Traffic-nearly gridlocked.

Peter T

Farrel St is closed both ways. You can't get over Kingsway Bridge heading to Man. Rd. But you can come back that way.

There appeared to be two cars and possibly a couple of bicycles involved. Road still closed 1720 hrs. Traffic is going down Grange Av. and then getting directed back into the village to go down Knutsford Rd. aaaaaaaaaaaaagh.

Rumour has it, that a mobile phone was being used. :shock::twisted:

Are you that surprised? I have noticed a lot of people driving whilst on the phone since going back to work after the summer holidays. It really annoys me. What is the point of having a law that can't be policed? It seems the bigger and more expensive the car the more likely they are to be on the mobile - or is that just my working class insecurities coming through? I know the roads in Warrington are in a dreadful state but do we really need to drive a Range Rover Sport to negotiate the pot holes? My Fiat suspension manages to cope! Apparently she also hit another car.

I'd like to think that the book will be thrown at the driver but the cynic in me reckons she'll get nothing more than a slap on the wrist. My sympathies go out to the family and friends of the lady involved. I also wish a speedy recovery to the her husband.

Are you that surprised? I have noticed a lot of people driving whilst on the phone since going back to work after the summer holidays. It really annoys me. What is the point of having a law that can't be policed? It seems the bigger and more expensive the car the more likely they are to be on the mobile - or is that just my working class insecurities coming through? I know the roads in Warrington are in a dreadful state but do we really need to drive a Range Rover Sport to negotiate the pot holes? My Fiat suspension manages to cope! Apparently she also hit another car.

I'd like to think that the book will be thrown at the driver but the cynic in me reckons she'll get nothing more than a slap on the wrist. My sympathies go out to the family and friends of the lady involved. I also wish a speedy recovery to the her husband.

So she is guilty then Milly. That will save the justice system a fortune and no doubt help to clear up any backlogs. No trials just go on hearsay :wink:

How awful :cry: My thoughts and deepests sympathies go to the couples families and friends :cry:

I'm sure the fact that it was a Range Rover is somewhat insignificant.

Sadly any type of vehicle driven with distraction , lack of concentration or skill can become a lethal weapon against other road users :cry:

I'd like to think that the book will be thrown at the driver if she is found guilty but the cynic in me reckons she'll get nothing more than a slap on the wrist. My sympathies go out to the family and friends of the lady involved. I also wish a speedy recovery to the her husband.

So she is guilty then Milly. That will save the justice system a fortune and no doubt help to clear up any backlogs. No trials just go on hearsay :wink:

Ok - anything to save a few pennies! Seriously though, I went a bit off topic with the mention of the mobile because in the last month I've noticed a lot of people on mobiles while driving. Just look around when you're stopped at traffic lights, there's loads of people doing it. As for the Range Rover, I just don't see the point in having a big beast of a car in town. They take up too much space and the number of people that can't handle them properly is scary - just watch the school run! I've added a bit to my quote for the purpose of 'innocent till proven guilty' but the rest still fits.

Your point of ' :x ' means what exactly PJ :?:

Sorry Dismayed if I got what you were saying wrong but it seems to me that you presume that the driver of the car which hit the cyclist was distracted and therefore at fault when in reality we do not know who was to to blame as nobody has even been charged yet let alone been tried at court. Again sorry if I misread wht you meant and admittedly I do have a bit of a bee in my bonnet today.

Sadly any type of vehicle driven with distraction , lack of concentration or skill can become a lethal weapon against other road users :cry:

The fact of the matter is if the car were of more regular size, the husband may still have a wife, and the kids may still have a mother

I give up. lets find a rope and hang her. :twisted:

Innocent until proven guilty

My thoughts are with the family & friends of the deceased and best wishes go out to her husband who I understand was seriously injured.

PS With regards to mobile phones, most modern phones and cars have blue tooth and in those cases there would be no need to hold a phone whilst driving....and a small plug in blue tooth device is only about ?20 for those cars without it. I once suggested politely to a motorist that they shouldn't be using a mobile and was told in no uncertain terms what I could do!

Your point of ' :x ' means what exactly PJ :?:

Sorry Dismayed if I got what you were saying wrong but it seems to me that you presume that the driver of the car which hit the cyclist was distracted and therefore at fault when in reality we do not know who was to to blame as nobody has even been charged yet let alone been tried at court. Again sorry if I misread wht you meant and admittedly I do have a bit of a bee in my bonnet today.

Sorry PJ seems we are both mis-understanding each other tonight :?

My comment re: levels of distraction and bad driving etc were meant in a more general way and were not intentionally aimed at the lady driver of of the range rover which was involved in the accident. Like you say 'we' were not there so really have no right to comment or throw daggers as we do not know the actual facts.

The point I was trying to make is that as soon as a 4x4 is mentioned whether it be traffic congestion, parking or in this very sad case, a loss of life, some people do tend to jump to the conclusion that '... it's the size of the 4x4's that is at fault and all drivers of 4x4's are idiots'... :?

I was merely trying to point out that ANY vehicle, of whatever size, can be just as lethal :cry:

I hope I never ever find myself on either side of such an awfull situation.

I'm not sure I am explaining myself any clearer now though, and I am sorry but I really don't know what else to say :cry:

Dismayed, we need to be careful what we post regarding such serious incidents as we do not know the truth of the matters nor is it our job to apportion any blame. Just because the vehicle inolved was a 4x4 doesn;t automatically assume that the guilty party was at the wheel.

The fact of the matter is if the car were of more regular size, the husband may still have a wife, and the kids may still have a mother

What utter nonsense. Since when does it matter how big the car is as to wether it is more of a killing machine?

A big car driven slowly and carefully will cause less damage that a small car driven fast and recklesly

It worries me when I see relatively young people at the wheels of powerful vehicles especially those designed primarily for off road use. I?ve seen quite a few accidents (mainly women as it happens) where they?ve simply lost control with disastrous consequences and it begs the question as to whether or not there should be some restrictions applied to inexperienced drivers with such vehicles.

Baz said ? Since when does it doesn?t matter how big the car is.? I say it does matter when the size and or the power require a much higher skill level than the conventional family car. Land Rovers in particular aren?t the most agile of things and require a completely different method of driving. Put a turbo charged V8 in one, call it a sport version and it?s a potential killing machine in inexperienced hands.

Bill :)

Like some of us have already said Bill.....Any vehicle in inexperienced hands can be dangerous.

Is is very difficult to get insurance for very high powered and 4x4 type vehilces if you are an inexperienced driver...

Going up in age slightly I have just looked an a site that does price checks... I put myself down as age 25 (I wish) but with only 2 years driving experience, with a job that I know is not high rated for insurance purposes, and for a Land Rover ...... only 5 comanies would actually insure me. Prices ranged from ?3000 to ?4000 for the year :shock:

The majority of companies would still NOT insure 'me' at that age even after the two year good driving record that seems to count these days 8)

Guess if you have wealthy parents who will pay for it I it's ok though :wink:

Maybe there should be a change though and the age limit for powerful beasts should be raised to at least 25... and those with more than 5 years clean driving..

But then that would still leave all the young boy/girl racers on the roads in their little modified Peugeots etc (not forgetting their deafening boom boom box stereo systems :?) who are just as dangerous. How they can concentrate when driving is beyond me :shock:

As for large 4x4's Bill and driving method, if you are a good experienced driver then the slight diferences will be obvious anyway :wink:

I'm waffling on again sorry :oops: