Good Idea or Bad Idea?

Bill

Saw on the news today reports about a device that if fitted to a car would automatically detect the speed limit and reduce the speed of the car accordingly. The report said that the devices, which are available now, would prevent people from getting speeding tickets and also reduce road fatalities.

Opponents of the system claimed such a device would create a zombie like style of driving that may well end up being more harmful. :roll:

Bill :)

Can the device be over-ridden?? I don't think I'd like to rely on my car actually braking for me :shock: Never really trusted 'thinking' technology and mechanical 'brains'. Sat Navs alert you if you are going over the limit by a constant beep which is useful although somwhat annoying when 'it' thinks the road is a 30 but it's actually a 40 etc.

I'd be happy to have something that ensures that at all times I am not going over the speed limit. I'm a careful driver but someimes it is easy to creep a little over for a short while without realising....... would be useful when driving in Wales though as it would mean that drivers could keep their eyes on the road rather than glued their speedometers :wink:

It can be over-ridden. A little red button in the steering wheel.

Also like most things, it would be optional, which defeats the object in my opinion.

I think they should be compulsory in built-up areas. Either that or give me a gun version whereby I can stand on the side of Knutsford Rd and zap the idiots who IGNORE the law. I would also like a ray gun that can transport idiots who deliberately block junctions back to their starting point. They might then get the message of more haste and less speed.

A bit like ID cards where the law breakers won't have one. :shock::shock:

Peter..... I see your point :shock: If it can be overridden then you are right in the fact that those who believe that are beyond the law will just continue in their usual irresponsible driving fashion. :evil:

What really gets to me is HOW these idiots manage to keep their licences especially the younger ones with the boom boom boxes which in my opinion increase their speed as they drive to the fast beat :roll: Perhaps they would benefit from 'flashing' buttons on their steering wheel that keep to the beet if they keep their speed within the limit :wink:

PS.... I'd like to borrow a 'stinger' for our road if anyone has one :wink:

You mean you have never ever accidentally crept upto 35mph without actually noticing for a minute or so. I don't believe you :shock: It's easily done especially if you are going downhill for example :shock:

Mine has a lever on the steering column which when you press the end and set the speed limits the speed to whatever you set it to. No matter how hard you press the pedal down it will not go over the limit set. Good on roads like Knutsford Road. Pull the lever towards you and it is in cruise control mode so it stays at a given speed unless you accelerate a bit.

Damned clever these Germans!

The Mercedes idea Baz describes is a good idea, I think only available with an automatic on a Mercecedes.

I regularly use the cruise control on my Audi ( manual transmission), on long stretches of 30/40/50/60/70 mph road, find it very useful, I can also set a warning sound to activate when I go over a certain speed.

Head up speed display would be a good addition, think it is already available on some cars.

Psychologically not having speedometers that read 160 mph etc might help.

A better idea, would be to have the device fitted on ALL vehicles, and have "trigger posts" every 75 yards in Residential areas. The "I don't care drivers" would soon get fed up having their vehicle slowed so frequently.

I like the sound of that..... :lol:

Just to make it worse for the idiots their cars could also have an automatic loud external audible alarm and automatic flashing of all lights once they exceed the limit to alert others by shouting ' Warning... Warning.. Vehicles mechanical brain taking over as the human To**er at the wheel is once again speeding and putting your life at risk '

A better idea, would be to have the device fitted on ALL vehicles, and have "trigger posts" every 75 yards in Residential areas. The "I don't care drivers" would soon get fed up having their vehicle slowed so frequently.

I like the sound of that..... :lol:

Just to make it worse for the idiots their cars could also have an automatic loud external audible alarm and automatic flashing of all lights once they exceed the limit to alert others by shouting ' Warning... Warning.. Vehicles mechanical brain taking over as the human To**er at the wheel is once again speeding and putting your life at risk '

:lol::lol::lol::lol: