Why ??

Dizzy

Headline news today (actual link below so I don't get done for copyright :lol: )

Every home in the UK is to have broadband internet access by 2012 under Government plans.

Lord Carter's Digital Britain report proposed to scrap BT's obligation to ensure every home has access to a telephone line and replace it with a requirement to provide broadband.

This so-called universal service commitment would aim to ensure everyone had quick enough internet access to watch videos online.

http://latestnews.virginmedia.com/news/uk/2009/01/29/digital_blueprint_to_target_piracy

:?::? Why is this a 'Government plan' as surely everyone already has the the choice of having broadband internet access if they actually want it ???

.. and why do the government care so much about people having quick enough internet access to watch videos online :?

Seems a bit odd considering the main part of the plan seems to relate to new proposals to force ISP's to monitor peoples online activity and of course the problems with video/music piracy etc.

Wonder how much it will all cost though and who will be paying for it :shock::lol:

.....or maybe the government are proposing that we should all get broadband internet access for free so we have something to do when we are out of work :wink:

I guess I'm just missing the point somewhere eh :oops:

My guess is that virtually all homes in the UK can have broadband already, maybe the government should be going a stage further and ensuring that it is up to Japanese standards of download speeds.....an eyewatering 100Mbps :wink:

Paul, FYI there are homes in Westbrook and Callands that struggle to get broadband due the the fact that we are fed from the town centre exchange and with the main route of cables going down old Liverpool Road and up Cromwell Ave, the distance is a big problem. Also, for some insane reason Westbrook (or at least a large part of it) was never cabled by Nynex (Cable and Wireless/Telewest/whatever they are called this week) so we can't even get fibre links here!

When we moved from one end of our close to the other, I applied to get a business line installed, purely for Broadband. When they finally gt the line in; it failed the broadband tests 3 times before they managed to tweak it enough to work and even now it is crap!

There are actually many parts of the country, mainly rural areas it is true, where broadband is either not available at all or is not much good. I think this is what they mean. At least I hope it is - one report I read made it sound as if they were going to make free broadband available which would be somewhat annoying to those of us who have paid for it! By the way, ?40-a-month does seem a bit steep - even for business use.

• 2 weeks later...

Hidden Spy Camera & Mic Found Inside Digital TV Box

A popular video circulating on You Tube shows the discovery of a spy camera and a microphone hidden inside a digital TV converter box. Such devices are part of a government and industry surveillance program that is undoubtedly connected to the forced digital TV switchover being rolled out in the UK and US.

http://www.prisonplanet.com/hidden-spy-camera-mic-found-inside-digital-tv-box.html

I hope they are spying through my digi box at the moment.

What they will see is my dog 'watching' a wildlife prog on the tv :lol:

At least some programmes are worth watching.. for some anyway :lol::wink:

Seriously though they just wouldn't get away with doing that and youtube is the place for clever windups. Bet it's got loads of hits though and wonder how many people are taking their digi boxes apart as we 'type' :lol::lol: