NuLab abstain !

observer

It is a typical copout. They are simply leaving themselves a get out whichever way the budget pans out.

On such an issue you either support on not, by abstaining they are declaring their incompetance or disrespecting their positions as our representatives. Being whipped into shape comes to mind.

It should be the duty of "the opposition" to present THEIR alternative budget; then voters would have an idea what difference they would make. :? However, with such limited scope, operating in the statutory straight-jacket of Westminister and Brussels, they're probably only left with their priority - sorting out their allowances. :wink::lol:

I sense that there were some who wanted to vote for it, and number of the "old guard" who opposed it as a matter of principle so the compromise was for all to abstain....fair enough, it's their right.

No alternative budget was put forward. As I recall when it was a Labour run administration, and one year the Conservative Group did not put forward an alternative budget, Labour mocked them. At last Monday's budget debate, the Labour finance spokesman, Cllr Joyce was not in attendance, his colleague, Cllr Kenny, I thought made an appropriate and measured response to what was a good budget proposal.........given the low central government grant we receive and the limited scope for manoeuvre.

It should be the duty of "the opposition" to present THEIR alternative budget; then voters would have an idea what difference they would make. :? However, with such limited scope, operating in the statutory straight-jacket of Westminister and Brussels, they're probably only left with their priority - sorting out their allowances. :wink::lol:

As an opposition group, they don't really have that last option either Observer. Cllr Campbell (Conservative - Penketh & Cuerdley) produced an excellent report on that matter just recently. :wink:

I sense that there were some who wanted to vote for it, and number of the "old guard" who opposed it as a matter of principle.

That's why people get turned off by politics.

They ALL have a job to do, get on with it and leave the party dogma to electioneering.

If they ALL looked inwards and dealt with ALL the financial waste that takes place with expensive meaningless meetings and excessive numbers of office staff, there would be MORE money to go around from the pot that they have got.

I would have thought that the Tory element would have distanced themselves from the shannigans of the Lib-Dems and sold themselves to the public as a worthwhile party. Instead they are seen as the lapdogs of the Lib-Dems who follow obediently.

Labour must be rubbing their hands. :roll: