you what the signal strength is..

Also where is your router and where do you use the lappy? dont forget the range is limited and walls and doors will drain the signal strength..

Steve

First and simplest thing to do is try moving the laptop nearer to the hub/router to find out whether or not it's a range issue.

If it still dosn't work, try using a network cable and if it drops on that, then your barking up the wrong haystack. :lol:

Bill :)

Nah Steve, it?s just one of my daft saying I?ve adopted over the years. Another one I often get pulled up on is It?s like banging you head on the barn door. :lol:

If you had to deal with some my customers, you?d probably end up just the same.

Whooo just realized that's another farming reference. perhaps I was a secret farmer in another life. :lol:

No I think your misunderstanding Peter. Laptops these days generally have a built in wireless card (not a modem) that allows them to connect (without wires) to devices like a modem/router that most use for Internet connectivity. If the laptop does have a built in modem, then it will probably be just a standard dial up telephone modem, which not be capable of broadband speeds.

If the wireless system isn?t working correctly, you can connect the laptop via a network cable directly to one of the ports on the router thereby eliminating a lot of the technology that may be malfunctioning.

De-stress - I've done a google search and found someone asking a similar question.

http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/forum/page-22260_18_0.html

From the thread their problems appear to have been interference from another source, phone , wireless etc - maybe a neighbour.

You could always ask your question on the 'Tomshardware' site with your specific details and see what they suggest; OR

You could enter key words in a google search, router type, dropping connection etc - I'm sure you've already tried this.

Have you asked anyone else to come around and try their Laptop on your router?

Does your Laptop work on anyone elses wireless?

When I was at Chester on Thursday I couldn't log on to the University wireless system but when I was in Glasgow I could. You might just have the wrong configuration and your laptop in incompatible with the router.

That's a very valid point Geoff. If you?re using wireless, are you sure that you?re connecting to your own router and not your neighbours? If I use my laptop at home, I can see several other wireless routers in the area and most are not secured meaning that I can connect to the Internet via their routers.

In theory, if your system isn?t secured, one of your neighbours might be connecting via your router and that could make your connection slow or drop out completely.

I had a similar problem about a month ago with my Home hub.

I eventually got a retired Bt engineer to sort it out. The problem was that the home hub will not work on an "extention" cable, especially if you are with BT.

I had an extra main cable fitted to my phone socket to sort the problem out.

You can test the Home hub is okay by connecting it straight to the phone socket where it enters the house.

You should then get the Broad band icon lighting up if the Hub is not faulty.

If the wireless system isn?t working correctly, you can connect the laptop via a network cable directly to one of the ports on the router thereby eliminating a lot of the technology that may be malfunctioning.

Thanks Bill. I am doing that. Took it into a local PC shop for him to check out. He reckons its a server problem. Will report back on findings.

And, yes I am mixing the terminology up. Self taught silver surfer. LOL

Could be that the router is on Firefox and the laptop on Explorer, which I can't change until I get it working. :evil::oops::? Watch this space. :D