Prince Harry and all that

Horace

Actually, I DO find the word "Brit" offensive. Not particularly because I think it is racist - I just dislike it for some reason I can't quite explain. Perhaps it is because I am not keen on abbreviations at all. Every time I hear some student say they are going "uni" I cringe and think to myself: "They shouldn't be going to university at all."

Actually, I DO find the word "Brit" offensive. Not particularly because I think it is racist - I just dislike it for some reason I can't quite explain. Perhaps it is because I am not keen on abbreviations at all. Every time I hear some student say they are going "uni" I cringe and think to myself: "They shouldn't be going to university at all."

but what about abbreviations such as "can't " or "shouldn't"... are they too not abbreviations? :D

Normally, the tabloid press relish the idea of having a go at the absurdities of this current PC society, ready at the drop of a hat to promote "nationalism" (remember the "argies" during the Falklands War); then some creep hands them a 3 year old private video from a Royal, and they go into sanctomonious PC mode - all of which is merely intended to sell papers - don't buy 'em. :twisted: As for the alleged offence - those who scream "racism" don't seem to know the difference between race, religion or nationality. :roll::wink:

Regardless of whether or not the friend of Harry's found it offensive, it goes without saying that he should have known far better than to say it. It does to an extent seem strange that the word is still deemed racist as Pakistani's such as a good friend of mine, regularly use the word. He constantly tells me he'd wouldn't mind at all if I used the word but I still wouldn't dare.

Me and my mate were discussing this today and we came up with quite a good Monty Python-esque sketch featuring our soldiers in the front line in Afghanistan engaged in heavy battle and firing at the enemy with everthing they have got...... when one of the soldiers happens to shout out "take that raghead!" while firing his machine gun at an enemy stronghold......

Suddenly, all of his fellow soldiers stop firing and stare at him open mouthed and shaking their heads.... then on comes the tall, bowler hat wearing Clease like character shouting something like "OK...stop....stop..... sorry sonny, you can't say that" "Stand up and go and apologise to the enemy immediately!!".....

I think it would work!

Surely it's the context that the word is used that decides whether was meant to be insulting or not (and it this case it was clearly not)? And how is it that certain words can be used within their own culture and not be taken as offensive (the P word and N word spring to mind) but if used by a white person it is seen as racist?

Various persons from both sides of the argument have been quoted in the media including the usual experts with careers depending on their views.

One stands out from Abdul Rahim the boss of Pak 1 clothes."I can see why many people are upset but the fuss he caused shows the unbelievable power of the word. Geordie from Newcastle, Tajiks come from Tajikistan, Afghanis from Afghanistan, so why shouldn't Pakis come from Pakistan.

MY philosophy is that the power should be taken from the word and we should reclaim it for everyday useage"

It's time also, that the UK decided once and for all on a single cultural identity, instead of encouraging social discord by the maintainance of the idea of a multi-ethnic society. :shock: Ironically, the main parties support for multi-ethnicity is one thing they have in common with the BNP, who believe in "seperate" development and a form of segregation. :shock: Time we got over this, and proclaimed ourselves as one Nation, one Culture, one society - irrespective of creed or colour. :wink:

It goes to show how out of touch the Royal family are with the public and why so many people have little time for them.

What a load of biased codswallop.

How are they out of touch? and who are the people who have little time for them?

PS, Is your father in the medical profession? :?

First Harry, and now Charles :roll:

http://news.uk.msn.com/uk/article.aspx?cp-documentid=12748798

It goes to show how out of touch the Royal family are with the public and why so many people have little time for them.

I would say your sanctimonious tone shows how out of touch you are.

Most of the silent majority are fed up of this sort of trivial nonsense being held up as some sort of example of what a bad lot we are by the likes of Darcus Howe and his ilk, who are more racist than those they continually decry.

They are apparently friends Jonathan so what's the problem with a friendly long standing nickname that it would seem has caused no annoynace to the recipient ... :roll:

....the main problem seems to be yet another so called friend who has obviously spilt the beans about the aged nickname in the hope of getting a few quid from the press :evil:

Jonathan your really need to get out more and understand how friendships work :lol:

What a load of biased codswallop.

How are they out of touch? and who are the people who have little time for them?

PS, Is your father in the medical profession? :?

I retract my first comment comment though the number of those against the monarchy is arguably continuing to increase. I though am not against the Royals and feel the 'Republic' group claim the Royals are racist is nonsense. In todays society it is deemed totally unacceptable for someone in the public eye to make comments which may offend a certain race or religion. I'm sure that regardless of whether we like it or not, the media bandwagon will continue to increase. I feel the media are right to make a big deal out of incidents such as this one as nowadays, you cannot honestly expect to get away with such comments.

With regards to your latter question, I knew it wouldn't be long before I was asked that! :roll: He is yes BUT, any opinion I express in this forum is that of my own.

They are apparently friends Jonathan so what's the problem with a friendly long standing nickname that it would seem has caused no annoynace to the recipient ... :roll:

Jonathan your really need to get out more and understand how

friendships work :lol:

:roll: I've got a good number of friends and like I've already mentioned in a previous post of mine in this thread, one of my close friends is of Pakistani origin and he regularly uses a word deemed racist when used by Whites, to talk about those from his culture. He often insists that if I said the word he wouldn't take any offence but thats not the point. The point is that a large proportion of the public are careful not to use those sorts of terms for fear of getting into trouble, and rightly so.

I feel the media are right to make a big deal out of incidents such as this one

No they aren't.

Jonno, you would have retained a small degree of credibility if you had stuck to your misguided guns. The fact that you retracted your first comment suggests that you are an "attention seeking wassock".