Classical Co-op slammed by Lib/Dems

Geoffrey Settle

My local Co-op at Fearnhead is playing Classical Music outside it's store in an effort to discourage groups of teenagers from congregating outside and intimidating their customers.

They appear to be having a lot of success. I went down last night to pick up some last minute shopping in the hope that I would hear some of my favourite tunes. The entrance to the shop was clear and their were no groups of teenagers. The music is only played when there is a group of teenagers outside the shop or in the morning before school and during lunchtime.

It's not necessarily the teenagers fault, they are only meeting up with friends and fooling around. But having to walk through them as they block off the access to the shop and the Bank machine is a very uncomfortable feeling for many shoppers and staff.

Rather than support this initiative Councillor Scott Wilson (Lib/Dem)told a local journalist 'Wouldn't they [the Co-op] be better off putting some of the money into youth provision in the area instead of moving them on outside somebody else's shop?'... 'The Co-op is a multi-million pound organisation so why doesn't it help the youth instead of hindering them?'

Well in 2007 I've found a quote to a question about the ?1 million that they raised in 6 months for their favorite charity.

How did The Co-operative raise ?1 million in so little time?

Sarah Galligan, Client Relationship Director at The Children's Society, explains that the success is owed to employees within the different businesses, who have run their individual fundraising events. "It's been local people working in their own communities that have raised the money by holding car washes, balls, golf days and collecting donations at local stores."

It seems that not only are they inventive they are also doing quite a lot for our youngsters.

Do you not think it is also because they have not been taught how to respect other people by their parents?

I remember the times when I've moved them on after they have been throwing stones etc on the community centre roof and they look at you with this blank expression as if you are ruining their favorite game?

Sounds a great idea Geoff - do they do requests?! :wink:

Who? The Coop or the teenagers? ("Hey mate, can you throw some stones on my roof instead!!")

As for knuckle dragging intimidating teenagers; yes they should be moved on.... on to the nearest detention centre so they can't intimidate anyone for a while.

Obs unfortunately the Classical music is only played outside.

I'm sure that they have their own in-house music inside the store.

Another good thing about the Co-op is that they are a very responsible seller of alcohol.

I joined the Police and Trading Standards team one evening just over a year ago and the Co-op just like the off-licence next door passed the test, they challenged anyone who was or looked under the age of 18.

Unfortunatley this doesn't stop groups of teenagers from congrugating outside. They are clearly hoping that an adult will make a purchase on their behalf.

I hope the adult realises that just like the shop they too can be prosceuted.

Geoff, you are really plumbing the depths in your haste for political point scoring. Why should any party support this initiative that moves the unwanted onto someone else's doorstep.

The CO-OP (and you) are looking to rid themselves of a problem, the politician has noted the wider issue.

Geoff, you are really plumbing the depths in your haste for political point scoring. Why should any party support this initiative that moves the unwanted onto someone else's doorstep.

The CO-OP (and you) are looking to rid themselves of a problem, the politician has noted the wider issue.

The problem has been an issue for a long time and it is the customers and staff who have been suffering. I believe that people should be able to shop when and where they like and not have entrances blocked by groups of youths.

All the CO-OP are doing is making it uncool to congregate outside their shop and cash machine. I hope you'd agree that you should have some privacy when you are withdrawing money. I for one don't like people looking over my shoulder.

The politician as you point out has noted the wider issue and stated a year ago that

"I haven't got the answer to how we are going to control the youths.

Well the CO-OP have implemented a simple solution and one that should be supported not criticised. Afterall they are trying to provide a service for local people.

Geoff,

I visit the buttie shop most Tuesdays and Thursdays, and their are a "lot" of school kids hanging around. They are NOT intimidating, are polite and move out of the way. They do NOT hang around the cash machines.

Perhaps YOU need to get down there and check it out.

YOU do seem to be on a political mission these days. I am surprised as there are no elections due yet. :?

If the co-op store is playing external classical music and the teens aren't causing any trouble then what's the problem and why are some saying it's a waste of time :roll: Wether it's either working or wether there wasn't actually a problem in the first place does it actually matter as long as there is no trouble round there.

On a similar note I dared to go into the new Golden Square car park on friday :shock: and they seem to have a new sound system in there too. Music was blaring out from speakers at the entrance and also from within the main parking areas. Maybe the kids should go over there as it was rather 'rocky'.... :lol:

Wonder who's idea that was and why ?

Geoff,

I visit the buttie shop most Tuesdays and Thursdays, and their are a "lot" of school kids hanging around. They are NOT intimidating, are polite and move out of the way. They do NOT hang around the cash machines.

YOU do seem to be on a political mission these days. I am surprised as there are no elections due yet. :?

Pete I'm glad that you are enjoying your butties but I'm afraid that your views about feeling intimidated aren't shared by the Co-op and their customers.

The shop entrance and the cash machine are as you very well know are within a couple of steps of each other!

I don't need to check it out as I have use the shop for the last 25 years.

Finally I thought that this section was the Political section and open to anyone who wants to discuss political issues?

so now we have the solution to problem teenagers in the area. when they turn up get out the ghetto blaster and treat them to some Schubert or Beethoven. if everybody did this just think of the benefits. the teens would get an appreciation for classical music. the area would be clear of any nuisance and the teens would be fitter as well, having to walk from area to area to get some peace.

so two plans in one. anti anti social behaviour solved and obesity solved. by eck lad your a genious :oops::twisted:

Geoff,

Pete I'm glad that you are enjoying your butties but I'm afraid that your views about feeling intimidated aren't shared by the Co-op and their customers.

The shop entrance and the cash machine are as you very well know are within a couple of steps of each other!

I don't need to check it out as I have use the shop for the last 25 years.

Finally I thought that this section was the Political section and open to anyone who wants to discuss political issues?

WHY is it political? IF it is, perhaps you should be speaking to your Labour Masters who helped to create these problems.

I would have thought that it was more of a "Social" issue, whereby adults and youths need educating on integration.

In cases such as this, I always wonder what these complaining adults did when they were young?

They didn't have their needs pampered to with "activities". In the past there WAS nothing to do. :roll:

WHY is it political?

In cases such as this, I always wonder what these complaining adults did when they were young?

They didn't have their needs pampered to with "activities". In the past there WAS nothing to do. :roll:

Firstly putting it under the political section is appropriate as the issue involves a Borough Councillor despite what you think about them.

And 2ndly I think that it is every shopkeepers right to try and make their customers shoppng experience as pleasant as possible. Everyone is not as robust as you are but then you know that through your voluntary work don't you?

• 1 month later...

Good to read today that the Co-op are investing yet again in their premises at Fearnhead and improving the shop front by making it easier to gain access. Their proposal has to get planning approval.

I just hope that Clr Wilson does try and put the mockers on this initiative :oops:

I wish the Co-op all the best.