Now THEY want 20mph limits!

Bill

I repeat a comment I regularly make, it would be nice if drivers would obey the 30 mph limit...and not treat it as the minimum speed that they have to drive at.

I notice the Ministry of Justice is considering adding ?15 to speeding tickets to provide more money for the victims of crime fund. Currently only fines imposed by the Courts have the ?15 surcharge.

Might be better if the ?15 was used to fund more traffic police. :wink:

• Replies 155
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 11 months later...

Front page news today informs us that the police are going to get tough on people who drive above 20mph on Long Lane claiming "Speed limits are in place for a reason" :roll:

That's true when the road has a bad history of accidents but what we have here is purely a temporary experiment by WBC road planners to ascertain if a 20mph speed limit would work on a main A road.

I would suggest that the outcome of the experiment was known before it began as similar trials have been carried out many times across the country with predicable results.

The question we should be asking is if it?s a WBC test, is it right to use police enforcement with threats of fines and prosecutions because that will affect the results, just as it would with any other road.

People don?t obey artificially low speed limits and if you need any proof, just take a trip down to the general hospital and see if you can find anyone driving at 5mph. Even the bloody laundry trolleys go faster than that!

Bill :)

I see your point Bill but surely if the roads have been dropped to a 20mph zone then there is a reason for it... maybe a local school or highly residential area with a lot of accidents or kids !?

Personally I think that anyone who drives in excess of the limit (providing of course that it is signed well) deserves a ticket and I'd love to get my hands on a speed gun for the day on our so called 30mph road :evil: Would certainly rake in the dosh round here.

I have a speed gun if your really interested Diz and your very welcome to borrow it but you might be surprised by the results. We used it to do some undercover surveillance on our local roads and in a couple of hours of measuring, we only clocked one person over the limit (woman 4x4 driver 38mph :lol: ).

As far as I can remember, the average round here worked out at about 26mph indicating that the vast majority of drivers adjusted their speed to the road conditions and any perceived risks. I suspect if you took the gun and carried out a statistically accurate test then you'd probably find much the same.

Bill :)

Might take you up on that one weekend Bill although presumably I'd have to be fully trained to use it first 8) One false move and I may clock a tree doing 50 mph :lol:

Good to know that after your local surveilance you only actually recorded one speeder although presumably many drivers all slowed down when they spotted you.... only to put their foot down again later on :?

Thinking about it logically though I guess I only ever remember the bloody speeders and those that crash or rip wing mirrors off round here (noticed another wingy gone off to wingy floor heaven today near mine) whilst without doubt there are many more other law abiding drivers going past unnoticed and unremembered thanks to their careful driving :oops::wink:

Perhaps I'm best just not dwelling on it eh but it's rarely the careful drivers who cause accidents :cry::wink: