Whistle Blower for spammers etc

Geoffrey Settle

Where has the whistle blower facility gone?

From the inference by a couple of experienced posters there appear to be a number of spammers arrived on this site.

It would be nice if we could blow the whistle on them and get their links removed quickly by the admin team before the spammers do damage. This facility appears to have been removed during the recent upgarde.

mt-blacklist.gif

The moderator bods read and post on the forums so I guess they have seen the postings.

Maybe they are just watching for now as the posts aren't actually offensive and the comments do 'sort of' fit in with the topics. The only odd bit is the web link but that in itself does not seem offensive.

Guess it's only fair to give 'some' posters the benefit of the doubt for a week to see if they engage in any other topic discussions under the same name :wink:

This forum doesn't have the whistle which was often broken any way as it activated an email which often got treated as spam! :oops:

Just PM me Peter aor Steve if you have any concerns.

I have deactivated the "spammers accounts".

They seem to be getting clever now by actually taking part in debates.

Cheers Gary, I prefer the little tins of corn beef but are they really clever getting involved in our bebates? I'd have thought that it could be more risky for them, especially up against obs?

grin574l.jpg look what haapened to me after my debate with lightweight larry :( and that was before the footy debate.

They don't get involved in debates at all, its just cleaver software picking up on what?s being discussed in a similar way that the adverts on these pages change depending on what?s being discussed.

Bill :)

Well as far as I know I have now blocked the culprit and deleted their profile e.t.c - please let me know if they come back.

• 3 weeks later...
So what's happening Gary?

These drug interventin type spammers seem to be popping up with amazing regularity these days. Maybe the security of the registration process needs to be tightened up?

We seem to be picking them off one by one - the only way I can completely stop them is by having a registration queue which from previous experience doesn't work very well as most people who have a point to make want to make it at the moment they are inspired - if they are left waiting they generally lose interest.

As it is the vast majority who join post once or twice and then get frightened off by some of our less than friendly "banter!" :roll:

I understand all that Gary but I thought part of the registration process required people to type in a visually corrupted security sequence designed to stop automated spamming systems?

As regards frightening people off perhaps you might have a word with some of the inmates here regarding the amount political spamming they're doing.

......As it is the vast majority who join post once or twice and then get frightened off by some of our less than friendly "banter!" :roll:

I must have missed all the postings by the vast majority over the last few years then :lol:

You sound like a councillor Gary :lol::lol::P

I understand all that Gary but I thought part of the registration process required people to type in a visually corrupted security sequence designed to stop automated spamming systems?

It does - but these latest sad characters are actually real people with genuine email accounts who have decided to target this forum.

The only way to get rid of them is manually - I have started to put a few Ip blocks in as well - but sooner or later this will start blocking a few regular posters if we are not careful.