21 months -

observer

So at approximately ?35,000.00 a year to keep her in prison, that adds up to a whopping ?61,250.00 of taxpayers money.

Pity she lived through the crash, would have saved us a lot of money.

But yet another example of the disgraceful and shambolic state our courts are in and just shows how out of touch with the majority of the people these judges and the people who recommend these tarrfis are.

I believe the young girl she ploughed into was waiting for someone to come and fix her flat tyre..... terrible

what gets me is that these days all phones have blue tooth and hands free blue tooth earpieces and dirt cheap so there is no need to be holding a phone conversation with the phone in your hand.

i always use the ear piece when i am driving and leave the phone in my pocket on the odd occasion when i have been called it is easy to activate the earpiece and carry on talking whilst walking or driving.

admittedly it is not the ideal way to drive but people feel obligated to answer the phone when it rings. in my case it was a work thing that any phone ringing was to be answered by the third ring if possible.

as for sending text messages whilst driving it is beyond belief. it takes me ten minutes to type in even the shortest text message when i am sat at home to attempt to write one whilst negotiating traffic in a car even as a passenger would be almost impossible for me ( i am a very nervous passenger).

the jail sentence of 21 months works out at 1 month per text as for the ban a lifetime ban should have been given and twenty percent of any earnings should be paid to the family of the young girl for life. not that it would help them in their grief or make up for the loss of a daughter/wife/mother.

the laws clear - tarrifs are set by committee not a singular judge - his hands were very much tied - if you aint happy lobby for change but unles syou want more prisons on your doorstep then therein lies the problem.

Just playign devils advocate here. generally agree that the tarrifss are a bit lenient.

Did she also receive a life time driving ban....probably not. The number of people I see still using mobile phones in their cars whilst driving is amazing/disgraceful.

She recieved a 12 month driving ban.. not a lot is it..

Steve

does the driving ban start after the jail sentence or at the same time?

I imagine that one of those big bangin' sound systems these young kids have in their saxos are a lot more distracting than using a phone so why not ban them; in fact why not ban all radios?

While we are at it, have you ever seen two women in a car? the driver and passenger never stop talking and the driver is always looking left rather than at the road in front!

Ban women from the passenger seat too!

Did she also receive a life time driving ban....probably not. The number of people I see still using mobile phones in their cars whilst driving is amazing/disgraceful.

She recieved a 12 month driving ban.. not a lot is it..

Steve

does the driving ban start after the jail sentence or at the same time?

Actualy thats a good point i bet along with the prison stay,cant punish her twice can we!!

@safeway

Well i use a satnav all the time and i dont get distracted but thats because i am used to it and dont look constantly at the display,it can be distracting if your not used to it and just stare at the display instead of the road..

Steve

Well this idiot finds his satnav is great and saves him lots of time mapreading and it means i dont have to stop on roads and cause an obstruction whilst i read a map,I also save on fuel as i dont have to keep searching for Firms,so that helps the enviroment as well..

I save time and hence save the Company money

So i dont think i am the idiot

Steve

Actualy no it doesnt, years ago they used to use steam to run engine but guess what the improved things and they now have diesel and petrol driven engine which are far better than the steam ones,it save money and time for everyone.. so i guess thats what you call improving and moving on..

And yes i did stop and cause obstructions whilst mapreading or would it of been better to read the map and drive at the same time??

Planing a journey is easy if its local but try traveling 200 kms or more and not having to read/look at a map!! i bet you cant...unless you like getting lost..

your turn..

Steve :lol:

While we are at it, have you ever seen two women in a car? the driver and passenger never stop talking and the driver is always looking left rather than at the road in front!

Ban women from the passenger seat too!

Slightly unfair there Baz we're not all like that :shock::lol::P

Anyway don't male drivers need females in their passenger seats to point out their errors in driving and judgement so maybe not a good idea to ban them altogether :P:lol:

Only idiots need Satnav........You managed before, manage now.

Guess I'm a idiot too then.

Surely driving whilst being given voiced directions from a Sat Nav is far safer than trying to navigate unaided through an area that you are completely unfamiliar with whilst you also attempt to read street signs and try to remember your map directions that you read before you set off etc etc....

How often do you see drivers reading pieces of paper on their steering wheel or with heads on a pivot frantically trying to read all the signs at a junction:shock: How can they be concentrating on what is actually going on the road around them when they are so focusing on that Sat Nav takes a lot of the stress and panic out of getting from A to B... even though they often take you via C :wink:

So, it's not possible to make a journey of 200 miles(since when has the kilometre been the unit of distance in this country?) without consulting a map. Having been a trucker for 40 years I can take you anywhere in the UK without consulting a map. Not only that I can take you anywhere in the UK without the need to travel on a motorway. Only when I arrive would I have to seek help with local destinations. That's the only occasion a sat nav would be of any use to me. Maps would be useless. A-Z is very useful though.

shows the stupidity of the "law"

She should have been banned from having a phone for 21 months.

She should have been made to pay compensation at 25% of her wages for 20 years, taken directly from her employers pay roll .

She should have been made to visit her victim's grave every week with a witness for at least 2 years.

made to do service in the accident emergency hospital

anything but costing tax money