Assisted Suicide?

observer

Take your point Paul; but if certified by two independent Doctors as sane and rational, the wishes of the individual should be honoured. :? A fairly logical and altruistic act on the part of that young Rugby player imo, releasing him from his own torture, and taking a burden from his family and the State. :cry:

Assisted suicide: I am all for it depending on the circumstances - If I could have I would have helped my father die more quickly than he did - after watching his pain worsen for 23 days, he finally died. I thought "If he had been a dog, they would have put him down humanly", but he was a man so he had to suffer. Life is ironic and moronic.

Yes I could agree with you, Mary, in the case of my own father. He was in hospital suffering from lung cancer when he had a stroke. The doctors, in their wisdom, decided to "let him go" and, in effect, starved and dehydrated him to death. I saw him 6 hours before he died and I wanted to end his suffering. I would have put a pillow over his face but my conscience stopped me. I have agonised about it ever since as he, himself, would never see an animal suffer that way and never did.

The medical staff, in my dad's case, did hasten his death. He would have lived at least another 6 months with medical intervention but the method they used, withdrawal of all sustenance, was inhumane and cruel. Had they asked me, I would have sanctioned a quick injection.

God forbid I will end my days at the mercy of the the present laws regarding assisted suicide.

Take your point Paul; but if certified by two independent Doctors as sane and rational, the wishes of the individual should be honoured. :? A fairly logical and altruistic act on the part of that young Rugby player imo, releasing him from his own torture, and taking a burden from his family and the State. :cry:

But what if they're sane & rational but not terminally ill, as per the rugby player in question? Would you still say that the medical profession (& the state) should asist in their suicide?

The problem is, where do you stop? Someone is a bit depressed & says they want to end it all; because the doctors who agree to participate in this practice are the ones who will believe that the individual should have their wishes honoured, as you say.

And please don't think I'm attacking you, Obs. My mother died of cancer couple of days ago I believe you me, if it were me, at this moment in time I would want to be able to end it. But like I say, where do you stop?

It's an ethical debate, open to all points of view, the point is none of us has the right to consign others to their wishes, whatever position they take. :? People with depression, I suppose would be regarded as mentally ill, and thus not of sound mind to make a rational decision? :? A fit young man, used to sport (rugby), suddenly discovers his mind is trapped in a body that doesn't function - seems to me, that he made a rational decision. :shock: The nature of his disability would naturally require "assistance" - however, I do tend to wonder why others do need "assistance". :shock: