Sausages

Tilly

They did a TV prog on the content - think most s/market sausages have less than 30% meat in them and lots of water. :shock: Best sausage would be self made by a butcher - some may even make them to order. :? There's a Butcher in Orford Lane, does a nice herb and garlic one. :wink:

There is a great butchers in Woolston called P.Rowles and he does great pork sausages (as well as the rest of his meat and poultry). I make toad in the hole with a bit of mustard powder too Inky and smother it with onion gravy. Fantastic. :D

Noticed a recipe for T in the H on the back of a packet of pancake mix - so it's basically Yorkshire type pudding then? :?:wink:

Yes, it is really but you can make very yummy, try looking at a recipe by Delia, I'll try and find one, Nigel Slater has thing fr toad in the hole too :wink:

Toad in the hole - Nigel Slaters recipe - from BBC food web site :wink:

Ingredients

2 free-range eggs

125g/4?oz plain flour

150ml/5fl oz milk mixed with 150ml cold water

1 level tbsp grain mustard

salt and freshly ground black pepper

6 fat, herby pork sausages

100g/3?oz thinly sliced prosciutto, pancetta, Serrano ham or thin streaky bacon - am sure could leave that out if didn't want....

3 tbsp dripping or lard

To serve

brown onion and madeira gravy

Method

1. Whisk together the eggs, flour, milk, mustard and seasoning, beating out any little lumps of flour. The consistency should be about that of ordinary double cream, but no thinner. Rest for 15 minutes.

2. Preheat the oven to 220C/425F/Gas 7.

3. Carefully remove the skin from each of the sausages. Wrap each piece of skinned sausage meat in a piece of cured ham.

4. Put the dripping or lard in a roasting tin and leave it in the oven until it is smoking.

5. Pour in the batter - it will sizzle softly in the hot fat - then arrange the sausages in the batter.

6. Transfer the tin back into the oven and bake for 25-30 minutes until puffed and golden. Serve with brown onion and madeira gravy.

Bit tooo fiddly for me - I mean, taking sausage out of it's skin and wrapping with bacon! :roll::wink:

Oh for goodness sake

This is one by Delia :

Ingredients

6 good-quality pork sausages ? about 14 oz (400 g)

1 tablespoon groundnut or other flavourless oil (if necessary)

For the batter:

3 oz (75 g) plain flour

1 large egg

3 fl oz (75 ml) semi-skimmed milk

salt and freshly milled black pepper

For the onion gravy:

8 oz (225 g) onions, peeled and sliced

2 teaspoons groundnut or other flavourless oil

1 level teaspoon golden caster sugar

1 dessertspoon Worcestershire sauce

1 level teaspoon mustard powder

15 fl oz (425 ml) vegetable stock made from 1? level teaspoons Marigold Swiss vegetable bouillon powder dissolved in 15 fl oz (425 ml) boiling water

1 rounded dessertspoon plain flour

salt and freshly milled black pepper

Pre-heat the oven to gas mark 7, 425?F (220?C).

To make:

Begin by making the batter, and to do this sieve the flour into a large bowl, holding the sieve up high to give the flour a good airing. Now, with the back of a spoon, make a well in the centre, break the egg into it and add some salt and pepper. Now, measure the milk and 2 fl oz (55 ml) water in a measuring jug, then, using an electric hand whisk on a slow speed, begin to whisk the egg into the flour ? as you whisk, the flour around the edges will slowly be incorporated. Then add the liquid gradually, stopping to scrape the flour into the mixture. Whisk until the batter is smooth. Now the batter is ready for use, and although it's been rumoured that batter left to stand is better, I have never found this, so just make it whenever it's convenient.

Now place the sliced onions in a bowl, add 1 teaspoon of the oil and the sugar and toss the onions around to get the lightest coating, then spread them on the baking tray. Next arrange the sausages in the roasting tin, then place the onions on a high shelf in the oven, with the sausages on a lower shelf, and set a timer for 10 minutes. When the timer goes off, remove the sausages from the oven but leave the onions in for a further 4-5 minutes ? they need to be nicely blackened round the edges. When they are ready, remove them and leave to one side.

Now place the roasting tin containing the sausages over direct heat turned to medium and, if the sausages haven't released much fat, add the tablespoon of oil. When the tin is really hot and the oil is beginning to shimmer ? it must be searing hot ? quickly pour the batter in all around the sausages. Immediately return the roasting tin to the oven, this time on the highest shelf, and cook the whole thing for 30 minutes.

Now for the gravy. First add the Worcestershire sauce and mustard powder to the stock, then add the onions from the baking tray to a medium-sized pan. Now add the second teaspoon of oil, then, using a wooden spoon, stir in the plain flour. Stir all this together over a medium heat and then switch to a whisk, then gradually add the stock to the pan, whisking all the time, until it's all in. Then bring it up to simmering point and gently simmer for 5 minutes. Taste to check the seasoning, then pour into a warmed serving jug. When the toad is ready, it should be puffed brown and crisp and the centre should look cooked and not too squidgy. Serve it immediately with the gravy, and it's absolutely wonderful with mashed potato.

BUT if you can't be bothered or don't want to fiddle am quite sure good quality sausages in a hot roasting tin with a packet batter mix made up and poured over would be yummy too

Suet Dumplings

Ingredients

4oz shredded suet

8oz self raising flour

water

Directions

add suet and flour together whilst dry.

add water gradually until the dumplings are the right consistency(just moist enough to hold the dumplings together)

roll mixture into small balls (bear in mind the dumplings will expand whilst cooking)

drop the dumplings into the stew 20 mins before the stew is cooked.

Quite often I jazz them up a little by adding chopped parsley or other herbs to the suet and flour.

I've even made spicy dumplings by adding chopped chillies.

Only thing to bear in mind is that they absorb quite a bit of liquid from the stew, so it's best to make your stew with plenty of stock.

Are "dumplings" fattening? :?

Observer! Are you doing this on purpose? Are you getting money from the Doh for checking these type of forum topics to remind people what they should and shouldn't eat :wink: Or are you on a diet, if so stop, just eat sensibly.

Of course they're fattening, look at the ingredients!! BUT, if you were an active person or it was a treat one or two dumplings wouldn't harm you, they be like a big hug and we all know that hugs make the world go round dont we :)

I love the odd suet dumpling or a suet pasty to cap off a hotpot but sadly the wife doesn?t so I either have to make it myself, or go without.

Back to sausages though, both of us agree that sausages just don?t taste as good as they used to and even the posh ones don?t taste that good. My mum used to buy sausages from the co-op and back then as I remember, the choice was either beef or tomato.

As a kid, I liked nothing more than a pile of mashed potato as the fort, two sausages cut in half to make turrets and finished off with a moat of bake beans. I did this recently for the grandkids and they were all made up!

Bill :)