What are our priorities?

observer

The government should have been focused on the UK and not the international stage.

crime and punnishment, we need to be less tollerent, more prisons, longer sentancing.

stricter immigration law.

no economic migrants

renationalization of energy and transport industries.

no smoking ban, there should have been licenced smoking pubs.

tighter regulations on benefits, especialy for disablement benefit, which is abused and then reduces funds available to those that realy need it, like those that cant walk who have to buy their own wheelchairs, while those that scam milk the funds.

Sadly all political parties have only one priority and that is to further the own ends of there own party. They represent only what they are told to represent and all individualism is now a ticket to back bench obscurity. There is a production line churning out these souless careerists who will quite hapilly pin their colours to any passing mast they think they may gain personal benefit from. The days when you could look up to or admire a politician are well and truly a thing of the ever more distant past. There are no good politicians around anymore, just self serving, I'm alright Jack non entities. :x

They represent only what they are told to represent and all individualism is now a ticket to back bench obscurity.

There are no good politicians around anymore, just self serving, I'm alright Jack non entities. :x

There are some politicians who like to be on the back benches, where they can focus their attention on particular subjects, and can be quite influential and being seen as an expert. Frank Field comes to mind.

Actually I think there are some good politicians in all parties and at all levels, they just tend not to make the headlines, preferring to work quietly in the background. It is of course true that some....maybe many are self serving, but that is of course true in many other walks of life and politicians are meant to be representative of the population at large.

Personally, if somebody can tell me how I, for example, am self serving then I'd be interested in being told and then debate. It is true that I do derive some personal satisfaction in getting things done...for those I represent and who have sought my help....could that be deemed to be self serving....that is for others to decide.

In terms of priorities for our country, my thoughts would be an aim to be largely self sufficient in key areas of food and energy....over the last decade or so, the opposite has happened, added to which I would include reducing the cost and simplification of "Government" at all levels.....again over the years it has become more expensive, much more controlling and much more complicated and beyond the understanding of the citizens it is meant to work for. It has become a self perpetuating "industry".

No doubt your an exception that proves the rule Paul; but the majority of MPs are basically voting fodder, who follow the Party Whip on all matters like sheep. :roll: One of the reasons for the anti-Brown whinging of late, is that a large number of these sheep see their financial perks and their secure little worlds starting to collaspe with the next election! :wink: