Conditions of Citizenship?

observer

Whilst this Government have toyed with the idea of establishing a criteria for "Britishness" and British Values; and are playing with citizenship classes and ceremonies for immigrants - we still don't have a written constitution or any oath of citizenship. :? The reason I ponder this question is: on Newsnight tonight, there was a Muslim Leader defending the demonstration against the Royal Anglian Regt as they marched through Luton. :roll: Now whilst their beef IMO, should have been directed against politicians, I'm prepared to accept anyone's right to protest. :? However, what really gave food for thought, when challenged that if he didn't like Britains values he was free to leave; he claimed that he has the right to establish Islamic values upon the UK - which I think says it all about the motivation of large numbers of such radicals in this Country - hence my suggestion, that we require some sort of oath of allegiance; and those not prepared to swear to it, can leave. :shock:

I prefer the "if you don't like it".

No-one would have the bottle to do what you suggest. It would probably be deemed racist.

Perhaps we need the Ozzie PM over here.

he has the "right" to impose Islamic views???

But we do not have the "right" to impose British values. :?:?:?:?

I'm 100% British but no way would I swear an oath of allegiance to this country nor any other. I'm quite aware of who and what I am and don't need to recite a form of words to remind me of it. Perhaps you would like English kids to be like American kids and swear this oath every day of their lives...Not for me thank you, nor my kids.

Actually Safe, your right, the US system seems quite a satisfactory one - just as a reminder; everyone recruited to HM Forces has to swear an oath of allegiance to the Queen anyway - this could be extended to schools, so that in a generation everyone will be sworn in, the dissidents will have died! :wink: In the immediate, it could be applied to any immigrant who has been granted citizenship, as a condition of their new nationality - then anyone preaching that the "flag of Allah" should be flying over No 10, can be returned to the land of flies and sand. :wink: