Cheapest is not best!

observer

Seems cheap "own label" products from super-markets can be a false economy, as they contain less protein per pound than the better priced stuff. :shock: The average sausage contains only 40% meat, this could be increased to around 60% or more for as little as .1p per sausage, but for some reason the s/markets prefer selling us lower quality food?! :roll::wink:

Or could it be that some folk can't afford the good stuff?! :shock:

Or even those who can may not want the overpriced supposed "good stuff" and I do not need a lesson in being poor from you Observer, my memory is not that bad yet :shock:

I get my meat from the butchers and I get my fruit and veg from the farm shop. Both are significantly better value than the supermarket stuff and I honestly believe that it is far far cheaper to eat healthily than not. Casseroles and stews and broths using the cheaper cuts of meat are a firm favourite in our house. We usually get 3 meals out of a good chicken and not neccesarily because we can't afford anything else but because we like it so much. Prosessed meals and takeaway food are far more expensive on the pocket and to ones health than cooking your own meals but of course this takes a little time and effort.

they do but they charge more. In the run up to xmas the extra special ranges were flying off the shelves but now the budget lines are the big sellers. Food is only really extra special if it is fresh and homecooked in my opinion. There will always be a market for the cheapest possible food sadly as some people see it as saving money regardless what the "food" contains. Sometimes The same people object to paying a pound more for the better quality food but see no problem laying out over a fiver for fags. :roll: