The Nanny State

Egbert

Interesting debate on Radio 4 this morning about The Nanny State. There was a guy on putting forward the rather unfashionable view that the state doesn't nanny us enough.

I was interested particularly because it was a similar argument to one I had been tossing around in my own mind recently. That is, that there are so many inadequate people around that we can't, as a society, really be surprised if the state wants to nanny us.

It seems to me that the people who complain most about the "Nanny State" are usually those who most need nannying.

What do others think?

I've noticed for some strange reason that a large number of folk are totally indicisive in all that they do. :? EG; shopping in the s/market - I know exactly what I want, where to go etc and can be round the s/market in 20 minutes or less, passing all the gorps that are clogging the aisles, trying to make up their minds what they want. :roll: Perhaps this reliance on other folk to make decisions for them, has encourage Gov to be more interventionist? :?:wink:

perhaps it is because they want to buy something but cannot afford it as the grabbing banks and government have taken most of their money.

It is difficult to shop now without browsing because of cost.

It has been too easy for people to do as they were told, but now it is past a joke. The nanny state is a danger to civil liberties

I've noticed for some strange reason that a large number of folk are totally indicisive in all that they do. :? EG; shopping in the s/market - I know exactly what I want, where to go etc and can be round the s/market in 20 minutes or less, passing all the gorps that are clogging the aisles, trying to make up their minds what they want. :roll: Perhaps this reliance on other folk to make decisions for them, has encourage Gov to be more interventionist? :?:wink:

Lol I have to admit Obs this made me laugh, I also can be in and out of the supermarket in 20 minutes but sometimes I like to browse, maybe just enjoy looking at everything else on the shelves to see the choices...I mean cmon you must be fed up of Spam butties and Dr Pepper by now :P

I was working in Leicester yesterday and woke in my hotel room to find the place under a few inches of snow. I drove to the site near Hinckley OK and the chap I was working for drove down to meet me. He lives up near Garstang and he arrived at about 10am.

However there was a bit of a delay because the woman who operated the machine we were trying to improve rang in to say she couldn't get into work..... she lived 4 miles away!!

Luckily we managed without her!

Another example of a conveinient excuse perhaps?? :lol:

That is, that there are so many inadequate people around that we can't, as a society, really be surprised if the state wants to nanny us.

Inadequate by who's standard, yours, the armed forces, the Government, a raving right wing religious nut? This where it gets dangerous, because YOU could be inadequate in the eyes of the authority. Not so quick to advocate the British NKVD then are we? If you feel you need more nannying see a councillor or date someone with a bus pass but do not impose your insecurities on the free thinkers.

It started with the no gun law!! People give up the right to protect themselves then they look to someone else to do it for them! Nanny State.

God bless America :roll:

Fancy a concept like having a law and order system to protect you when you can DIY. Damn commies. We should all have the god given right to shoot our own neighbour. Civilised behavior is for those mamby pamby Europeans.

Sorry couldn't resist :wink: