Now THEY want 20mph limits!

Bill

• Replies 155
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well avoiding the road as I said earlier is just plain silly. Unless the guidance has changed, I doubt that anyone could be fined for exceeding 20mph (but don?t take my word for it). My understanding was the criterion for lowering the limit to 20mph was that the road had to show it already had an averaged speed of 24mph or less. Average figures between 24 and 27 could be considered but the police would not enforce them.

Bill :)

Well avoiding the road as I said earlier is just plain silly.

Thank you dear for telling me how silly I am, but you don't know where I'm coming from or where I'm going. I can go down Marsh House Lane, or down Manchester Road, and by the time I've cut across to where I want to be it's not any worse than waiting for the lights near the Tech College.

It sees to me that people take all sorts of routes and have all sorts of destinations. Surely?

My office is on Long Lane and going down there on Monday with my Cruise control set at 21mph (I am lucky enough to have a car that will run at 20 mph on cruise!!

Some knob in a brand new Astra boy racer mobile was on my tail until we got past flare.... then he floored it past me at about 50 and made a rude gesture at me as though I was in the wrong!

Where was the camera van then??

You did the right thing Baz...as is always the way, had you have speeded...the camera van would be there. :wink:

My apologies young lady but I was actually referring to the scheme being silly rather than you and sorry it didn?t quite read that way. :oops: If you recall in my earlier post I said,

-----------

I doubt these limits will have a great affect on the actual volume of traffic using roads such as Long Lane as there is very little in the way of alternative routes. And if it did result in a flow reduction, all that would prove is that the planners had managed to divert traffic from a main ?A? road into residential back roads.

-------------

I appreciate it does depend where you going but when I go over that way I basically have two choices. The shortest most direct route that takes me through the housing estates of Orford and Longford with the parked cars, narrow roads and speed bumps. The longer route?s quicker and safer because it avoids all these issues being mainly straight roads with double yellows.

My point is that if you?re avoiding the road, then the chances are so are others and forcing people to take the least safe option isn?t just silly, it?s incredibly silly!

Does SatNav help avoid these "stupid" restrictions?! :wink:

Seems not Obs... well not for the one outside the Town Hall anyway :?

I don't know where any of the other local 20mph new restrictions are so can't comment on them.

Our Sat Nav is updated automatically with any new or temporary road restrictions etc so I guess Warrington may not have informed them of it yet :wink::?

Can't win: a short trip to Town and I had a young male tailgateing me, so played with my brake lights for a while, which didn't seem to work. :shock: Anyway having got rid of him, I got stuck behind an old blue rinsed biddy doing about 20mph in a 30mph zone, reverse situation. :roll: Seems speed, or the perception of it, is inversely proportional to age. :roll:

Can't win: a short trip to Town and I had a young male tailgateing me, so played with my brake lights for a while, which didn't seem to work. :shock: Anyway having got rid of him, I got stuck behind an old blue rinsed biddy doing about 20mph in a 30mph zone, reverse situation. :roll: Seems speed, or the perception of it, is inversely proportional to age. :roll:

Maybe not Obs.... perhaps the 'biddy' just likes to keep up on local news issues and was concerned that she 'might' be driving in one of the newly designated 20mph zones :wink::P:lol:

• 3 weeks later...

Received the following:

Dear Councillor Kennedy

At 20?s Plenty for Us we are very pleased to have been asked by the European Transport Safety Committee to go to Brussels and make two presentations in April and May on the work and success we have been achieving across the country. We will be taking part in their ShLOW project which is mobilising transport research into speed management.

We will be presenting to students selected from all around Europe who will be spending a special week long training course in Speed Management projects. Their knowledge can be taken back into their community for local campaigning. 20?s Plenty For Us have been chosen to present the lecture on ?Raising awareness about speed?. And this has an important Warrington perspective.

20?s Plenty For Us is not only a national campaign based in Warrington, but our initial campaign was the result of a cycle trip made to our twin town, Hilden, to understand the basis of their high levels of cycling.

20?s Plenty For Us therefore owes its very existence and values to the strong links between ourselves in Warrington and our twin town.

I therefore look forward to presenting in Brussels not only the success that 20?s Plenty For Us have had across the country, but also the way in which towns like Warrington can, through sharing our pan-European experiences, learn a great deal from our neighbours. In addition, I will be bringing out the fact that although the campaign for lower speeds initially had a cycling perspective, this has over the years developed a far wider content as we realise the wider benefits to walkers, the elderly, the young, the disabled, the blind and partially sighted, the deaf, those who cannot drive and those who simply do not wish to drive.

I will be proud to be able to be representing our town as one that is able to change and develop, and will be celebrating the recent developments on 20 mph for residential roads and our intention to deliver the benefits of lower speeds to so many of our Warrington citizens who aspire towards a better way of sharing our public streets.

20?s Plenty For Us is also getting involved in many events around the country including local 20 mph campaigns that are springing up around the country and national events.

20?s plenty For Us is now a member of the Parliamentary Advisory Council on Transport Safety (PACTS) and we recently attended their annual conference on Safety and Sustainability. We also had a stand at the recent ?Speed Management? conference run by the Local Transport Today publication.

Next week we have been invited to have a stand at the national Living Streets (formerly the Pedestrians Association) supporter?s conference which celebrates their 80th birthday. Interestingly it was the Pedestrian?s Association which was formed in 1929 to do something about the fact that there were no speed limits on British roads. Their achievement was a 30 mph national speed limit in 1934. One which they now accept as inappropriate for today?s overcrowded roads and they are firm supporters of our 20?s Plenty campaign. In May we will be presenting to members of the Northern Ireland Assembly in Stormont on the benefits of lower speeds for their towns and villages.

Here at home we are also looking forward to working with David Boyer and his staff to maximise the success of the recent pilots through improved community engagement with a view to accelerating the progress on widening the limits to cover the whole town.

In 2008, 20?s Plenty For Us was aiming to have 1 million people in authorities which were committed to 20 mph as the correct speed for residential roads. This it achieved and in 2009 we are looking to increase that to 5 million. We are pleased with our progress to date and look forward to an exciting year.

Once again thank you for your support and consideration of this important initiative for our Warrington communities.

Best regards

Rod King

20's Plenty For Us

Mr King, if nothing else, is very polite. :wink:

I'm not taking sides in this but, if a motorist who pays his road tax on his car also rides a bike, would he have to pay two lots of tax? Or if he rode his bike to work and only drove his car on Sundays to go to church would he have a case for paying less tax? It's a minefield out there. 8)8)

Let's not get too bothered about who does and doesn't pay road taxes, the question is, is a 20mph speed limit Borough wide on "residential" roads required and will the residents support it. In a democracy, maybe Mr King should go to the electorate with his proposals....2010 will be his first opportunity here in Warrington.

Let's not get too bothered about who does and doesn't pay road taxes, the question is, is a 20mph speed limit Borough wide on "residential" roads required and will the residents support it. In a democracy, maybe Mr King should go to the electorate with his proposals....2010 will be his first opportunity here in Warrington.

I'm sure that there will be opportunities before then Paul, given some of the Dinasaurs on the Council. :D

Given the choice, most people would opt for reduced speeds outside their own homes but at the same time they want to be able to commute quickly and here lies the dilemma.

The original thinking was that nobody would object to 20mph default applied to truly residential roads provided the arterial and feeder roads that account for the lions share of most journeys were unaffected.

Makes sense to me, but our loony planners have done just the opposite by trying to slow people down on main roads then telling them its ok to speed up when they turn into residential side roads.

The thing is that by choosing this backward way of doing things, the planners have turned a good idea into a bad one and set public opinion against the idea which is a pretty dumb thing to do when the whole thing relies on public co-operation.