Slow Cooker help please

Dizzy

Anyone got any tried, tested and yummy recipies for a Slow Cooker ?.. with instructions :oops:

I'm no good at cooking, probably cos I find it boring but at least I'm trying.

I'm told with my new slow cooker I wont have to stand by the hob for ages incase of forget to turn it down or stir it occasionally to stop it all drying up or burning :lol::oops:

Also any tips for slow cookers such as

1 do you have to brown your meat first ?

2 how much liquid do you have to put in ?

3 does everything all go in it at the same time ?

4 do I still have to stir it ?

5 how come the 'not so helpful' booklet just says normal cooking time is 7 - 8 hours... how do they know what I am cooking :?

Depends on what you are cooking. If it is a stew or roast, just stick it in ther with enough water to cover everything , add your spices and plug it in. 8 to 10 hours later you have really great food. IF you want it sooner - put it on high for an hour or so then turn it down.

A Great Pork Roast is:

1 large onion, sliced

2 1/2 pounds boneless pork loin roast

1 cup hot water

1/4 cup white sugar

3 tablespoons red wine vinegar

2 tablespoons soy sauce

1 tablespoon ketchup

1/2 teaspoon black pepper

1/2 teaspoon salt

1/4 teaspoon garlic powder

1 dash hot pepper sauce, or to taste

DIRECTIONS

Arrange onion slices evenly over the bottom of the slow cooker, and then place the roast on top of the onion. In a bowl, mix together water, sugar, vinegar, soy sauce, ketchup, black pepper, salt, garlic powder, and hot sauce; pour over roast.

Cover, and cook on Low for 6 to 8 hours, or on High for 3 to 4 hours.

Go to here for more good recipies http://allrecipes.com/Recipes/Main-Dish/Slow-Cooker/Main.aspx

Seal meat first in a frying pan: ensure water covers contents of your casserole: on low - and leave it all day - I think! :wink:

Meat sealed as suggested but I had a bit of trouble with my stock obs :shock: I finished up with twice as much liquid as I originally put in and it lost it's flavour cos of the cooking process and steam turning to added water :shock: A few additional vegies and flavourings at the last minute boiled in a pan, drained and thrown seemed to sort it out :?

We live and learn eh :lol:

Well so far I've done hot pot, chilli and chicken 'something or other' and my family are worrying about me :lol:

Mary.... thanks I'll try your suggestion next it sounds yummy :D

Sorry DIZ, I'm not familiar with this "slow cooker", I use an old fashioned oven on very low - the meat has to be just covered, as you can't risk it drying out. :shock: Braised steak is IMO better than fillet when done this way, with ample portions of garlic, onion, mushrooms and veg. :wink:

I just chuck everything in in the morning, no liquid, and leave it until I come home in the evening.....sorted. What you mustn't do is keep taking the lid off to have a look. With a stew, you sometimes find the veg come out a little hard, so cut them on the thin side. Cheap cuts of beef (brisket)are really tender after 8 hours of slow cooking.

A disturbing number of men admitting knowledge of cookery here!

Dismayed - did your new slow cooker not come with a recipe book. Ours (which we have had for some years) had an excellent recipe book and instructions and my good lady found it excellent - particularly for preparing a meal in advance and leaving it to cook all day while we were out.

Mary

I fear you have picked an unfortunate time to recommend a pork recipe.

We are being warned of contaminated pork from Ireland, much of which may have been imported to the UK, so doubtless pork will be off the menu in many homes at the moment!

Sounds a good recipe though!

Sorry DIZ, I'm not familiar with this "slow cooker", I use an old fashioned oven on very low - the meat has to be just covered, as you can't risk it drying out. :shock: Braised steak is IMO better than fillet when done this way, with ample portions of garlic, onion, mushrooms and veg. :wink:

Sounds yummy Obs :D

Never thought of doing it in the oven though :P

Don't spoil my fun... I love my slow cooker and my family are really impressed so far :shock: You really should get one as they are great and are apparently cheeper to run than leaving your oven on all day :wink:

Not figured out the best way to cook a pizza in it yet though :lol::wink:

I just chuck everything in in the morning, no liquid, and leave it until I come home in the evening.....sorted. What you mustn't do is keep taking the lid off to have a look. With a stew, you sometimes find the veg come out a little hard, so cut them on the thin side. Cheap cuts of beef (brisket)are really tender after 8 hours of slow cooking.

What NO liquid at all :shock: no wonder your veggies finish up a little hard. Surely you need at least a little liquid in it to create the steam that creates more liquid in the pot.

My hot pot vegies were perfect but then I am an expert now :lol::lol:

Good suggestion about the cheeper brisket cuts especially with the credit crunch and recession :wink:

Adam, most Chefs are male (allegedly!) :wink:

And so they should be... :wink: can someone please tell my other half :lol:

PS Adam.... no there was no recipe book at all with mine but I suppose that's becasue it was only ?10 (or ?12 if you buy it now that the new vat reduction is in force :?:roll: )

Dismayed, if you go to the BBC website and click on cooking under lifestyles you get a box under recipe search. enter an ingredient ie lamb and click find. you then get a refine search option and one of them is slow cooker.

There were 27 recipes under beef alone so good luck and enjoy your cooking.

Dismayed

?10 for a slow cooker? That sounds like a bargain, even without a recipe book. We got ours years ago and I am sure it was ?50 or ?60 or so, although I can't be sure because as a "hunter gatherer" I take little account of these things.

Observer

It is quite amazing that so many men are chefs. Women are supposed to be better at multi-skilling so they should logically be better at cooking which does require you to be able to do numerous jobs at the same time.

My own cookery career came to an abrupt end many years ago when I attempted to rustle something up with what happened to be in the larder at the time. Since then I have been banned from the kitchen (except for humble washing up duties!)

In theory Adam you should be right; but cooking is IMO an art form, requiring creativity, with the proof of the pudding being in the eating! :wink:

I see it more as putting together a flat pack, you have all the bits(hopefully) and all the instructions to follow.

Experimenting is OK if you are cooking purely for yourself.

But if you are going to inflict it on others...well, that's rather different.

Art form? No, I don't think so. In fact it is since certain chefs got ideas above their station and started thinking in terms of "art" that things started to go badly wrong.

Posh nosh is what some call it - and I'd go miles to avoid it!