This may interest no-body but me.

harry hayes

Trying to pass on my football "skills" to my grand-son I was reminded of an old memory.

After the war Warrington were no good (what's new) and my dad told me to wait for the soldiers to come back from the war. I remember feeling very sad when he said "Frank Cueto won,t be coming back". How awful that a career could be ended like that.

Found out that Mark Cueto the England and Sale winger is his grand-son (or GG-son). He must be smiling down to see his talent passed on. He made 79 appearances for the wire.

As an aside, the players did come back, but most had lost their edge or speed, which is almost as sad. Albert Johnson; Ossie Peake; Issy Davies. Mel De Lloyd; Chapman; spring to mind, among others.

Johnson died not long ago. The only player I have seen who could walk up to an opponent and side-step him (I have a two second spot on video).

All lost in the past, but perhaps worth recording.

Happy days

The point I pick up from this thread is that over the decades something very very special has been lost.The close knit community spirit that was Warrington(indeed all rugby league)all the players mentioned were coming back to play for THEIR team after witnessing untold horrors during the war.

Wonder if they would lose any sleep if a few supporters shouted at them :(

Maybe it was a great comfort to those lads to know that their Wire and supporters would be waiting for them when the conflict eventually ended.

The point I pick up from this thread is that over the decades something very very special has been lost.The close knit community spirit that was Warrington(indeed all rugby league)all the players mentioned were coming back to play for THEIR team after witnessing untold horrors during the war.

Isn't that the problem we have today in most walks of life?

NO industry, NO community, NO ownership and NO responsibility. :evil:

I can remember my father telling me of the time that Warrington donated their share of the traditional Easter and Christmas derby matches to keep Widnes afloat in 1927-8. Only for a few years later to see Widnes' get to the Challenge Cup Final, Their opponents were St.Helens, a team of stars, including 3 New Zealanders. By contrast, Widnes contained 12 locals. I believe Widnes won though. :D

In those days although the players got paid(not much) most of them would have played the game for nowt. I think that a lot of the overseas players in the time you're on about had been involved in the war and decided to settle here. Then there was something of a lull and then more players came from overseas when the game turned professional, consequently we've got more foreigners in the game than ever, most of whom feel no particular loyalty to the clubs, only the amount of moolah they can get. In my view what's now known as *Kolpak* players should be considered to be part of the quota on the playing staff. Perhaps it would give more opportunities to local lads. Having Favavasalu or whatever his name is playing for England is ludicrous. Last Saturday's debacle at The Stoop could only muster just over 3.000 people, of which quite a few must have been Wire fans. Compare that with the Widnes game v Toulouse when over 5.000 attended despite the fact that the visitors brought hardly anybody over. It's a crying shame that the Cockneys and Taffs are in Superleague when Widnes and Leigh(and others) aren't. Both clubs have superb stadiums and a sizeable core support.

Ramble over.

Murdoch, Sky Sports and Maurice Lindsay have a lot to answer for -the expansion into France (Once failed so lets try again and have two teams this time), another attempt to bring the game to Rugby Union mad Wales - failed on numerous occasions and don't forget they attempted to merge Warrington and Widnes! :shock:

With visionaries like this no wonder standards are slipping.

I can remember a time when national newspapers had dedicated Rugby League writers - well those days have long gone.

If you live outside the corridors of the M62 and don't subscribe to Sky Sports the game as we grew up and came to love hardly exists any more - other than the Challenge Cup filling a slot on the good old BBC.

God I think I am turning into Safeway (Getting old! :oops: )

The one and only time I've spoken to Paul Cullen was one Sunday morning down at Wilderspool when the proposal to merge the Wire and the Chemics was proposed...I threw my season ticket on the desk and told him to stick it where the sun don't shine.

I don't think Cull was ever in favour of the merger - any how he has had a taste of both now! :wink: