Scrooge is alive and well.

Peter T

Students at Priestley College have been using the small Greenall's Carpark on Lousher's Lane as they were moved off the grass opposite the gates.

The carpark has now had the entrances blocked to stop this. It appears (allegedly) according to my informant, that Greenalls want paying for the privilege.

They now park along the road as far as the apex of the bridge and the others park on the playing field carpark.

And before anyone mentions public transport, more than enough use the buses, as they are always full in a morning.

I just think that we should be encouraging these students in pursuit of their education, rather than making things more difficult. I don't think Greenall's are particularly short of money. :evil:

:evil: This is a disgusting move by Greenall's and yet another example of the big boys bullying those who are trying to educate themselves so as to gain a good job in the future. No doubt the car park will now remain totally empty for several years to come.... next they will complain about cars blocking the entrances to the brewery !!!

Greenall's please wake up and stop picking on teenagers who are just trying to educate themselves further. What is your problem here?? show a little community spirit, after all you profit greatly from Warrington people drinking your products !!! Maybe a boycott of buying your products across the town may shake you into action.

I feel as i am the Presenter and Producer of Warrington.tv and my son being at the college that a warrington.tv news film outside the car park to highlight this issue and broadcast across Warrington and indeed the region as well as the world may bring this issue to the forefront of public awareness.

Give our youth a chance to study in peace or why not contribute to parking charges for them....... :evil:

:evil:

I feel as i am the Presenter and Producer of Warrington.tv and my son being at the college that a warrington.tv news film outside the car park to highlight this issue and broadcast across Warrington and indeed the region as well as the world may bring this issue to the forefront of public awareness.

:evil:

Blimey and you call the brewery bullies :wink::wink:

This is a big story and one that will be of public emotion and interest ....... it deserves a tv exclusive .... :roll: always has an effect on decisions... I worked for Greenalls many years ago and i know how their pr department hates bad pr !!!

I don't think its deserving of a tv exclusive and I hardly think that Greenhalls will be quaking in their boots with fear of being exposed to the whole world by Warrington.tv to be frank. The problem is that the college can not cater for the amount of students who now wish /have the means to drive to college. It is not the breweries obligation to provide free parking for the college. I agree it would be very public spirited and I agree that it is a problem but I think you should look to the college for answers before threatening a long established Warrington business. None of us know what plans if any Greenhalls have for the land but they do and have for a great many years provided employment to this town which at the moment is a very valuable commodity.

Indy, why do you think that a private landowner should provide free parking to college students, instead of the college itself doing so?

Why do you, as a journalist, think that this story is about Greenhalls - rather than about the college's failings?

Surely it's the college which has a duty to it's users, especially lone females returning to their cars on dark nights etc., etc.

The words brewery and petty come to mind here, they have been more than happy to turn a blind eye to the parking issue for sometime, but all of a sudden they change their minds ... a token agreement with the college could resolve this ... ( a small charge was mentioned )

but if you represent the public view as to Greenalls actions then i feel sorry for the students .... i bet the next move is double yellow lines along the roads around the college, then parking tickets followed by clamping .........

This country never ceases to amaze me with the money for everything attitude.

So you feel this issue is all the fault of the brewery and the college and the students are without fault? The students were parking on private land without permission for some time. The owner of the land decided enough was enough for whatever reason. That is their perogative and you do not know what the future plans for the land may be. The college should provide parking facilities or the students should either find another mode of transport or somewhere else to park, preferably legally and with the land owners permission this time. As i have already said, I agree that this is a problem but I personally feel you are aiming your threats at the wrong party.

I'm sure that Greenalls pay adequate taxes that enable the students to enjoy this free education they are getting?

Greenalls have no obligation to subsidise car parking for students. An education in the ways of the world me thinks; if you drive a car you get penalised. Double yellow lines would stop them parking on the roads and thus blocking access which would then put the onus back onto the college who should provide adequate parking for their "customers" either that or get onto WBC to put more buses on at peak student times (like 10:30 am and about 2pm!!)

.... and don't feel sorry for the students Indy, maybe they should trade in their planet killing cars and get bikes instead.... altogether more environment friendly and healthier too! :wink:

Having arrived home after a quick scoop, not Greenalls, I think this thread is a total nonsense. Greenalls have every right to do what they want with their land.

This is a big story and one that will be of public emotion and interest ....... it deserves a tv exclusive ....

What pompous one eyed claptrap is that? :roll:

Indy... that's not like you. Never known you to loose your rag on a topic that isn't related to the romans or history and even then I don't recall you ever getting so ratty. :shock:

You're not a student again are you :lol:

Beats me how students can afford cars anyway :shock:

Sorry Indie but I agree with the other comments and can't see why you are having such a go at Greenalls about what they do with their own land (which is up for development anyway isn't it).

Like already mentioned it's not Greenalls fault the college does not have sufficient parking facilities to cope. Maybe this sort of thing should have been looked into prior to the college expanding etc :wink:

As a current student at Priestley, it is a very, very well run College however I do not understand how the College had seemingly not forseen the problem with parking when they spent a huge amount of money on the new building. I get the impression that as soon as the building was opened, senior staff at the College were genuinally taken aback at the students issue with parking.

Students have been parking in the Greenalls land for a year now and only now have Greenalls expressed any issue with it. From what I understand, a few months ago an application to buy the land was made but rejected and like a previous poster has stated, it is highly probable that the land will just remain empty and not in use.

From what I understand, a few months ago an application to buy the land was made but rejected and like a previous poster has stated, it is highly probable that the land will just remain empty and not in use.

Just because it isn't in use doesn't mean anyone can park on there though does it? Just because nothing was said for a while doesn't make it right.

Maybe a park and ride scheme for students might work?

WOW.

Have you all got shares in Greenall's???

My point was that as there is a need for parking, and not all students travel by bus, this area could have been used for the overspill of cars and not cause any problems.

The land was for sale but seems to have been taken off the market due to the current financial restraints.

This company might have brought employment to the area, but perhaps people should talk to some of the locals to find out just what sort of attitude the company has in the area.

As for the parking issue, how would Priestley know that there would be a sudden increase in student car ownership?

And yes, Indie is right. It is a public interest issue.

It is time that people/companies got more community-minded.

Far better to have students parking there than to let it become another Warrington wasteland or maybe a gypsy site. :roll:

. It is not the breweries obligation to provide free parking for the college. I agree it would be very public spirited and I agree that it is a problem but I think you should look to the college for answers before threatening a long established Warrington business.
100% spot on PJ. Talk about targetting the innocent. I have to ask what on earth Indy hopes to gain by exposing one local business for not providing free parking for students on their property? Will he be doing likewise across the whole town for every other premises that has their own car park?

As Presenter and Producer of Warrington.tv, aren't you taking an incredibly biased line here? Seems to be that rather than considering Greenall's side at all, you have weighed in firmly on your son's side for no other reason than nepotism.

As for the parking issue, how would Priestley know that there would be a sudden increase in student car ownership?

indeed. But then why should it then become more of a responsibiltiy for Greenalls rather than Priestley?

And yes, Indie is right. It is a public interest issue.

It is time that people/companies got more community-minded.

I agree with the sentiment, shame that his own public spiritedness has been prompted by his family being inconvenienced. I wonder how much highlighting he would have done if his son was at college elsewhere?