Hopes for 2009

Gary

The countdown to the new season is now less than a month away with Warrington's Super League season kicking off away at St Helens on Friday the 13th - although recent form at Knowsley Road has resulted in some heart breaking defeats I can remember some real horror shows over the years.

Lets hope it proves to be a lucky 13 for Warrington because they are certainly due some luck against Saints.

But I don't think I will be able to cope if Warrington have something like a four point lead going into the last minute with Saints having six tackles to go from their own line!!! :roll:

I've given up expecting the Wire to be in the silverware long ago. Bigging them up pre-season and then letting the fans down is almost routine now, but there's one thing puzzling me and that's the fixture against Hull KR two weeks before the big day. After playing the kids on Boxing Day the intention is to field the first team in this one. What's the point ? If the players don't know one another's play now they never will. They've been training for weeks and of course are now full time. The opening game is a key game for the rest of the season,especially considering the opposition. If the Wire start the game with an injury weakened team due to a meaningless friendly it's rank bad management.

Pessimism is a pre-requisite for being a Wire fan. Morrisey could be Peter Kay next to an average Wire fan. After decades of disappointments it's the norm not to expect owt. Orthapaedic departments of local hospitals are rubbing their hands at the prospect of another RL season. Wire provide a conveyor belt of prospective customers for them. Take a look at the playing roster...there's not many of them who've gone even a few weeks without injury. We're a team of crocks, yet we're still arranging pointless friendlies on the eve of a new season. It couldn't be greed for a good gate money day ? Surely not.

Pessimism is a pre-requisite for being a Wire fan. Morrisey could be Peter Kay next to an average Wire fan. After decades of disappointments it's the norm not to expect owt. Orthapaedic departments of local hospitals are rubbing their hands at the prospect of another RL season. Wire provide a conveyor belt of prospective customers for them. Take a look at the playing roster...there's not many of them who've gone even a few weeks without injury. We're a team of crocks, yet we're still arranging pointless friendlies on the eve of a new season. It couldn't be greed for a good gate money day ? Surely not.

Your damned if you do - your damned if you don't!

If they didn't put a full team out in a pre-season friendly and then lost the first competitive game, people would moan saying the team wasn't match fit and hadn't prepared properly.

Match fitness is the key to winning most games - as well as your fair share of lady luck!

You will find nearly all clubs play pre-season friendlies to get match fit.