Germany v England, 19/11/08 KO: 1945 GMT

Matty

Given the spate of withdrawals and players unavailable, who would you like to see play on Wednesday?

England squad to play Germany: Carson, Robinson, James, Bridge, Davies, Johnson, Terry, Lescott, Mancienne, Richards, Upson, Barry, Carrick, Downing, Bullard, Parker, Wright-Phillips, A Young, Agbonlahor, Bent, Crouch, Defoe, Walcott.

It only becomes meaningless when the manager is unable to pick the team he wants because of the indifference from the well heeled superstars(and their clubs) who then shed crocodile tears when the 'proper' games are lost due to poor preparation.

Exactly Eagle - a meaningless game! :wink:

No Gary, that isn't my point as you well know.

A friendly game against Germany is a step in the England manager's plan to win a trophy for the national team. Given the selfish attitude of the Premiership players and managers he is on a loser.

I would give him credit if he ignores the superstars who fail to turn up due to wallet strain and stick with the ones who have the desire to represent their country. Some of the said superstars don't perform for England anyway.

I will be watching the game because that's what football supporters do.

No Gary, that isn't my point as you well know.

A friendly game against Germany is a step in the England manager's plan to win a trophy for the national team. Given the selfish attitude of the Premiership players and managers he is on a loser.

I would give him credit if he ignores the superstars who fail to turn up due to wallet strain and stick with the ones who have the desire to represent their country. Some of the said superstars don't perform for England anyway.

I will be watching the game because that's what football supporters do.

But Eagle the very fact that the superstars who are on a sicky will be picked for the games which matter, makes the game against Germany pretty meaningless.

It is a shame these meaningless games are televised - it would be much better if people got out of their armchairs and went and supported grass roots local football, which in my opinion can be far more entertaining than some of the top flight soccer we have to endure.

I am still waiting to welcome you down to the field of dreams - Nantwich home this Saturday kick off 3pm in the FA Trophy or Trafford at home in the league tonight kick off 7.45pm - or both! :shock:

it would be much better if people got out of their armchairs and went and supported grass roots local football

Seems like 72000 got out of their armchairs to watch England win. Obviously they didn't consider the game meaningless. :P

Conversely millions of people stay in their armchairs and watch I'm a celebrity but it doesnt make it meaningful T.V. I stopped being interested in England friendlies when they started using 11 subs per game rendering them a joke in my opinion. Sven was the worst culprit to be honest and even though some of the newer caps shone we all know that come a qualifier or World cup game the best we have available will be picked.

How many were England fans?

I feel that football coverage has reached saturation point, and televising games like that makes it a turn-off.

These days, I have it on, but only look at it when the commentator gets excited, as someone might have scored a goal. Reading a book or doing something on the computer is nowadays, much more interesting.

Conversely millions of people stay in their armchairs and watch I'm a celebrity but it doesnt make it meaningful T.V.

It does to them :roll:

No, it makes it entertainment which is what the friendlies are now. A show for corporate numpties to miss the majority of the game as they can't drag themselves away from the free booze. They mean nothing and prove very little of consequence for the national side. Why was this friendly arranged as it was during the season months away from any other proper international fixture? If your answer is anything but to raise money for the F.A.'s concerned you are wide of the mark.

It was a game of footballl and being a football supporter I watched and enjoyed it.....does that make me some sort of freak? I suppose the absence of the poo superman made the game unappealing to the average scouser.

Give it a rest Eagle, it was nothing to do with club football. You really are a one dimensional, one joke clown.

Eagle: definition. used to be a comic whos sole purpose was to entertain young boys. I see your humour is still at the schoolboy level :wink:

You really are a one dimensional, one joke clown.

Eagle: definition. used to be a comic whos sole purpose was to entertain young boys. I see your humour is still at the schoolboy level

Lost argument; definition, when one starts resorting to insults :wink:

Insults are your only topic Wolfie. Every football thread degenerates into an anti scouse topic because of your inane prejudices and those of the rest of your schoolyard gang

So what you are saying is 'If you can't beat 'em then join em' :D

No that's what you said. I raised the point that every football debate on here seems to get hijacked by the same old suspects and turned into a scouse bashing thread. It spoils the thread and is at best "off topic". If this is all you can think of to speak about I think I can help you out. I will start a new thread for yourself and your kindred haters of all things Scouse and from the safety of your anonimity you can utter your bilge to your hearts content like the brave little soldiers you are. :roll: