Carrot cake

Tilly

As a special request I made this, it tastes "home made" but it was my very first attempt and I think it was very yummy, it's a "large" cake so make sure yur hungry or have cake fans about. I found it on BBC food website which I can highly recommend.

You'll need:

300g plain flour

2 tsp cinnamon

1 tsp baking powder

Good heaped tsp bicarbonate of soda

200g soft brown sugar

4 eggs

250ml sunflower oil

1 orange , just the zest

1 lemon , just the zest

200g carrots , finely grated

150g walnuts , chopped

Frosting - 125g unsalted butter at room temperature

50g icing sugar

250g cream cheese

To make the cake:

Heat the oven to 150C/fan 130C/gas 2. Line a 20cm, 10cm deep cake tin. Sift the flour, cinnamon, baking powder and bicarbonate of soda together and stir in the sugar. Beat the eggs with the oil and citrus zests. Stir in the carrots and fold everything into the flour mixture. Fold in the walnuts and pineapple if using. Spoon the mixture into the tin and bake for 1 hour 20 minutes or until a skewer comes out clean, it took me another 20 mins in my oven and it was noted as a comment re the recipe website that some people had found it took longer so dont worry. Allow to cool.

For the frosting, beat the butter and icing sugar together until soft and then beat in the cream cheese. Chill the mixture until it's thick but spreadable.

I cut cake in half and sandwiched together with half the rosting then put half on top and decorated with whole half walnuts but you can do what suits you.

It is very yummy and I will definately make again if a certain someone is very good :wink:

Hi Mary. do you mean ready cook eeny weeny ickle ones? I grated the ones I used and they were raw when they went into the mixture. Other people on the forum bit of the website I used had used other nuts rather than walnuts like Pecans etc.

Do you have a recipe of your own for carrot cake? Would you share it? :D

I be happy too!

2 cups flour

1 tsp. baking soda

1 tsp. baking powder

1 tsp. salt

1 tsp. cinnamon

2 cups sugar

1 1/2 cups oil - canola or any vegetable oil

2 jars (Jr. baby food) carrots

4 eggs

1 tsp. vanilla

Mix together the flour, baking soda, baking powder, salt and cinnamon. Set aside. Mix sugar and oil together. To this sugar and oil mixture add carrots, eggs (one at a time) and vanilla then mix well. Add the dry ingredients and mix. Bake in 9 x 13 inch un greased cake pan for 35 minutes (or until done) in a 350 degree oven.

FROSTING:

1 lg. pkg. cream cheese (room temperature) think its about 8 Ounces

1/4 c. butter

1 box powdered sugar

1 tsp. vanilla

Mix cheese and butter together. Add powdered sugar. Beat until smooth. Add vanilla. Spread on carrot cake when cake has cooled.

One thing I do at Christmas is to use small loaf pans (2 or 3) and then after they have cooled - take them out - frost them and then give them away as gifts.

Enjoy!

Peter T :oops: But yes you are correct, ask anyone who knows me :wink: ps ru you following me round here :)

Dismayed - I'm not being sarcastic hun, I know what you blokey blokes are like, really what you would like is for someone to go and get one for you and go "there you are dear" wouldn't you ? :wink:

Dismayed - I'm not being sarcastic hun, I know what you blokey bolkes are like, really what you would liek is for someone to go and get one for you and go "there you are dear" wouldn't you ? :wink:

:oops::oops: Now I'm really embarrased about my cooking skills Tilly..... I'm not a 'blokey bloke'...... I'm a 'girlie girl' who has to contend with a grown up blokey and teen blokey who are very set in their ways when it comes to what they will eat :shock::cry:

I will get them to eat more home made stuff (and carrot cake) if it kills me... as long as my naff cooking skills don't kill them first :shock::lol:

Bless you, glad you could read through my SP's in my last post, have now edited, very poor :roll:

What on earth makes you think that you're not a good cook? Everyone who cooks makes mistakes, it's about practice and building your confidence ad you're half way there because at least you're trying, you should be very proud of your self, its so much easier to get ready made and although there is a place for good quality ready made, once you've got basic store cup board stuff in and freezer stuff etc etc then all you need is to get thr fresh stuff as and when and it's cheaper in the long run.

Have a look on UKTV Food, BBC Food, and famous cooks websites, soem people do and some people dont like Delia BUT her how to cook books are really good regarding the basics and once you master them you're half way there.

Keep trying, I think you're brill :wink:

Thanks Tilly....

They now have 1 week..... I have given them the option to choose a weeks menus from a healthy book of recipies which I will happily attempt :? ..... if they wont do that or wont eat what I chose from the recipes then they do hungry or I'll go mad :lol:

I'll check out the web sites you mention... :wink:

Dismayed - I'm not being sarcastic hun, I know what you blokey bolkes are like, really what you would liek is for someone to go and get one for you and go "there you are dear" wouldn't you ? :wink:

:oops::oops: Now I'm really embarrased about my cooking skills Tilly..... I'm not a 'blokey bloke'...... I'm a 'girlie girl' who has to contend with a grown up blokey and teen blokey who are very set in their ways when it comes to what they will eat :shock::cry:

I will get them to eat more home made stuff (and carrot cake) if it kills me... as long as my naff cooking skills don't kill them first :shock::lol:

Fancy thinking Dismayed was a bloke and into cooking - we all know REAL men don't cook (or iron or do the shopping!) (Lights blue touch paper and stands back!) :lol:

Fancy thinking Dismayed was a bloke and into cooking - we all know REAL men don't cook (or iron or do the shopping!) (Lights blue touch paper and stands back!) :lol:

Is that because you don't know how to?

We should all have these skills and share the workload. That way everybody is happy, except for Gary.

ME, get angry with you, NEVER, you, poor soul, you know not what you do :roll:

I do however agree with you, I do have, what may be deemed by some as "old fashioned" values, anyway I'd never trust a man to iron properly or do the shopping with out coming home with a weeks worth of pie and not sticking to the list :wink:

Ermm.... dont know where my "quote" went but above in response to Garys post if no one had guessed - Gary, the quote buttons broke :?

• 2 weeks later...