Sick and disabled out to work!

observer

Like Obs already pointed out people are losing their jobs .

Businesses are closing or struggling to keep open and cutting back in any way they can.

The only benefit for getting the sick and disabled back into work is that they will be taken off 'benefits'.. saving the Government money !!!! :roll:

The threat being used, is that if these "scroungers" fail to go for an interview, their benefit will be reduced. :shock: Errm, no probs; they can go for all the interviews god sends, but as the saying goes, you can take a horse to water, but you can't make it drink - there are umpteen ways to ensure any respectable employer will not employ you - so basically, a non-starter. :roll: Meanwhile, there will be healthy folk queuing for the same jobs, ahead or behind the Poles! :wink:

But will they?

If they are genuine cases, they will have limited ability and not qualify for a "proper" wage, and therefore need Tax Credits.

I think they are just trying to make a name for themselves.

Who :?: The Government or the sick/disabled who are being 'asked' to get back into work :?:

Interesting to read everyone's sympathetic approach to the sick and unemployed - NOT. :(

It's not about lack of symathy Geoff for the sick/disabled/unemployed (well not from me anyway)... it's more to do with being realistic.

Geoff.... be honest....If you were a business owner at the moment would you actually consider employing someone with a medical problem which could possibly result in them being off for weeks, or even months, on end.. while you have to still pay them for not being in or doing any work for you as it is part of your statutory duty... :?:

........or would you opt to employ the healthier/more able/better qualified/willing worker/whatever? who is more likely to an reliable asset to your busniness that may be struggling at the moment?

Sorry if I've offended anyone as I don't meant to.... I'm just saying how I think it is these days and yet I can see it from boths sides :?

But will they?

If they are genuine cases, they will have limited ability and not qualify for a "proper" wage, and therefore need Tax Credits.

I think they are just trying to make a name for themselves.

Who :?: The Government or the sick/disabled who are being 'asked' to get back into work :?:

The Government of course. :roll:

I don't see how being honest is disrespectful. Those with a Disability wouldn't take offence anyway, as it is their sense of humour which gets them through the bad days.

Surely the aim of the approach is to help people who have been sick and are unemployed back into suitable employment, recession or not. However it shouldn't be to the detriment of a business.

If this means helping them to readjust to the work place environment; then that's fine by me. I have worked for local employers who have given this help and assistance so it?s only fair in my view that the state should at last recognise the help that is required from the public sector.

I don't think theres anyone in a wheelchair in my building which employs about 2000 people (this building alone) out of which probably 1,950 including my job does not require fully able people.

So either discrimination against the disabled is rithe, or the disabled simply arnt trying to work.

Either way the government is doing right by trying to tackle this issue.

I find no fault with the principle, but knowing our government the practice will be a shambles.

I don't think theres anyone in a wheelchair in my building which employs about 2000 people (this building alone) out of which probably 1,950 including my job does not require fully able people.

So either discrimination against the disabled is rithe, or the disabled simply arnt trying to work.

Either way the government is doing right by trying to tackle this issue.

I find no fault with the principle, but knowing our government the practice will be a shambles.

Legion I think it's probably because the average employer has thought much about say the mobility aspects of employing people with disabilities.

I must admit that until I met a visually impaired call centre worker I was not very aware of his needs. He was amazing and brought a breath of fresh air into the workplace. Once he had the appropriate software he became of their best performers.

Visually impaired workers, like people in wheel chairs or with walking sticks, need to be able to move around without obstacles in the way. Improving access is not something that is easy for most of us to appreciate.

Getting back to work requires both the efforts of the job centre as well as that of prospective employers. It may be that these employers are missing out on some excellent workers by not having the appropriate environment.

To take observers cynical view that it?s a cost saving exercise and not one of responding to those who do want to return is not a view that I agree with. Having supported people back into work ho have returned from long term sick I believe that they deserve a chance. I?m not saying that it?s easy but employers might be pleasantly surprised.

Excuse ME but there but for the grace of god go ALL of us, what on earth makes people think that those with out illness or disability have less of a right to work over those who dont :x

I think the fight here is fair access and less discrimination, we dont stand a chance with attitudes like this!

EVERYONE has a valuable contribution to make to society, it may be at different levels etc but thats the case anyway, we're all different.

Remember, NONE of us know's whats round the corner, anything could happen to any of us at anytime, wouldn't we want to be treated as being able to make a contribution, and be given the chance to rather than being excluded!!!

I know, I know but give me half a wiff of a sentence about half a wiff of s subject like this and I go off on a rant and off at a tangent......stand by what I say but acknowledge that as very often on here I've posted before reading the post or getting the real jist of it :roll::wink:

Excuse ME but there but for the grace of god go ALL of us, what on earth makes people think that those with out illness or disability have less of a right to work over those who dont :x

I think the fight here is fair access and less discrimination, we dont stand a chance with attitudes like this!

EVERYONE has a valuable contribution to make to society, it may be at different levels etc but thats the case anyway, we're all different.

Remember, NONE of us know's whats round the corner, anything could happen to any of us at anytime, wouldn't we want to be treated as being able to make a contribution, and be given the chance to rather than being excluded!!!

I fully agree with you Tilly - don't be put off by Observers interpretation because he's wrong in his basic conclusion.

The measures have been brought in, in an attempt to get people back into work. If they are successful then yes they will save the job centre payouts but they will hopefully put more money in the pockets of the job seekers and also boost their self asteem.

I can't believe that anyone would expect such measures to have a great saving on benefits pay outs - the maths just don't add up.

These changes haven't been introduced to try and reduce our national debt - in fact if they are to provide training and assistance then they will require additional funding. The unfortunate thing is that they are being introduced during a period where more people are being made redundant.

I don't think people will be tipped out of their wheelchairs and forced to dig ditches. It's more to do with the cases we see and hear about on the tele such as the fella refereeing football matches whilst claiming incapacity benefit.

I'm sure we all know someone, somewhere who hasn't worked for years because of a "bad back".

I have a niece born with spina-bifida who has an admin job, and I worked at a hospital where a blind person worked in the dark room. They weren't forced to work, they chose to.

We need to get those who can work, working, otherwise we are commiting financial suicide as a country.