Och i the noo!

observer

See our friends from north of the border have a drink problem - one guy on TV admitted to drinking 14 bottles of wine a day. :shock: Now the Scots Gov are to cap price reductions and offers; but don't we have the same problem in England? :? If booze is cheap, easily accessible 24/7; you will have a problem; and like nicotine addiction, alcohol addiction brings in a tidy revenue stream for this two faced Government. :roll: History shows, that when licencing laws (hours restrictions) were introduced during WW1, drink related problems reduced, and this lasted until the 60s - so it is possible to change social behaviour with the right approach. :shock: But what did this Gov do - introduced round the clock opening hours and allowed the s/markets in on the act. :roll:

"and like nicotine addiction, alcohol addiction brings in a tidy revenue stream for this two faced Government"

so how much does it cost this country to treat an abuser with cancer or liver failure etc. many times what they paid in tax aquiring their avoidable diseases.

Kyje:Limit alcohol sales to "licensed" premises: return to previous opening/closing hours for pubs/clubs: increase tax on alcho-pops - should make a start! :wink: PJ, think your presumption is based on the assumption that all smokers/drinkers consume the majority of NHS funding; on the basis of your consumption theory, we'd have to introduce euthanasia at 60, abortion for all abnormalities etc etc - think you'll find the revenue stream from beer, fags and car use adequately provides for the needs of the exchequer! :roll::wink:

I

BTW, PJ's contribution is nonsense as usual.

Current and former smokers make up 90% of lung cancer sufferers. This terrible desease does cost many thousands of pounds to treat. Why do you think the Government want to stop people smoking and drinking even if it cuts down on the tax revenue? Because they love us all, because they are control freaks or perhaps because smokers and drinkers cost a fortune to keep alive? Now call me a cynic but I would go for the latter.

I personally feel that alcohol is too cheaply available from certain outlets. I think that the deals in supermarkets are too cheap and when you see the likes of ASDA having to limit the amount of cases per customer then it shows what I mean. I like a pint at the pub now and then and the difference is massive from what you pay at the off licence next door. Almost ?3 a pint at the pub and ?5.50 for 8 cans of the same lager.

I

BTW, PJ's contribution is nonsense as usual.

Why do you think the Government want to stop people smoking and drinking even if it cuts down on the tax revenue? Because they love us all, because they are control freaks or perhaps because smokers and drinkers cost a fortune to keep alive? Now call me a cynic but I would go for the latter.

Because they wanted to win the popular vote!!!

Why else would they want people to live longer when they can't afford the aging population? :?

This gov. are a continual contradiction.

They open pubs 24 hrs a day and then campaign for healthier living. What planet are they on???

Supermarkets don't have to provide a pleasant environment for you to sit down and enjoy your alcoholic purchases, with Sky Sports on, or pool tables for your entertainment. Thats why booze is cheaper in the supermarkets. A bit obvious when you think about it. :wink:

So PJ, it's OK having an NHS, just as long as you don't use it then?! :?:roll: And all those who do represent a drain on it's resources can be eliminated from the equation - wouldn't be many of us left on that basis! :shock::wink: I can't think of anything (off hand) that this Government has introduced, that has had the intended effect, without huge detrimental side effects; cos their pinko NuLab middle class view of the world unfortunately doesn't coincide with reality or predictable reaction on the ground. :roll::wink:

so how much does it cost this country to treat an abuser with cancer or liver failure etc. many times what they paid in tax aquiring their avoidable diseases.

These people pay NI, so if they don't live to draw there old age pension how much money is the government saving :wink:

Supermarkets stop selling cheap booze, I agree with

I do not agree with bringing back the old pub hours.

It does seem to be a shame though that British people in the main can not be a sensable as people on the continent when it comes to drinking. where have we gone wrong :?:

Think you may find, that historically, the British (chavs) have always had a culture of "binge" drinking; hence the introduction of "licensing hours" by Lloyd - George, to ensure folk turned up sober for war work (WW1); things tended to settle down for a while until the 60s, then began to go down hill (again) from there, this Gov then gave it the coup de grace by increasing licensed hours to 24/7. :roll: Ironically, the "local" Pub, has served a "community cohesive" function for centuries, in bringing neighbours together on "neutral" ground - alas, this Government's "smoking ban", continual tax on "the pint"; and cheap s/market competition; is now causing "the pub" to become extinct: so perhaps, instead of drunken violence outside, we'll now have hidden drunken domestic violence in the home! :shock: