Should 71 year old Skate?

Geoffrey Settle

Hope I'm that energetic when I get to his age..... infact I wish I was now :lol:

I might get my old roller blades out again and start practicing :shock:

Must admit I did wonder why he chose to skate where he did though ie weaving in and out of shoppers :lol::lol::wink:

Heard him on Radio 5 today. The bloke is an arrogant idiot who thinks he is immune from any laws and bylaws because he is old.

If he carries on, one day he will run into someone and hurt them very badly.

That's why councils build skate parks :D

In Germany you see lots of people skating on footpaths. Not to show off like this guy, but simply as a quicker means of getting about.

I would have thought that here in Warrington, a much bigger and more dangerous problem is that of people CYCLING on pavements.

You can't hear them coming up behind you and if you should happen to step sideways at the wrong moment a collision would be almost inevitable. I know the police, PCSOs and parking wardens have other jobs to do, but I think they should be doing something to discourage this habit which now seems to be accepted as perfectly normal behaviour but which is still actually against the law.

We are getting more skaters by the day in town - students from Priestley hot footing along the Causeway and over railway bridge - then into Bridge Street ? but have not seeng them there yet. I agree that action over cyclists of all ages on footpaths and through red lights is long overdue - most can't bother with a bell and probably uninsured if injuring a pedestrian.

Re;the skater.

there were signs up all around the streets he was skating on saying skating was prohibited.Why couldn't he just skate along the 'prom'.It's a lovely walk now it's all been done up.I agree with him being punished,just because he's elderly he cannot flount the law.I think he's great for his age too.

He was on the telly when the court case was being heard- he was weaving through the shoppers at speed so yes a fine is justified.

I was reminded of the days when I used to go to the ice rink and the speed merchants caused no end of accidents during the "family friendly" Sunday afternoon opening. There is a time and a place for speed skating- flouting it is wrong

Now that brings back memories :lol:

Warringtons Roller Rink... What a great place that was. I saved up for ages for my cool Bauer skates 8) Good old days

I used to go there most of the week but never on a Sunday so it definately wasn't me who spoilt your family outing!!!!

Round and round in circles until the half time, lights down, figure of 8, 'Bat out of Hell' and 'everyone for themselves' high speed skate wipe out... only got knocked over once. It hurt so much I made sure I was on guard and invincible after that :lol:

Wouldn't be allowed these days for health and safety reasons.. not suprising though really :lol:

I was never brave enough to go on the half pipe though :shock: