Jamie Oliver's crusade -

observer

it is all very well but who would take the time to teach another how to cook any dish. a lot of people today just don't seem to haver the time. it is a case of it is not on the plate in ten minutes then i don't want to cook it.

as for stir fry you really need a wok burner to do them proper as a normal cooking ring does not reach a high enough temperature to give the quick cooking times that stir fry uses. if you have ever watched a stir fry being cooked in a chinese you will see that the pan is glowing when they chuck the ingredients in.

i agree with his principle that everybody should be able to cook and it seems that a lot of youngsters these days would be willing to learn. i learned early and was taught by two of the best cooks around. my grandmother who was a cook in a country house for a while and my mother who was taught by her. also a lot of trial and error was involved. some results were almost inedible but having been brought up not to waste food if at all possible it was usually choked down, albeit reluctantly and inspired me to do better next time.

You can get away with a wok on a normal burner; the oil needs to be smoking before the first ingredient is thrown in: meat has to be thinly sliced so it more or less cooks instantly: throw in the greens, garlic, ginger, chillies, and the oyster and soy sauce and you've got a chinese in minutes! :wink:

I prefer Delia Smith and Rick Stein myself :) but I can appreciate what he's trying to do which is to get people to cook and use good quality produce rather than ready made stuff and no one can knock him for that really, and make a living in a rather competative field these days and appear to have a fresh new way of looking at lets face it, what you might have for tea really :roll:

• 2 weeks later...