A little bit of snow...

milly

...causes chaos across the UK. According to the BBC this morning there has been 5cm of snow across the south causing the cancellation of buses, trains and planes, people unable to get to work, motorways at a stand still. How the hell would we cope if we got several FEET of snow? Why is it that other countries seem to be able to cope, but anything less than normal and the country grinds to a halt!

Do they not have rock salt down south?

watched ice road truckers last night. -40 with the wind chill and they are driving across 38 inches of ice in big trucks towing trailers with loads in excess of forty tons, no problems 8)

had to laugh at one point when one of the truckers said that it was a balmy day the temp was only -22.

still they have been doing it for many years so are used to the conditions i suppose unlike us where half an inch brings the country to a standstill. :roll:

...causes chaos across the UK. According to the BBC this morning there has been 5cm of snow across the south causing the cancellation of buses, trains and planes, people unable to get to work, motorways at a stand still. How the hell would we cope if we got several FEET of snow? Why is it that other countries seem to be able to cope, but anything less than normal and the country grinds to a halt!

Do they not have rock salt down south?

I thought as a nation we rather enjoyed the chaos caused by the snow, if they got it sorted we would have nothing to moan about, and just think of all of the news reports we would miss. :wink::D

so we had a few inches of snow, it's panic stations, and the country almost comes to a standstill.

Who remembers the winter of 62/63?

Snow up to your knees and a two mile walk to school in blizzard conditions. Can I have a day off today Mam? No, you can set off a bit earlier.

And when it turned to ice, the condensation in our house froze to the walls. If I got up in the middle of the night wanting something to drink, I used to lick the icicles off my bedroom wallpaper.

We are now a nation of mamby pambys.

Talking of ice............

I'll start at the begining. Did you watch the 25.000 quid get snatched from the Eggheads tonight? Poor owld Daphne had to be revived with smelling salts. How desperate is this woman to beat the oposing team?

Anyway, I digress.

If I was a celebrity Ice skater on Dancing on Ice. I would demand to have Daphne from the Eggheads as my partner. At the first given opertunity I would lift her high in the air, spin her around at an alarming rate, then drop her on her face.

Talking of ice............

I'll start at the begining. Did you watch the 25.000 quid get snatched from the Eggheads tonight? Poor owld Daphne had to be revived with smelling salts. How desperate is this woman to beat the oposing team?

Couldnt agree more the woman is a disgrace - and what's all this about having 6 eggheads? If Kevin has a day off the eggheads have no chance! :wink:

It was only a few years ago that I saw some idiot bloke pushing a baby in a pram down the middle of the Bridgy (Dukes'ys) when it was frozen over.

Daphne. Don't you just luv to hate her?

Ooooh, I honestly have no idea. Oooooh, this is a complete guess. Oooooh, do you know, I have never heard of this one, ooooooh is it...................

And yes I remember 1963, walking to school (in shorts!!!!) 20 minutes through the snow and ice from the bus. And not one day off even when the heating was down (they closed half the windows in compensation :D:D:D:D )

I've heard reference to the "Dunkirk Spirit" in the context of our whimpish, risk averse response to a bit of snow: now I wonder how this generation would have coped with extricating 300,000 of our soldiers from the beaches of Dunkirk? :? First we would have to send the Elf and Safety Inspectors over to do a risk assessment; then ensure that the fishermen and their boats comply with EU rules and the working hours directives; we would have to ensure that other EU labour was allowed to tender for the job; and the boats would only be allowed to carry a restricted number of soldiers. :roll::wink:

Just out of interest - what sort of mighty vessel do you skipper?

The one I'm on is a 4800 deadweight clean petroleum product tanker. We have tankers up to 15000 deadweight in the fleet. :D:D

Yes there are and they are paid well above ITF rates and are very happy to be here. :):) We also have Poles, Romanians, Indians, Pakistanis, Nigerians, Canadians, Ghanaians, English, Irish, Scots and Welsh. Very inclusive this job :wink::wink::wink:

Of course they could, but unfortunately not many British people are interested in hard work oops sorry I mean a life at sea! :roll::roll::roll: