Police to receive 10,000 Taser guns

Mary

Specially trained officers will be able to use the 50,000-volt weapons when faced with the threat of serious violence, the Home Office said.

But critics warned the weapons were "potentially lethal" and called for a review of the decision.

Oliver Sprague, Amnesty International's UK's arms programme director, said the use of the guns should be restricted to "life threatening" or "very dangerous" situations.

The group said 300 people have died after being shot with Tasers in the US and Canada, where their use is more widespread.

Home Secretary Jacqui Smith said she wanted to give police officers the tools to confront dangerous people. She said: "I am proud that we have one of the few police services around the world that do not regularly carry firearms and I want to keep it that way.

"But every day the police put themselves in danger to protect us, the public. They deserve our support, so I want to give the police the tools they tell me they need to confront dangerous people.

Tasers deliver powerful electric shocks up to 10 metres away, leaving targets incapacitated and easier to arrest. Last year non-firearms officers were given the weapons for the first time. The Home Office trial with 10 forces found the threat of being Tasered was often enough to stop a violent incident.

Tasers were deployed on more than 600 occasions in the past year but only used 93 times, ministers said. The new weapons will be given to all 43 forces in England and Wales.

There Ya Go Lola! 8)

All on the beat policeman have a tazer and yes they work - the only way it can kill is 1) a major heart defect or 2)Being tazered too many times in a row.

They have killed but in each of those cases that I have read about the person was heavily drugged (PCP) and still kicking and beating someone.

I want one for myself - would beat pepper spray! :wink:

the thing is, in america they were used as a step down from lethal force which is a possiative step...here we do not have lethal force so it is a step towards it.

I have met my fair share of THICK coppers, and over zelouse ones lets face it the desire to be a member of the police usualy stems from ones need to assurt ones authority rather than the few who see it as a career or to uphold the law, you only have to watch those "police in action" type programs that are on every night and despite the presenters trying to sway the comentry to degrade the criminals, most level headed people will see shocking incidents of poor judgement by the police of equal proportions.

the ones who join for the later reasons would always be the good coppers, the others are probably just weirdos who got bullied in school..

in fact only 2 nights ago I saw a man getting tazered 5 times, for DUI...DUI !!! because this power mad copper wanted this guy to lie face down. he was already on the floor probably delirious from drink and tazer and no threat to anyone

in fact here it is http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=0krGMWz7pCo

ok the guy was an a-hole, but does this cop know his medical history, heart condition, was the guy at anypoint a threat or just a typical drunken idiot, who could have been dealt with better.

heres another, quite simply assault by police

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=8FRnh9f1NnU&feature=related

there is a place for them, where the situation dictates...but only the most elite of police should have access to them.

jesus this one is shocking

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=Ck3iNnvnjnk&feature=related