Family Tree.

SiannieR

Brereton, Cliffe, Houghton, Roughsedge.

I am researching my family tree containing the above surnames. These branches of the family lived in Warrington, Appleton, Stockton Heath and Preston Brook. I have managed to about 1700's but am now getting stuck. My family moved away from Stockton Heath in the 1970's and I now have no living relatives that I know there to ask. Any help or information would be appreciated. Many thanks.

Hi,

I was wondering if any of your family could of been christened at Great Sankey. Why I ask is I am one of the transcribers on the http://www.lan-opc.org.uk/ and have come across the name Roughsedge and Houghton a number of times in the parish I am covering which is Great Sankey. This is an ongoing project and by no means complete but if you didn't know of the site it may be of some help.

Good Luck

Thank you for you quick reply. I haven't come across Great Sankey yet. I have got upto John Roughsedge of Preston Brook (B Abt:1814) and Emma L. his wife who possibly came from Daresbury. Their residence was Preston on the Hill in 1851 with seven children. The Houghton's I have upto are Jonathon Houghton (B Abt: 1809) in Whitley, Warsington (not sure where this is) and his wife Mary of Great Budsworth, they lived in Witton (another place I don't know), Cheshire in 1861 and had nine children. The Roughsedge's and the Houghton's come through my grandfathers line. The Brereton's and the Cliffe's through my grandmothers line. I will take a look at the link you posted, thank you again and for any future help you can give me.

There is a Graham Roughsedge who is a Stockton Heath Parish Councillor, can be contacted via:

clerk@stocktonheathpc.org.uk

PS The Houghton's I have upto are Jonathon Houghton (B Abt: 1809) in Whitley, Warsington (not sure where this is)

It is Warrington....just south of the M56

PPS There is a Lilian Houghton JP involved with Warrington North Conservative Association...sh lives in Culcheth in the North East of the town.

[ 23.03.2008, 11:22: Message edited by: Paul Kennedy ]

Dear Paul, Thank you for the information, I too have found Jonathon Houghton in the 1871 Census, the same one, but I am not too sure of him as yet. The definate is John Houghton - 1853(who may be the son of Jonathon and Mary) I have his date of birth and know he came from Appleton. I have been using a family tree programme with access to Windows World - maps, but haven't looked that up as yet. When I find it I will let you know. As you have this information, is it part of your tree too?

Dear Tony, re: Brereton - I have got as far as Charles Brereton and his wife Hannah Palin, who both came from Middlewich and the oldest definate census is from 1871. At the moment I am interested in finding out more about my great uncle Charles Brereton (1886) It appears he returned to England to fight in WW1, joined the South Lancashires, he fought in La Bassee in France and went missing with others, was presumed a POW but from a newspaper clipping I have it appears that it was his brother Sam who was the POW in Germany and he was presumed killed/missing in action. I am not sure where to find further information regarding this.

Originally posted by Siannie:

Dear Paul, Thank you for the information, As you have this information, is it part of your tree too?

No, and have to admit I personally don't do family trees...but good luck with yours.

PS here is a link to the S.Lancs...they offer a research facility:

http://qlrmuseum.co.uk/qlrmuseum/South%20Lancashires.htm

[ 26.03.2008, 08:14: Message edited by: Paul Kennedy ]

Whitton is Northwich area,I was looking at St .Helen the church last night,some fine stained glass windows.If you type Whitley in your search engine it will bring a map up of this area.I printed one off last night ,it will show Gt. Budworth.My Gt.+grandmother came from there Whitley.

I have found some Cliffe's in my tree Lower Whitley.Peter Cliffe c1825 married to Mary Stringer 1845 Gt.Budworth.Children William c1846,Alfred c1848,Emily,c1849,,Alice c1851 ,Joseph c1856 and Eleanor c1861 all born Lower Whitley.Joseph married Emma Jane Thomason abt.1880 ,my connection is Thomason.That's if I have it correct of course.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

N.B. Finally found the book of family newspaper clippings that my mum gave me....

Obituary for John Houghton stated 'at the funeral service in Stockton Heath Independent Methodist Church were many representatives of the Ancient Order of Druids, of which Mr Houghton was the oldest member.' also 'It is interesting to note that Mr Houghton, whose death was reported in "The Examiner" last week, unearthed many relics of the old Roman days at Stockton Heath, and for some time worked along with Mr T May, the antiquarian, at the Warrington Museum.'

John Houghton died 28th Feb 1935.

Any suggestions for finding out anything further on these?

p.s. now in contact with Brereton relations in Canada...

Brereton, Cliffe, Houghton, Roughsedge.

I am researching my family tree containing the above surnames. These branches of the family lived in Warrington, Appleton, Stockton Heath and Preston Brook. I have managed to about 1700's but am now getting stuck. My family moved away from Stockton Heath in the 1970's and I now have no living relatives that I know there to ask. Any help or information would be appreciated. Many thanks.

Have you got a Betty Houghton who married Joseph Thomason 21/12/1773 Gt.Budworth Cheshire? Their children were bapt. Gt.Budworth and Higher Whitley at St.Lukes.Betty 's father could be Peter or Isaac Houghton,There were two Betty Houghton's born 1755 in Gt. Budworth.Joseph and Betty Thomason were my Gt.+grandparents.