Transfer from Borough to Parish?

Geoffrey Settle

Paul,

Why do you think that Parish Councillors can?t make decisions ? they have a chair who should be guiding them?

As I understand it the Parish Clerk plays an important role. He/she is an impartial confident, advises on procedures and protocol, looks after the administration, minutes & correspondence and in the case of Grappenhall oversees the excellent Walled Garden. Plus they get paid for the responsibility.

They do not take key decisions outside this remit unless they are a clerk to a weak Parish Council, are you suggesting that is the case where you live?

You may be right observer, but just over a year ago WBC totally ignored my local PC and didn?t even inform them of a planning application. They were very liberal with matters and the large new build went ahead and no consideration was given to any objections. I believe that the Clerk did write and threaten proceedings but these were effectively ignored.

The Borough council would help Parishes if they stopped scheduling other meetings which coincide with Parish meetings. There are only ten of these per year but invariably Borough Councillors miss the Parish meetings as they have to attend something else. I think most Parish Councils have Borough Councillors as members.

OR, more different folk were encouraged to perform this civic task by empowering both Parishes and Districts; and given the need for checks and balances, it may not help to serve on both as it could involve a conflict of interest. :shock:

Agreed Obs, I know of individuals who are on Parish and Borough councils, Residents Association commitees, school Boards of Governors, and any number of other bodies.

While I appreciate these people's level of commitment to the community, I think that more effort should be made to involve different people. To an ordinary resident it can seem to be almost impossible to break into the "closed shop" and get involved with some of these bodies.

Councillor's make sure they have control of these things, otherwise the peasants would take over and ask awkward questions.

Several Forums that were politically led, fell by the wayside because of this.

How can people get things done when everything is "controlled" by cllrs? (If you let them) :roll:

The problem is Peter, as you should have learnt; that empowerment requires funding, and without funding such things become talking shops, without outcomes. :shock: IF devolution was seriously implimented - right down to Parish/Community Councils and the funding went with it, maybe voters would take it more seriously and more folk would engage with the civic/political process. :roll: Sadly, forums were used as political sniping platforms by oppositions and monopolised as support centres by incumbants; and were a taster for the world of expense claiming for some. :shock: Perhaps civic office should be treated like Jury Service and made compulsory with a finite period of office? :shock::wink:

Inky Pete,

One position you could try is standing as a School Governor - you can be a Parent Governor or a co-opted Governor.

There will be a check to make sure that you don't appear on List 99.

As far as I'm aware it is not compulsory yet for a CRB check which I believe is in line with councillor posts. I'd like to see CRB checks for Governor and Council positions but it is NOT Warrington policy.

I'm sure that there will be a school near you that would welcome your contribution, skills and experience. Just call in and ask.

You could also stand as an Independent for either a Parish or Borough election and win your seat on merit without any party ties. You?d have to come up with original ideas so plenty of scope. It wouldn?t be easy but it has been done.

Sadly, forums were used as political sniping platforms by oppositions and monopolised as support centres by incumbants; and were a taster for the world of expense claiming for some. :shock:

I would suggest that was politically led forums.

Latchford certainly wasn't political although some cllrs tried to make it so. And it still is non-political and still going.

One position you could try is standing as a School Governor - you can be a Parent Governor or a co-opted Governor.

As a non parent, the only interest I have in education is to minimise what other peoples kids cost me!!

As far as I'm aware it is not compulsory yet for a CRB check which I believe is in line with councillor posts. I'd like to see CRB checks for Governor and Council positions but it is NOT Warrington policy.

As an aside, I'm interested to know why you think that someone with a relatively minor conviction from, say, 20 years ago when they were young and stupid would be unsuitable for any kind of public service for life.

You could also stand as an Independent for either a Parish or Borough election and win your seat on merit without any party ties.

I don't want to jump on the gravy train and stick my own nose in the trough, but I do think there are lots of people in the community with something to give who are simply not being asked.

For example, a couple of years ago my local Parish council decided that some metal railings in the village needed re-painting. So they made applications for funding to various bodies, they followed the whole paper chase through and when funding was eventually secured they put the job out to tender. It took the best part of a year, but a firm from well outside the area was employed and paid THOUSANDS to paint the railings.

Me, I'd have bought a tin of Hammerite, a couple of brushes, and asked around for a number of local volunteers.

As an aside, I'm interested to know why you think that someone with a relatively minor conviction from, say, 20 years ago when they were young and stupid would be unsuitable for any kind of public service for life. :wink:

I didn?t write that ? but I am in favour of CRB checks as they are one way of filtering out people who may need to explain why they an item on one or several items under one of the following headings:

. Police Record of Convictions, Reprimands and Final Warnings;

. Information from the list held under Section 142 of the Education Act 2002;

. Protection of Children Act List information;

. Protection of Vulnerable Adults List Information; or

. Other relevant information disclosed at the Chief Officer(s) discretion.

This information is confidential and all recipients must keep it secure ?.etc

Obviously there may be things that aren?t there but I think that it is a start and one way or protecting the vulnerable members of our society.

On the issue giving to the community, I don?t see why you simply couldn?t have saved your Parish Council all that expense and painted the railing yourself. Why do you need to be asked?

You could have submitted a request to the probation service for help and assistance. Many of the WWW forum members will remember the late Labour Clr Mick Curran who got an immense amount of work done very successfully throughout Poulton with Fearnhead. His actions were down to hard work, assistance from some great community and probation workers and members of his party. I never saw any gravy on his lips only those dam cigarrettes.

I wouldn't have thought so, I met a new Santa yesterday who had just received clearance and was looking forward to bringing some cheer.

It is strange that Santas are checked but councillors are not.

It's not just the vulnerable who need protection what about the rate payers.

We should be protected from people who have been involved in financial irregularities or drug offences to name but two. Surely if they want the job then they won't mind a few direct questions if some old minor offences appears on the check.

Obviously the ones that they got away with won?t be highlighted but the ones that they nearly did will.

If they have changed and they really want to show that by helping the community then they should be given a chance to explain to their prospective employer.

I have never objected to CRB checks for the Voluntary work that I do for WBC and other organisations and I always find it strange for those with a liberal point of view who object. I don?t for example think that it is an infringement on my civil liberties.

What are you suggesting Geoff. :wink:

Talking of the L/Ds you have to laugh. There are two Parish By-Elections in Penketh this coming Thursday, from the leaflet I've seen, it seems they don't know which Wards their candidates are standing in. Surprised they even know where Penketh is, one lives in Latchford West, the other in Bewsey. :wink::D