Kenny who?

Adam

I have just heard that Radio 4's archive hour is to feature Kenny Everitt today.

He is said to have changed people's radio listening habits.

He certainly changed mine - he stopped me listening to whatever station he was broadcasting on!

Are they now trying to stop me listening to Radio 4?

I have just heard that Radio 4's archive hour is to feature Kenny Everitt today.

He is said to have changed people's radio listening habits.

He certainly changed mine - he stopped me listening to whatever station he was broadcasting on!

Are they now trying to stop me listening to Radio 4?

So do you feel that Radio 4 should contact you personally and check whether you approve of the content or subject of all their programs, just in case you may not like it? Radio 4 covers such a broad swathe of subject matter that everybody is bound to find something that isn't their cup of tea. I suggest you don't tune in for archive hour and do something you enjoy instead. Perhaps you could moan for an hour on a local forum :wink:

No, PJ, I don't expect Radio 4 to consider me personally. But I am sure the vast majority of Radio 4 listeners do not want to hear the life stories of disc jockeys and pop stars and that seems to be what Radio 4 is increasingly offering on a Saturday morning.

Why can't they put this stuff on Radio 1, where it belongs?

Oh, I can assure you I did switch off and do something else! But that is a listener lost to Radio 4.

Yes, JimmyMac. Radio 4 is a speech programme. But Kenny Everitt surely as a DJ is associated with music, and music (if that is what we must call it!) of the type broadcast by Radio 1. My argument is that Radio 4 listeners want documentaries on serious subjects - even on a Saturday morning.

But Kenny Everitt surely as a DJ is associated with music, and music (if that is what we must call it!) of the type broadcast by Radio 1.

I suspect you haven't listened to the type of music that Radio 1 plays for some time. Admittedly, I stopped listening to it several years ago too - once Mark & Lard moved on to pastures new. It's painful to wake up one morning and discover you've slipped out of the youth demographic and into the cosy world of Radio 2. All the gigs I go to are full of indie parents. Aye carumba.

My argument is that Radio 4 listeners want documentaries on serious subjects - even on a Saturday morning.

Not-all-programs-appeal-to-all-people shocker: Today listenership up in arms. Archers fans grab their rifles and don their wellies. MPs raise the issue at PMQ. Shipping forecast aficionados choke on their cornflakes. The establishment is brought to its knees - how horrid for them all.

JimmyMac

You are right about one thing. I haven't listened to Radio 1 since, er, Radio 1 started. I wouldn't even know where it is on the dial.

As for the "cosy" world of Radio 2, I haven't listened to that for probably 15 years because it began to sound pretty much the same as what I imagine Radio 1 sounds like. If I want to listen to music on radio now it has to be Radio 3 and I live in fear that it too will be dumbed down in an attempt to attract a "younger" audience.

But in fact, I rely on CDs for most of my music these days, most of which I have to buy without listening to them first because they don't get played on ANY radio station.

However, my Radio 4 argument is based on the belief that it is a speech-based station. I agree it cannot cater for all tastes but I can accept most of its output. It is only when it strays into the realms of pop that I object.

I know all about the "off" button - but when there is only one station to listen to, that isn't much of an option.

So please, BBC, put your pop documentaries somewhere else. If you must insist in trying to make a silk purse out of a sow's ear!