Good Idea /bad Idea (2)

Bill

Just saw another item on the news this morning that really wound me up. Apparently in some parts of the country (especially London) where parking is a big issue, people are being fined for parking across dropped curbs that give access to people?s homes. The situation is made worse due to people actually choosing to park across their own drives to prevent others blocking access to their then empty drive.

The people doing this claim they have to, to prevent themselves from being blocked in and also that they shouldn?t be fined for blocking their own drive. What a totally crazy situation! :roll:

Now here?s the really silly thing, the AA while trying to appear on the side of the motorist have come up with the idea that every home with a dropped curb should have white lines painted across them so that people will then know they should park there. What a total load of old tosh! Everyone knows blocking someone?s drive is a big no no, so why go through all the effort and expense of painting lines that will only wear out or get obscured, thus allowing people to claim they aren?t legal?

There has to be an answer somewhere, but I doubt anything can be done without making changes to the laws that currently don?t seem to be working.

Bill :)

well if it is a big issue Bill, you can guarantee that Gordon will chuck plenty of public money at it to try (unsucessfully of course) to sort it!

People park across my mums dropped kerb/drive all the time but she doesn't own a car and hasn't had use of one for over 16 years since my dad died. Should she have white lines to stop people parking across her gates I wonder??

I park across the gates myself as my car is too wide to go through!

Would have thought that a little bit of common sense, politeness and respect for others would tell such idiotic drivers (or should I say 'parkers') that parking across a dropped kerb which acesses someone elses driveway is causing an obstruction :roll:

Painting white lines across all dropped kerbs/driveways will not only be very costly but will also mean that people can't park across their OWN/FAMILIES/FRIENDS drives either if they are visiting....

You are right Bill it is all crazy and a load of tosh but it must be really annoying for those who find their driveways blocked.

Can't think of a solution which meets all possible circumstances though other than accidentally :wink: reversing down your drive into the offending vehicle with your large removable :wink: protruding tow bar :lol:

It's a tricky on eh :?

I?ve done a bit of reading up on other forums on this and I?m amazed at some people?s attitude to the problem.

While most agree it?s just common sense and decency not to block someone?s drive, the ?Are but?s? of this world argue; ?Are but, according to the law, it?s only illegal to block someone in and it?s not illegal to block an empty drive!? :?

Some claim that dropped curbs are unfair as they just make unusable parking space while others even argue the toss about the legality of having the car wheels encroach on a dropped curb as they believe it?s classed as pavement parking. :roll:

I?m sure that if it wasn?t for the ?Are buts? of this world, the problem could be more easily resolved.

Bill :)